Woods Or Hybrids?

Still working on getting clubs together and trying to learn some also.
    I havent used Hybrids much at all.
    As a beginner would I be better off with a 3 or 4 Hybrid and a 5 Hybrid, Or a 3 wood and a 5 Hybrid?

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Most beginners shouldn't carry a 3 wood to begin with. Now, there's a huge loft difference between a 3 wood and 3 hybrid....so how are you arranging your set? I'd go with a 5 or 7 wood then go to a 5 hybrid so that so you don't have such a huge yardage gap at the top of the bag.

Right now all i have are Irons 4-PW Putter.
    Just starting to get my bag set up which is what I was trying to figure out on the Hybrids.
    So I would be better off with a 5 wood and 5 Hybrid you think?

4. Member
    I would get a 4 hybrid instead of a 5 wood and leave the 4 iron in the garage if your just starting to learn.

5. Member
    Yeah, long iron is going to tough on any beginner. But a 4 iron and 4 hybrid are not the same and a 5 hybrid is not equivalent to a 5W. I carry a 4i, 4 hybrid (20 deg) and 4W (16.5), and gapping is perfect.
    4i - 190
    4H- 205
    4W-220

Confused yet
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

[QUOTE=Confused yet [/QUOTE]

Almost

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    You could ditch the 4 iron and replace it with a 4 and 5 hybrid and then add a 5 wood to complete your set. I honestly wouldn't put too much thought into it right now. Just go out and play. If you stick with the game long term, your bag will change a lot over time.

They make super game improvement hybrids, way easier to hit and get the ball in the air for a beginner compared to a long iron. As rebel stated, your bag is going to change over time as you get better. You could go to the callawy pre-owned website, click on super game improvement hybrids and check the prices on some used clubs.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    They make super game improvement hybrids, way easier to hit and get the ball in the air for a beginner compared to a long iron. As rebel stated, your bag is going to change over time as you get better. You could go to the callawy pre-owned website, click on super game improvement hybrids and check the prices on some used clubs.
    Everything I Have bought has been from the Callaway Pre Owned website.
    Even the older set of Irons I bought from there looked barely used.
    Really impressed with the quality of gear they have.

Im looking to at least get to the driving range here soon just to get out.
    Weather has been pretty nice here the last week but looks like its going to turn to the cold stuff again the first of the week.
    My plan was to get my bag set up ready over the winter and when the decent weather starts to get here then ill be ready to play.
    Last edited by Luke; 02-09-2024 at 10:08 AM.

10. Member
    Callaway pre-owned is awesome. Occasionally you'll get a brand new club. Probably a demo that was never used.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

11. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Woods vs hybrids, vs long irons is a very subjective thing and it varies greatly by player. For a long time I replaced by 4 iron with a hybrid even though I have no problem hitting long irons and hitting them high. I've now ditched the hybrid for the Ping I Crossover iron. My problem with a hybrid is I couldn't hit them low enough.