Possible Shift Actuator Failure

Need help, I am dazed and confused here. 2020 250 pro xs 4 stroke ZB738436. Replaced water pump, lu went back on with ease, literally forefinger and thumb only on the wrench to snug it up before torqued. Put it on the hose everything appeared normal, took to the lake and would only engage forward and would not accelerate, back to the shop a bit confused, drop lu, all appeared fine, put it back up, no forward or reverse engagement and when shifted to forward I get a short alarm, drop lu again everything looks normal, but I shift to forward and get no rotation on actuator, shift to reverse and actuator rotates, same from reverse to neutral. With lu on bench I can manually shift it frwd and reverse and it engages fine. Is this just a heck of a coincidence that the shift actuator has failed? TIA.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

2. Member
    Can any one explain this ?
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

3. Member
    don will likely reply on Monday I bet
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    When you installed the gear case did you follow the V8 procedure?

1. On a right hand rotation gearcase, shift gearcase into drive. (Rotate shift shaft counter clockwise)
    2. Ensure notch in shift coupler aligns with notch in shift actuator
    3. On a right hand rotation gearcase, rotate coupler so notch aligns with "F".
    4. Install gearcase, turn prop shaft if needed.

On page 47 of my owners manual it says if a loss of shift is detected it goes into guardian mode, displays a 339-23 code, horn beeps, and RPM is limited. It says you will only get forward gear. It says if you shift into Reverse you will go forward.

After reading more it says motor will not shift into forward unless you advance the throttle to about the "mid-throttle" position.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 02-05-2024 at 05:18 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Member
    Thank you sir.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    When you installed the gear case did you follow the V8 procedure?

1. On a right hand rotation gearcase, shift gearcase into drive. (Rotate shift shaft counter clockwise)
    2. Ensure notch in shift coupler aligns with notch in shift actuator
    3. On a right hand rotation gearcase, rotate coupler so notch aligns with "F".
    4. Install gearcase, turn prop shaft if needed.

On page 47 of my owners manual it says if a loss of shift is detected it goes into guardian mode, displays a 339-23 code, horn beeps, and RPM is limited. It says you will only get forward gear. It says if you shift into Reverse you will go forward.

After reading more it says motor will not shift into forward unless you advance the throttle to about the "mid-throttle" position.
    Be very careful here. The red text (above) could prove catastrophic if not followed in precisely the context from the manual. I would not attempt anything like this.

Engine should NEVER be shifted unless it is RUNNING. If you do manage to force a shift, it can potentially bend or damage components.

I prefer to remove/install the gearcase in NEUTRAL position and have had zero problems doing so.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor