Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    I had one break when loading on the trailer, bow of the boat jumped the roller and into the tailgate of my truck.
    That’s my fear and why I asked this same question a while back. I have a spare and will be changing mine out every 5 years it’s just cheap piece of mind for me.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    That’s my fear and why I asked this same question a while back. I have a spare and will be changing mine out every 5 years it’s just cheap piece of mind for me.
    So, the question I'm asking myself is; do I stick with the spring that came on my boat and has been working fine since 2006 or should I change to an unproven one that was made in China in 2021?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    So, the question I'm asking myself is; do I stick with the spring that came on my boat and has been working fine since 2006 or should I change to an unproven one that was made in China in 2021?
    The question is how do you know the one that’s on there now isn’t from China? The one I ordered from Amazon was a TH marine spring So it should be the same spring that is on there from the factory.

And on a side note my wife works for a spring manufacture and they still break even though they are made in U.S.A
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    The question is how do you know the one that’s on there now isn’t from China? The one I ordered from Amazon was a TH marine spring So it should be the same spring that is on there from the factory.

And on a side note my wife works for a spring manufacture and they still break even though they are made in U.S.A
    Very good point. I'm just very aware of how the quality of just about everything is in decline. Of course, that's what the old guys were saying when I was a kid too.
    I'll probably go ahead and change mine since I already have it and get another spare from Amazon.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    After 3 years my spring broke last year when getting up on plane. I threw into neutral which was not smart. This is informative thread so folks are aware of them breaking and to remind them of the mechanical safety tab on the hot foot; so you may be ready when it does break. The day it broke I fished using the mechanical safety tab to decrease the throttle. If this was an automobile there would be a recall since the spring does have safety implications.

6. Member
    Thanks for the thread. I ordered a spare.

I've broken one. Definitely a weird feeling....running wide open and wasnt sure what had happened so i pulled the kill switch. Will definitely get your attention

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I had one break running around 85 mph, definitely gets your attention. Just remember toe hook, pull back on it
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

9. Member
    Two in twenty years. Always have a spare on board.

10. Member
    This thread made me order a new one and replace my old one. Now I am worried the old one was of exceptional quality and would have never failed but the new one is junk. Thanks for keeping me from sleeping...

Just had one break on my 2021 Skeeter yesterday in a tournament. Had to use the toe guard to pull back on the hot foot the remainder of the day. I have owned many many bass boats over the last 29 years, and this was the first. I had slowed down to avoid a piece of debris in the water, and as soon as I started to throttle down, it broke. I instantly knew what happened, and pulled back on the toe guard. I just ordered two this morning. I will keep a spare on my boat for now on
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

12. Member
    I broke one a couple of years ago. I got under console and used a tie wrap through a couple wire rounds and made a temp fix. Worked ok for the day

Rather than wait for the spring to break. Might be an item than should be replaced every few years.

14. Member
    Never....however I carry a spare like several listed here.

I did have the throttle linkage break while running WOT at around 70mph at blast off of a derby with about 20 boats behind me. Went to slow down to make the first turn in the river/lake and the boat didn't slow down. Pulled my kill switch and my buddy jumped up on the back deck motioning people to go around. Friggin scary shit....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    After reading that thread I bought one. They only have 7 left

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12