Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Why didn’t his PFD inflate?

At the 19:00 minute mark he drops his phone in the lake and jumps in after it and his Mustang PFD did not deploy

Now he didn’t go that deep but the water was over his head and you would think it should have deployed

Some things I noticed
    He did some strange editing as he was wearing it for most of this portion yet the scene just before he wasn’t wearing it
    Next note the way he jumps in – like he’s doing a cannonball
    He wasn’t able to climb back in from that side and clearly had to go to the back of the boat

"The handicapped angler"

2. Member
    My inflatable has a green indicator that I check to make sure it is operational, maybe his is out of juice from leak or better yet maybe it was a manual not an auto inflate
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

3. Member
    It had Yamaha on it and Yamaha knows to only do what's necessary at that moment. Smart PFD it's called!

It was actually a 20 year old PFD just for looks!

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    My inflatable has a green indicator that I check to make sure it is operational, maybe his is out of juice from leak or better yet maybe it was a manual not an auto inflate
    Usually a manual one has a nice big handle to pull I didn’t see a pull tab at all
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Most likely one of those two scenarios. I would doubt he buys a manual inflate but its possible. I would lean more towards a malfunction.

6. Member
    A few years ago I pulled my inflatable out of the compartment and threw it on the floor of the boat while getting ready. The CO2 cartridge came flying out of it. Over the years, it had loosened up and on that day it fell out. I now make sure to check it every few trips. Perhaps he had not checked his in a while.

7. Member
    It's a hydrostatic activation that goes off with water pressure. Guess you need enough pressure to activate and rise your body to the surface for recovery.

This is a good illustration of why I’ll never wear and inflatable. Even though the odds of it failing to inflate are low, I won’t roll those dice. It only has to fail once to cost you your life.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Bob G's pool boy
    Because it wasn't working right.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

I actually made the comment on that video asking the very same, but never got a reply.

Typically the Mustang HIT's are the best available, and they do require a certain amount of pressure to deploy, which IIRC is 4ft below surface. So it's either that he didn't get quite far enough down, or there was some sort of malfunction. Or it's a "prop" vest used for making videos even, who knows. But I sure wish he would have responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    This is a good illustration of why I’ll never wear and inflatable. Even though the odds of it failing to inflate are low, I won’t roll those dice. It only has to fail once to cost you your life.
    Agree

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I actually made the comment on that video asking the very same, but never got a reply.

Typically the Mustang HIT's are the best available, and they do require a certain amount of pressure to deploy, which IIRC is 4ft below surface. So it's either that he didn't get quite far enough down, or there was some sort of malfunction. Or it's a "prop" vest used for making videos even, who knows. But I sure wish he would have responded.
    I believe it's 4 inches.
    https://mustangsurvival.com/products...atic-md3184-02

When I jumped off a dock with an expired HIT on (just testing it), it inflated immediately. I was very impressed, especially with out it kept my face out of the water.
    John

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Do you wear your standard PFD the whole day your fishing?

14. Banned
    the important thing is did he get the phone

I think he realized the vest didn't work and took it off to prevent negative advertisements. But I am sure the BBC crowd will get it all figured out.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    No. Only when the outboard is running. There may be a time that I’ll need to wear it all day, but not yet.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    He definitely did a double take when it seems like he noticed it wasn't inflated and takes it off pretty quickly. And he talked about watching his phone flutter down as he went under water to grab it so he was completely submerged at some point. My guess is either the cartridge was way out of date or loose or the vest was a video prop from the beginning. Or lastly which I am not ruling out is that whole scenario was a set up. He started the video wearing the vest and then he had taken it off. Then it was back on for the phone dive. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a set up and he took the cartridge out so it wouldn't go off. No idea and it doesn't really matter to me. I've checked one in a pool and it worked and I use both type now days. If it was for views, it worked. Either way it was good entertainment.
    Last edited by barbarian; 02-08-2024 at 10:12 AM.

AI

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    I do from before I get in the boat until I'm back in the parking lot. I'm old and know I can't swim like I used to

Quote Originally Posted by crawdadking View Post
    I do from before I get in the boat until I'm back in the parking lot. I'm old and know I can't swim like I used to

Not gonna happen here in summertime.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast