Vault Hubs - How far can you tow with leaking seal?

My boat trailer is nearing 7 years on its set of vault hubs. I bought the boat used around March of 2023, so I have no idea how it’s been maintained prior to my ownership. That being said, I have no signs of any issues currently. However, I’m curious how long I could tow if I lose an inner seal. Let’s say I’m at the lake 100 miles from home and notice that I have a hub leaking grease. Would you just call a flat bed to get you home or would you just go ahead and drive it home slinging grease?

I ask because my old style hubs on my previous boat could be easily repaired or refilled with grease so I could get home. These seem quite a bit different.

On another note, would you recommend having a shop rebuild these hubs soon? Feel like 7 years is a long time.

If the hub is just leaking its not a big deal. The entire hub is full the hybrid grease.
    If you didn't notice the leak and have a wheel covered in grease that’s a different story. After years of traveling the Baja HWY 1. I always carry a bearing and seal kit along with grease. My experience with Vault hubs has been very positive.

3. Member
    Carry a tube of Red n Tacky and a bearing buddy. In the event of a blown seal, this is the Dexter approved “just get my ass home” solution.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Carry a tube of Red n Tacky and a bearing buddy. In the event of a blown seal, this is the Dexter approved “just get my ass home” solution.
    I would presume when you do this that you pull the hub and clean it out before filling with that red grease? That vault grease hybrid doesn’t look that friendly to mix stuff with.

Quote Originally Posted by c_m_25 View Post
    I would presume when you do this that you pull the hub and clean it out before filling with that red grease? That vault grease hybrid doesn’t look that friendly to mix stuff with.
    “just get my ass home” solution.
    You can deal with cleaning at a better time.

6. Member
    Mines a 08. Had a caliper sticking. Got hot and popped Vault cap off. Drove home from a lake about 70 miles . With no cap. Made it home. Replaced everything

7. Member
    I towed my boat home from Jacksonville to Orlando, about 100 miles, with a leaking seal. When I got home, I saw grease slung all over the inside fender. I tore the hub apart and repacked with red and tacky.

How far can you tow with a bad seal? Depends on how much grease gets thrown out. That hybrid oil in the vault hubs gets thin when it gets hot and I imagine it gets thinner as it gets hotter. So as you lose grease, I imagine it gets thinner and then it gets hotter and then things go boom.

The Vault hubs on my 2011 trailer lasted a little over 10 years, with a 10 year warranty, before a caliper stuck and got everything hot and leaking. I rebuilt everything and went with Bearing Buddies and Lucas Marine Grease.

9. Member
    Doing my pre-season checklist a couple weeks ago, I found grease inside one of my wheels from a leaking rear seal. 12 year old vault hubs. Not sure how long it had been leaking. The inside of the wheel was nasty, but it hasnt slung out beyond there. Boatmate sells pre- assembled trailing arms with new spindles, hubs, bearings, etc. Cost a little more, but now everything is new. I went ahead and did both ends of that axle as preventative maintenance.

20240206_172118.jpg
    20240206_181353.jpg

You can probably tow 100 miles with a leaking rear seal. But, why? Carry a spare seal and the tools to replace it, plus grease/oil to fill the hub.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Lost a vault cap and didn't notice for several 100 miles. Stopped at BP and got a bearing buddy and continued on for 500 more miles

12. Member
    10 years on my vault hubs now, no problem. Going in for a rebulid next week...

13. Member
    Peace of mind is important to me. If it were my boat, I would rebuild the hubs using marine grease, and not the hybrid oil that Vault uses. I had a seal failure on one of my Vault hubs in year two, and rebuilt it with grease. FYI, BCB got away from the Vault hubs in 2020 because of failure rate, and has returned to using the good old grease system on their boats now.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I just noticed oil on my wheel too while cleaning. My vault hubs are 10 years old too.

Im on the fence about replacing w vault or converting to Grease style.

When converting is it as simple as taking the vault off and replacing with new grease hubs?

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I just noticed oil on my wheel too while cleaning. My vault hubs are 10 years old too.

Im on the fence about replacing w vault or converting to Grease style.

When converting is it as simple as taking the vault off and replacing with new grease hubs?
    You don’t need new hubs. Use the old Vault hubs. Check the spindle and sleeve. Replace the seals, bearings, and races if needed. Use a good grease like Red N Tacky. You can even use the old Vault cap as I did. This vid shows how to do it.

srvicing vault hubs
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    As stated above. After a leaking hub, I would make sure the spindle was not affected.

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    You don’t need new hubs. Use the old Vault hubs. Check the spindle and sleeve. Replace the seals, bearings, and races if needed. Use a good grease like Red N Tacky. You can even use the old Vault cap as I did. This vid shows how to do it.

srvicing vault hubs
    Very good video Thanks. Now the choice has to be made... if my bearing are good, do I go back to the Hybrid stuff orr do I replace all the innards regardless and go w Grease? Im with the OP. If a repair has to be made on the rd grease is much easier to get

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Don’t forget a grease “zerk” fitting, or whatever it’s called. It will thread into the end of the axle so grease can be pumped into it.