Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    I should have added that even with the impressive mpg i have seen with the 3.0 i will probably continue to get the regular 3/4 ton duramax in the future for the sake of having a 3/4 and the total capacity. to me the real question would be do you want a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton?
    I think you’re right. I was going to buy a 2500 before this truck but didn’t think I would need it. The more I look back on it I should’ve bought one. As I stated before I tow almost every weekend throughout the year. I don’t think the 1500s are meant for the beating of towing all the time. Should probably just bite the bullet and get a reliable tow vehicle. Seems as though over the past 10 years the 1500s have turned into grocery getters and not trucks that get used. Damn shame. My previous 2011 1500 seemed to be more stout than this truck

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    16-18 towing a bass boat easy on highway
    Mine gets about the same as yours. Pulling boat depends on terrain 16-18 and empty 18-20. 6.6 3/4 ton 2003 model

Just a FYI the new LZ0 motors are "louder" than the previous LM2 motors meaning you can hear that the engine is a diesel. Not a bad thing just different.

4. Member
    I love my 2022 with the LM2. It's hard to describe after driving v8 gassers for so long. It's just a more pleasurable driving experience....it's slower than a 5.3 but just minimal.

While towing it doesn't downshift and never feels stressed. The lifter DOD/AFM was a concern of mine with the 5.3 and 6.2.

5. Mambi pambi land
    Had a 2020 that i had to go through my states lemon process to have gm buy back. liked the truck so much other then the issues that i got a 2023 now. Was hoping i just got that one bad one but already making 2nd service appointment on new one. Work in auto parts and I am hearing more and more people talking about their issues with the 3.0ls wish i had gone to the 3/4 ton myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by boommer View Post
    Had a 2020 that i had to go through my states lemon process to have gm buy back. liked the truck so much other then the issues that i got a 2023 now. Was hoping i just got that one bad one but already making 2nd service appointment on new one. Work in auto parts and I am hearing more and more people talking about their issues with the 3.0ls wish i had gone to the 3/4 ton myself now.
    So far around here not hardly any problems with the new motor. I think people who run short trips all the time are most problems. I hope mine stays good. I drive a ton of miles all find soon I guess.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

7. Member
    I had a 22 with 3.0, and now a 24 with 6.6....I miss the baby duramax!!!! Got 19 mpg pulling my 921 elite, got 29-33 empty. Got the new 3/4 ton cause we want a camper for retirement. I'm here to tell you these things might get 18mpg running empty if you're going downhill....in neutral....with the engine off!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Genovese View Post
    I had a 22 with 3.0, and now a 24 with 6.6....I miss the baby duramax!!!! Got 19 mpg pulling my 921 elite, got 29-33 empty. Got the new 3/4 ton cause we want a camper for retirement. I'm here to tell you these things might get 18mpg running empty if you're going downhill....in neutral....with the engine off!!
    Ya for some reason the new ones use more DEF and more fuel.

lol I agree. I ran 3/4 tons for years. Don't tow heavy anymore. 650 miles for 22 gallons is my average right now. Much better than the 3/4 tons. Towing heavy they are needed other than that I can't see it.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

10. Member
    Bout to say the hell with the 5th wheel we planned on getting for retirement so I can sell the 3/4 ton and go back to 1/2 ton and 3.0 litre. I love the bigger truck but literally get double the mileage out of half ton....no BS....twice the bang for your buck. One of my best friends is the head tech at local dealership. He's in st Louis often for gm training and there's 10 engines with over 300,000 miles that still have original timing chain and oil pump.....food for thought. I was concerned with the design and some will have problems, hell every design has some. But I would have zero concerns having a 3.0 again, just have to give up the idea of a 15,000 lb camper

One who speaks the truth.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Yes And No
    1st Gen 3.0 Duramax had the 8L90E 8 speed until 2020 until the law suit since then it has been the 10 speed 10L90-E and has also had its issues.
    If it were me I would hold off until all the bugs are worked out .. ( Duramax 3.0 has been around since 2019) They have had issues every single year .
    Just like the Ram eco-diesel they are still havuing the same problems 6 years later..
    Vast majority of 3.0L will have 10 speeds and telling someone to hold off on a vehicle because the model 4 year ago had 8 speeds is flat out silly, I follow every 3.0L duramax page there is, they are great engines. Tell me an engine that hasn't had a weird hiccup every now and then, those still make up the vast minority of owners. Yup, the Ram versions are trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    Vast majority of 3.0L will have 10 speeds and telling someone to hold off on a vehicle because the model 4 year ago had 8 speeds is flat out silly, I follow every 3.0L duramax page there is, they are great engines. Tell me an engine that hasn't had a weird hiccup every now and then, those still make up the vast minority of owners. Yup, the Ram versions are trash.
    You are correct x2 Ram Eco-diesel's should have a class action coming out in 2025 and the duramax engine is solid.. Its the rest of the truck thats the problem.. if you have a Chevrolet or GM dealership close to you drive around back at the service center see what the majority of the vehicles are parked back there. My best friends son is a GM Master Tech and he is no longer allowed to talk about anything GM has as a problem current or past. We have a well-known large transmission shop in Doraville Georgia that will not do private work all they do is rebuild transmissions for General Motors now. GM is still contracted to install the same 10 speed transmissions with no changes or upgrades until the end of 2024. Driving habits and Towing dictate the life of the transmission.

14. Member
    My '21 Yukon gets 17-19 mpg pulling my fully loaded up Ranger Z119. Love this motor.

Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    You are correct x2 Ram Eco-diesel's should have a class action coming out in 2025 and the duramax engine is solid.. Its the rest of the truck thats the problem.. if you have a Chevrolet or GM dealership close to you drive around back at the service center see what the majority of the vehicles are parked back there. My best friends son is a GM Master Tech and he is no longer allowed to talk about anything GM has as a problem current or past. We have a well-known large transmission shop in Doraville Georgia that will not do private work all they do is rebuild transmissions for General Motors now. GM is still contracted to install the same 10 speed transmissions with no changes or upgrades until the end of 2024. Driving habits and Towing dictate the life of the transmission.
    This is what extended warranties are for. Just picked up a 2024 GMC AT4 with the 3.0, and there is no way I would own this truck without an extended warranty. The reason for that is there just has not been enough time on this setup to know what will happen in the long term, and I now have 8 years or 100K miles to not worry about it.

16. Member
    Guess we can’t buy fords either since they share a transmission. My 21 3.0 has 66k on it not one problem. Pull everything from an enclosed work trailer, dump trailer, bass boat. Last long trip was down to Fl with a 20ft boat, 18-19mpg.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Guess we can’t buy fords either since they share a transmission. My 21 3.0 has 66k on it not one problem. Pull everything from an enclosed work trailer, dump trailer, bass boat. Last long trip was down to Fl with a 20ft boat, 18-19mpg.
    Yea, just have to shake my head at some of these posts. The 3.0 with the 10 speed is the only GM vehicle I would spend money on right now other than the vette. But that is a completely different class. The 10 speed can be quirky at times but they have proven reliable in our fleet and the local oilfields and farmers I deal with. As far as the 1/2 tons being less capable? I see just the opposite with our shop trucks not needing rear springs added to haul the weight as in the past. Better brakes, more torque and 10 speeds with turbos make towing a pleasure with these trucks. Anyway the 3.0 is on my short list for trucks. Just don't like the MFG. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

18. Member
    I have a 2021 High Country with the 3.0 with 35000 miles, never had any problem or been in for any repairs. Towing my FXR 20 Skeeter averaging 17 mpg, not towing averages about 27 mpg.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twray View Post
    I have a 2021 High Country with the 3.0 with 35000 miles, never had any problem or been in for any repairs. Towing my FXR 20 Skeeter averaging 17 mpg, not towing averages about 27 mpg.
    I see 35K miles and 66K. Anyone here with some real miles on it?

20. Member
    Trucks hadn’t been around that long

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast