Thread: Caddo Lake

Caddo Lake

Have a trip planned to take Dad up to Caddo Feb 29-March 3. It’s a place I’ve never been, but always wanted to go. Currently lining out our accommodations and had the thought of hitting another lake while in the area. So to the guys that have been, would you A) stay at Caddo the entire trip, B) run over and fish Lake O The Pines 1 out of the 4 days, or C) leave Caddo a day early and hit Naconiche on the way home for a day? Do’s and dont’s while at Caddo are welcome.
    Skeeter FXR21 Limited
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Spent 4 days at caddo in October and spending 5 there near the end of march. IMO, I would plan to stay the entire trip but if not on fish, maybe hit a lake on the way home. DO stay tight in the boat lanes. The lake, while not too big, can take a while to get around due to the way you have to run lanes or idle to areas you want to fish.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

3. Member
    I launched at Johnson’s Landing. Follow boat lanes marked by poles and you will be okay-usually. There could be a submerged log stuck in a lane. I had no problems for the two days I fished it for the first time last year. Folks were friendly there. they run a lot of tours out of there. It is a cool place. LOP is nice but totally different. Get a boat lanes chip as it has random trees that can cause havoc. Check the thread I started last year as I received some good info back then about Caddo.
    good luck and have fun. It is a special place to see and fish.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I ended up putting us down for the first 2 1/2 days at Caddo, and the last 1 1/2 day at Naconiche. Looking forward to some new scenery away from Rayburn.
    Skeeter FXR21 Limited
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Ended up having to make a change of plans and will now be at Caddo all 4 days. This front is probably going to make the bite tough, but we are looking forward to it.
    Skeeter FXR21 Limited
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    You will enjoy all 4 days at Caddo. There is so much to it, the river, the lake, the bayous all could take 4 days each.
    I recommend you fish early and then mid mourning or early afternoon take a run of the trails throughout the lake just to see the various areas of it. That will leave you up river and extreme upriver to check out. I would love to spend 4 days on it. I am headed there for 3 days to fish a club tournament the 8-10. I can't wait to see it in spring condition before the weeds grow up in it. Have fun and enjoy.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    You will enjoy all 4 days at Caddo. There is so much to it, the river, the lake, the bayous all could take 4 days each.
    I recommend you fish early and then mid mourning or early afternoon take a run of the trails throughout the lake just to see the various areas of it. That will leave you up river and extreme upriver to check out. I would love to spend 4 days on it. I am headed there for 3 days to fish a club tournament the 8-10. I can't wait to see it in spring condition before the weeds grow up in it. Have fun and enjoy.
    Thanks for your insight. That is kind of my plan going into it, fish hard then take boat ride breaks to sight-see. Hopefully I can give you a decent update/report next week.
    Skeeter FXR21 Limited
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    How did the trip turn out?

9. Member
    We had a great time. Ended up fishing just daylight to dark Friday and Saturday. Caught a lot of fish Friday, all day long. Saturday at 1pm, we had 1 fish, put our rods down and went sight seeing around the lake and up the river. After about an hour of burning fuel, we started fishing again and commenced to catching them pretty consistent the rest of the day. I so badly wanted to make a swimbait or chatterbait bite happen in some pad stem fields, but dad only boated 1 fish out of them on a spinnerbait. Tried flipping a light jig around with no bites as well. All of our fish minus that one came off of trees throwing wacky and weightless tx rig stick baits. Caught them everywhere from the islands up the LA arm over to Ames Spring Basin and everywhere in between. For our very first time on the lake fishing post-front, we did better than I expected. Definitely a cool place, and hope to make a return trip late spring/early summer. We launched at Shady Glade both days, and ate dinner at Big Pines Friday night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skeeter FXR21 Limited
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Very cool. Glad you and you Dad had a good time. I am headed there Saturday and sunday with my grandson. I hope we can catch enough to keep him happy and entertained. Great pic and will try Big Pines out.

11. Member
    Got on the Lake Saturday about 10:30 after letting my grandson sleep in. It was chilly and windy anyway so a late start seemed to make sense. No fish for 4 hours!!! Then we caught 14 when the sun finally came out. 3 slots and the rest all small. Next day was tournament day and Grandson caught 6 including one slot and the rest all small. I zeroed! Had several goods bites but couldn't get a hook in them! Then the trolling motor conked out with two hours to go. Did have a big gator float up about 20 yards from us. 10+ footer. Slowly sunk back into the weeds. Beautiful day on the water. Bright and sunny and very little wind. No top water bite at all. Finally late Sunday saw a few hit top. water was chilly at 59-61.5 which was much cooler than Fork, which was a little surprising. We both enjoyed Lake Caddo. It is such a cool place visually with the Cypress trees and Spanish moss.

12. Member
    Good to hear yall had a good time together. It really is a neat place to go get "unplugged" from the everyday rat race.
    Skeeter FXR21 Limited
    Yamaha 250 SHO