Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Time to Move……..

We’ve discussed the San Antonio/New Braunfels area.

Well…….

We just returned from a week up north, in what I truly believe is God’s Country. We had one of the best vacations that we have ever had (despite the lack of snow). I have not been up to the border country in 22 years (since my last year guiding on LOTW, out of Kenora). The better half has never been up that way.

We spent 3 nights on the North Shore of Lake Superior. We stayed in Two Harbors and stopped everywhere between Duluth and Grand Marais. Had a great time. Then, we headed to Ely for 3 days of dog sledding. The weather was perfect. Almost too warm. 37-41 and sunny every day. We lost what little snow they had, as each day went by. But, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

On the way home, she commented on how stunning it was up there and that she loved it! She said it reminded her of Alaska, less the mountains. Which is exactly what I was telling her. She said she could definitely live there.

Now, to find jobs that actually pay up that way!

I was able to get some great images with my camera (which I’ll post down the road). But, here are some from the phone…….

IMG_9862.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9864.jpeg

IMG_9865.jpeg

IMG_9866.jpeg

IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9868.jpeg

IMG_9889.jpeg

IMG_9891.jpeg

IMG_9892.jpeg

IMG_9894.jpeg

IMG_9895.jpeg

IMG_9896.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

2. Member
    It's why I love living up here. So much to do and truly have all four seasons and things to do during all them, although this winter has sucked.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

3. Member

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Beautiful area for sure. Keep in mind that the mild winter and lack of snow this year is a fluke. Between riding sleds, ATV and fishing you can keep busy. You won’t regret moving up here.

Wow…fantastic pics. Looks like a great time.

6. Member
    Looks like you guys had a great time. Quite a difference in locations you have chosen. Love this area but hate the cold winters more every year. Had my wish going south.

7. Member
    Twice the view, half the pay!

8. Member
    Stunning pictures Looks like a great time!
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuchmann View Post
    It's why I love living up here. So much to do and truly have all four seasons and things to do during all them, although this winter has sucked.
    We have 4 seasons, Mardi Gras season, crawfish season, summer and hunting season. And we can have them in the same day

10. Member
    Very nice, Tks for sharing!

11. Member
    I loved my fly in fishing trip in Manitoba. I remember going through Kenora. I have always wanted to come back during the winter. Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

12. Member
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Slopfishin; 02-06-2024 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate

13. Member
    Northern MN is my favorite place in the world to go. Hope you guys are able to make the move one day!

14. Member
    Wish more if you liked it up there.

Great pics!
    There can indeed be beautiful moments during Minnesota winters - and if you like to ice fish, snowmobile, snowshoe, or x-country ski, there is typically plenty of winter to participate in all those activities.

But this year has been nearly snowless with record-breaking high temps here, so don't take this as typical MN winter. Compared to last year when we were shoveling snow nearly every other day all winter long... which made it a VERY long, unbearable winter.

16. Member
    It's beautiful up there, but I like my lakes to stay liquid. Don't care much for the solid. But I'm a home boy!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Glad you had a great time! Thanks for sharing the great pic;s. Good luck on the job hunt and moving.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Great pics!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

19. Member
    We stop at Ursa minor in Duluth every year on our trek back to the suburbs of Chicago after fishing in Dryden Ontario for a week. Truly a special place but brutally cold in a normal winter and the season never ends. My business partner lives in eagle river now and by April people are truly depressed and tired of it. I would say shoot for a second home.

20. Member
    Appreciate all of the kind words!

We know all about upper midwest winters. We actually love the winter. Summer is our least favorite of the seasons. Fall is our favorite.

While similar, I do not think northern Wisconsin can hold a candle to the border country/Canadian Shield region. I also spoke to some folks while up there and apparently, two of my favorite types of hunting are very good in the area (and under utilized)!

For the person who stated "twice the scenery, half the pay", that about sums it up! Which is why, unfortunately, it will most likely be a retirement thing (unless we can start a business up there). Even the trades are not compensated very well (even with all of the high end lake homes between Duluth and Ely).

As for the beer, Ursa Minor was by far the best. The rest were underwhelming!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast