Thread: ARM

Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

ARM

Wow. Is ARM the next NVDA, SMCI? I think it is. But when to buy? Sitting here waiting for a red candle...... was hoping to get some at $100, no luck yet
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    Several analysts have it listed as strong sell, sell, or hold. A few have it as a buy. They had a great earning report and outlook so who knows. I'm not sold on it yet. Just my opinion. BTW...I love this section of BBC. I wish more participated.

**Edit, a couple of those ratings I mention above are over a month old, so there is that. It's so new it's a gamble but isn't that what the market is anyway?

3. Member
    Was this move a result of a short squeeze and will it head down once the shorts cover? That is what one of the talking heads put out there but whether it is true or not is anyone's guess.

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I don't think its a short squeeze, recent data has just 10mil shares where short, 1.5 short ratio.

I'll have to do some work over the weekend on it. I remember not investing in it when it IPO'd because I thought it was just a cell phone chip company. I didn't know they are integrated with NVDA and are nearly in every piece of electronic on the planet, according to the CFO in a CNBC interview.

I grabbed a few shares around 118 and will add at lower prices, just for a trade.....for now. It may turn into an investment.

Time to start building my portfolio back up.
    Thanos was the hero

I sold it on January 30th took a small profit but nothing like what happened today

I just turned 60, and have the option to spin some of my 401k monies into a self directed IRA, perhaps away from my retirement mutual funds. What sources are y'all using for this info?
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    I just turned 60, and have the option to spin some of my 401k monies into a self directed IRA, perhaps away from my retirement mutual funds. What sources are y'all using for this info?

If you were a friend or relative, I would tell you not to. I would say you're too late to try and start learning about investing in individual stocks. But, if you have money to lose, I would say it's not impossible to learn, just understand that you don't have time to make up any losses that you are likely to take on.

But, I don't know you and your financial situation........

I will spend some time on the companies website and read their financial reports. If I still like the company, the growth story and most importantly the growth in earnings story, then I will seek out the bear story. There's always a bear story for any company that gaps up 50%.
    Thanos was the hero

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Wow. Is ARM the next NVDA, SMCI? I think it is. But when to buy? Sitting here waiting for a red candle...... was hoping to get some at $100, no luck yet
    close to your $100 target now

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    close to your $100 target now

I bought a little at 105, will buy more at 100 and 95. Then decide this weekend on what to do in terms of a stop, or if Im gonna hold it for awhile.
    Thanos was the hero

I was originally in for around $50 in October. Just didn’t hold long enough. I also had no idea until yesterday that they did business with NVDA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    I enjoy reading and learning about the market and simply got tired of paying someone 1% to underperformed the S&P500. I sold every fund he had me in and took 50% of that cash and bought an S&P500 ETF. the other 50% is what I invest in individual equities. I keep it pretty simple and buy what I know. But...I also pay for a subscription service that will give me more info on any ticker symbol than I could ever want. They have their recommendations but I've got to where I look for certain trends and buy when I think it's right. Value, upside potential, growth, dividends, to name a few. I use stops to protect against big losses. So far, for me, the service has proven to be worth it many times over and my equities port way outperforms the S&P.

All that to say it's not for everyone but there are ways to start in the shallow end of the pool. I'm no expert and I'm NOT giving anyone financial advice. This just works for me.
    Last edited by Kskeet; 02-09-2024 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kskeet View Post
    I enjoy reading and learning about the market and simply got tired of paying someone 1% to underperformed the S&P500. I sold every fund he had me in and took 50% of that cash and bought an S&P500 ETF. the other 50% is what I invest in individual equities. I keep it pretty simple and buy what I know. But...I also pay for a subscription service that will give me more info on any ticker symbol than I could ever want. They have their recommendations but I've got to where I look for certain trends and buy when I think it's right. Value, upside potential, growth, dividends, to name a few. I use stops to protect against big losses. So far, for me, the service has proven to be worth it many times over and my equities port way outperforms the S&P.

All that to say it's not for everyone but there are ways to start in the shallow end of the pool. I'm no expert and I'm NOT giving anyone financial advice. This just works for me.
    Thank you. I'm generally conservative, but I also watched a few of my college kid employees make $50k apiece over a few weeks during the Gamestop thing, and then watch them flip that into REITS. And they were 20 year old college kids! I am not completely risk averse, and don't plan on playing with fire. I just want to know where to start
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

13. Member
    I actually got some at $53 and $46. I didn’t want to go all in because I was nervous about the start up investors dumping their shares to pocket their profits. Now it’s gone too high for me to buy more. I personally think the short positions are too high. I got it because of how well the ARM chip works in the new, post Intel chip, Apple computers. Very efficient chip, also runs all the iPhones and iPads. It is not a “chip company” though, it’s chip architecture licensing. It runs the Mac operating system, but also runs Windows in the Mac computers like the Intel Macs do. Quite well I might add. It’s no NVDA though (but well attached to Apple).

14. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Gonna be a quick trade with a tight stop. By my estimation, and I could be wrong, I think ARM would have to trade at around $60 to have a similar Forward PE as NVDA. NVDA has a Fwd PE of 45, and could be significantly cheaper after earnings. ARM is about 92.

I am more comfortable buying NVDA at $750 than I am buying ARM at 115.
    Thanos was the hero

15. Member
    I agree, NVDA is cheaper than ARM at this point. I think ARM is more comparable to AMD though (as to what they do, not valuation).