Thread: Headwaters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Headwaters

Coming down the 21st of this month but heard that the hyacinths has been building up in front of the ramp. any updates on this? I know it can change day by day, just trying to figure out what lake I may have to change to if we can't get on. Thanks
    Last edited by Bassdeer; 02-14-2024 at 05:08 PM.

2. Member
    Bassdeer, I'm currently on the lake and no trouble
    with the ramp. Wind blowing 20 mph the last 2
    days making it hard to fish. Just small one so far.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    Bassdeer, I'm currently on the lake and no trouble
    with the ramp. Wind blowing 20 mph the last 2
    days making it hard to fish. Just small one so far.
    Good luck
    Thanks, My BIL lives in Port Orange and said the winds been crazy.

4. Member
    Monday there was a lot of hyacinth blocking one of the ramps but the wind cleared them up on Tuesday both ramps were completely clear. As mentioned the wind had been unbelievable for sure. Today it’s supposed to be a lot better but where the wind had been out of the NW today it’s supposed to be more eastward so it may blow the hyacinths back up on the ramp. I’ll be there in about an hour and we’ll see what it looks like. Fishing hasn’t been too good with all the wind. Yesterday we caught 5 and left around 2 or so. I was ready to get out of the wind! Hopefully today will be better.

5. Member
    Friday the canal from ramp to lake was choked up pretty good in a couple of
    places. Coming back in had to drive thru a big patch of hyacinths. There were
    large patches of floating hyacinths/weeds floating in the lake and canals.
    Good luck.

6. Derek McCullough
    FWC is supposed to be cleaning up the ramp area some this week.

7. Member
    I couldn’t believe how much of this floating stuff has grown in the last year. We
    were down the 1st of February last year and there was not near as much floating
    weeds in the lake. I believe they are hyacinths and they are taking over the
    lake. If there is not something done about them then it will change how to fish
    the lake drastically.

8. Member
    I couldn’t believe how much of this floating stuff has grown in the last year. We
    the lake drastically.
    Dont worry about the vegatation and leave it alone, the fish love it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    Dont worry about the vegatation and leave it alone, the fish love it.
    And whatever you do donot mention the word “spray” to the FWC in Florida. Over the past few years they have turned most of our lakes into mud holes with their indiscriminate spraying. They kill every blade of grass they can find and we do not want them spraying in headwaters. They’ll ruin that place too!!

10. Member
    the lake drastically.
    With that attitude you can stay right in Indiana and not come and get our lakes sprayed to death, by demanding that something gets done about the vegetation.

Heading down tomorrow, be on the water at 7:00 am, I post a report tomorrow night.

12. Member
    Arethaz, Did I mention spraying anything??? There are other ways to control the
    weeds other than spraying. When you can’t hardly get back to the ramp because
    the canal is blocked with weeds or get your boat out because the ramps are completely
    blocked it may be time to do something. I saw some sort of weed chopper boat
    over by Headwaters that could do the job.

13. Member
    Arethaz, Did I mention spraying anything??? There are other ways to control the
    weeds other than spraying. When you can’t hardly get back to the ramp because
    the canal is blocked with weeds or get your boat out because the ramps are completely
    blocked it may be time to do something. I saw some sort of weed chopper boat
    over by Headwaters that could do the job.
    Please leave the lake alone, once in a while the ramp gets blocked and the canal gets choked but idling slowly while trimmed all the way down will get you through the hyacinths. If the ramp gets really bad they bring in some heavy equipment to remove it. This rarely happens when the water is low as the vegetation does not float into the canal. I will take this small setback over nearly any alternative.
    2021 Ranger 521C
    2021 Mercury ProXS 250
    3 x Lowrance HDS12's
    1 x Lowrance HDS9
    Active Target

14. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I remember bitching when ramps were choked, you couldn't even put the trailer in the water w/o it coming out with every bunk and cross member -completely- covered in hydrilla. (not Headwaters)

But god how I miss those days now.

15. Member
    Where are these mysterious "headwaters"?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Where are these mysterious "headwaters"?
    Headwaters is a lake located outside Fellsmere Florida. It’s on the same road going to the stick marsh.

When I was there about three weeks ago, they were spraying the hyacinths in the S canal and at the landing. So long as they stay in the S canal and the landing they can spray all they want but leave their rest of the lake alone!!

Fishing was slow, blue bird day with wind out of the north at 10 to 20. Fished with everything and even took shiners, ended up only getting 5 and all on shiners, biggest was around 4lbs. Chopper is right S canal has been sprayed but the rest of the lake looks great. Looked to be about 150 boats on the lake.

18. Member
    I thought you weee going fishing? Shiners?

19. Member
    Gotta love the northerners coming down here only to complain about weeds and somebody (government) needs to "do something" SMH

20. Member
    They have this contraption that looks sorta like an old paddlewheel river boat back from the old days. The paddles grab the garbage on the surface and transfer it to a big barge looking flat boat. Then they take it to a bank and off load it. It works great. That is what they need to use....please do not spray poison on Headwaters.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast