Optimax compreesor. What year did they introduce the new style

Hi

curious. What year did mercury introduce the nee style opti compressor? The black 2 bearing design

iv stumbled upon 2007 but then read someone with a 2010 had the old

from what I gather, 2011 should indicate the new style

Looking at a 2011 opti 250proxs Curious if i should be worried with 385 hours

2. Member
    My 2010 and 2017 both have the new style.

3. Member
    I don't think it really matters to be honest. I have a 03 250xs with what looks to be the original one still on it with over 900hrs and running fine. My 05 225 opti has a black one on it with 500hrs.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury does not use "years", so the question is nearly impossible to accurately answer.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

The "newer" vs "older" style compressor situation is far more internet-engineered hype, than anything. Those of us that work with them regularly have seen failures in virtually any of the dozen+ revisions over the years, and no one model has been significantly less prone than another.

I've seen cases where someone "insisted" on changing their perfectly good compressor... a few hours later the new one grenades, while the perfectly good one was sitting on the shelf in his garage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Anything that has various factors its a hard topic to pin point

Agreed Don
    Hits the pocket hard though

6. Member
    I tell ya, new compressor, I disassemble and soak rod in two stroke oil for a day then reassemble and it all seems happy after that
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Also leave endcap upside down, crank, let two stroke oil sit in it,
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Also leave endcap upside down, crank, let two stroke oil sit in it,
    disassemble a new compressor and soak in oil? as a maintenance procedure? I understand the rod drying up. makes sense. new design makes sense also.
    apply some oil in the inlet hose if sitting or before after storage also makes

end caps? guess I would need one in front of me. im on the hunt for 250 XS, so im racking my brain with all the known issues, precautions

9. Member
    Ron is just going above and beyond to ensure lubrication of the bearing, for the initial start-up after replacement. Nothing wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Ron is just going above and beyond to ensure lubrication of the bearing, for the initial start-up after replacement. Nothing wrong with that!

Learning as I go. I love that extra care.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll add: I personally don't go to that great a length with lubrication. BUT... it's absolutely NOT hurting ANYTHING, and if you've ever opened up a "good" used compressor, they're lubed up quite nicely (frankly, a mess of oil).

I've long suspected most of these failures involved some level of corrosion and suggested a few drops be added when it will sit... he's just taking it to the next level and that's great.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I'll add: I personally don't go to that great a length with lubrication. BUT... it's absolutely NOT hurting ANYTHING, and if you've ever opened up a "good" used compressor, they're lubed up quite nicely (frankly, a mess of oil).

I've long suspected most of these failures involved some level of corrosion and suggested a few drops be added when it will sit... he's just taking it to the next level and that's great.
    I agree. Topping off oil levels, or radiator fluid, or even windshield fluid for that matter. knowing things are in check and above and beyond always bring peace of mind like packing the cooler with extra beers just in case one spills

13. Member
    SPILLS drink fast , stay thirsty my friend
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................