Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What was the dumbes , Funniest, most memorable time while on the water?

Its time we have another funny in order to liven things up a bit..
    Ill go first ..
    Its was Mid - September on Lake Wedowee my best friend and I were heading to the lake he was pulling his boat I was pulling mine .. We did like we always did and stopped and got a biscuit on the way but this morning it was different .
    I pulled thru drive thru got my Bojangles spicy chicken biscuit and headed down the road ...
    I dipped into my bag and low and behold there were three biscuits and some hashbrowns in there . So I dug in it was a ham egg and chese and it was good , like real good so I had another and then 1/2 of the other and all of the Bo-Taters.
    Man I was stuffed. about 30 minutes into the ride my tummy started rumblin so I called my buddy and told him I had to stop and hit the head..
    He said hell no well be at the lake in 20 min U can use the toilets there at the ramp. so I suffered on..

Little to say it was Sunday morning and it was early and they werent unlocked yet Boy I was hurtin ..
    I backed down the ramp dropped the boat parked the truck and HAULED ASS across the lake to a private spot..
    It was a Island about a mile from the ramp . I parked on a bank grabbed some wipes , tied her off and I humped it up that hill to the top ,it was a hill.... Man I was out of breath finally found me a spot and I let her goooo..
    I was sitting up there all quiet and could hear my phone ringing back down in the boat.. I completed the mission and gracefully walked back down the hill but when I got within sight of my boat it looked as if it were gone..
    I was thinking holy $hit my boat floated off.. I looked everywhere but the boat was gone.. I'm like WTF!!!
    I looked all around then decided to climb back to the top and where I could see everything . As I got on top I could see my buddy way off in the distance standing up in his boat with his phone up to his ear.
    I yelled then I saw him throw his phone in the boat and started motoring over where I was walking back down to the water ..
    He said WTF are you doing over here?
    I said my boat floated off , He said hell no its still tied off but its on the other side of the hill ..I WALKED DOWN THE WRONG SIDE!!!!
    We still laugh about that day. He said I saw the boat then your phone was ringing I was yelling and yelling...

Anyone else?
    Last edited by grayline; 02-06-2024 at 08:08 AM.

2. Member
    Running slat traps in a narrow 14ft flat bottom aluminum boat with the 3 bench seats that were welded/riveted in. We must have shook a snake out of the tree when pulling up a trap as I heard my friend yell as the snake cleared the middle seat and was heading to the back straight to were he was sitting. In a flash my friend jumped up and in a Olympic style gymnast move jumped with his left foot landing on the left gunnel and then his right foot landing on the right gunnel and landed in my lap in the very front of the boat. Somehow, the boat didn't flip over nor did he or I take a forced swim. We played sports together and I didn't know he had that type of skill. I guess it just takes the right motivation. When things calmed down we got the snake safely out of the boat and about flipped the boat over laughing.

3. Member
    Fishing in a narrow creek arm, I came around a sharp bend and lo and behold a rival football coach and his schools cheerleading sponsor were getting busy on the deck of a pontoon boat. I just trolled around them and kept on fishing. He or she never said a word about it to me; but we’re both divorced a year later. We beat them 3 years in a row after that. I’m still smiling about it now, years later,

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Its time we have another funny in order to liven things up a bit..
    Ill go first ..
    Its was Mid - September on Lake Wedowee my best friend and I were heading to the lake he was pulling his boat I was pulling mine .. We did like we always did and stopped and got a biscuit on the way but this morning it was different .
    I pulled thru drive thru got my Bojangles spicy chicken biscuit and headed down the road ...
    I dipped into my bag and low and behold there were three biscuits and some hashbrowns in there . So I dug in it was a hame egg and chese and it was good , like real good so I had another and then 1/2 of the other and all of the Bo-Taters.
    Man I was stuffed. about 30 minutes into the ride my tummy started rumblin so I called my buddy and told him I had to stop and hit the head..
    He said hell no well be at the lake in 20 min U can use the toilets there at the ramp. so I suffered on..

Little to say it was Sunday morning and it was early and they werent unlocked yet Boy I was hurtin ..
    I backed down the ramp dropped the boat parked the truck and HAULED ASS across the lake to a private spot..
    It was a Island about a mile from the ramp . I parked on a bank grabbed some wipes , tied her off and I humped it up that hill to the top ,it was a hill.... Man I was out of breath finally found me a spot and I let her goooo..
    I was sitting up there all quiet and could hear my phone ringing back down in the boat.. I completed the mission and gracefully walked back down the hill but when I got within sight of my boat it looked as if it were gone..
    I was thinking holy $hit my boat floated off.. I looked everywhere but the boat was gone.. I'm like WTF!!!
    I looked all around then decided to climb back to the top and where I could see everything . As I got on top I could see my buddy way off in the distance standing up in his boat with his phone up to his ear.
    I yelled then I saw him throw his phone in the boat and started motoring over where I was walking back down to the water ..
    He said WTF are you doing over here?
    I said my boat floated off , He said hell no its still tied off but its on the other side of the hill ..I WALKED DOWN THE WRONG SIDE!!!!
    We still laugh about that day. He said I saw the boat then your phone was ringing I was yelling and yelling...

Anyone else?
    That’s perfectly understandable to lose one’s sense of direction after a close call like that as delaying the process can cause toxins to back up into the brain.

Glad you got to the island and made it up the hill which is no easy feat when all of your other muscles are tightly clenched.

Glad your boat was still there and your buddy didn’t hide it.
    Last edited by Hoot; 02-06-2024 at 09:14 AM.

My son and I were fishing a night tournament several years ago. We were fishing in the harbor where the weigh in took place. We were running down a bank hoping to add a kicker to our bag when my son set the hook. He said "good one then said well I don't know if it is or not". A few seconds later he boat flipped it and it was a 3 foot long snake!! In one motion he swung it around over his head like a helicopter and it came around and missed my face by about 6 inches. He swung it around again but it wouldn't come off. I told him to quit swinging it because it may come off in the boat. He then slapped it on the water like getting grass off a lipless and it finally came off. We still talk about it every now and then.

Tree fell on a steep bank halfway back in a cove. Buddy and I thought we’d help it into the lake for cover. So we tied a rope to it and the other end to a cleat on the boat. Got it sliding and it went right into the lake. But it kept going and we couldn’t get the rope untied from the cleat. It was pulling the back corner of the boat down. By the time we got something to cut it the boat was about have the corner go under water.

7. Member
    Buddy and myself were tucked back in a hole in the reeds shiner fishing on the BigO, a Bass boat comes along fishing down the boat lane with the trolling motor, a guy and girl. They do not see us back in the reeds just sitting there. The gal is stretched out naked on the back deck in the sun with a cap over her eyes.

8. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thats a great story and I'm glad everything came out okay

I gotta say though, I've never seen a drive thru I could pull my boat through

9. Member
    Forgive me for the length.
    Basschamps is a big trail down here in Texas. Back in March 2009 they held a tourney on Choke Canyon with 209 teams. My buddy had an absolute piece of chit mid nineties Procraft that we were fishing out of. Something was always wrong with it. It's dark and BC is efficiently aiding 200+ boats to get launched on the 4/5 lane boat ramp- I mean smoothly. My buddy being accustomed to his boat being a piece of chit asked me to not slide him off the trailer until the motor is started. I sat there in that one lane halfway in the water for at least ten minutes while a multitude of trucks and boats unloaded and went back up to the parking lot. I could see him moving around back there but had no idea what he was doing. Well, the pos starting battery was dead so he was using jumper cables from the trolling motor batteries to jump off the engine. He finally got it to fire up, I dump him, park the truck and walk back down to the boat. We idle out, turn off the engine and wait for the prayer and national anthem. When that's over, they start calling boat numbers. My buddy fires up the engine to idle while we wait for our mid 100 boat number. As I'm sitting there I look over at him and there is smoke coming from under his console! WTH?!?! He leaps up to the back deck and opens the bilge hatch and it flashes burning off his eyebrows and any exposed hair. He grabs the brand new BassChamps hat off of my head that I received for my $150 entry fee donation that morning and starts beating the flames of the still connected jumper cables. With the fire extinguished, we run to the nearest town and buy a new starting battery, install it and get a late start fishing. There were three Sharelunkers weighed that day- two over 15#s and a 13#+ fish. Choke was on fire with big fish at the time. That afternoon with about 30 minutes left to fish we are sitting on a point with a half dozen or so other boats dragging jigs when he gets a big bite. The fish is pulling drag and this guy is screaming "It's a GIANT!!! GET THE NET" over and over again, getting everyone else's attention. When that huge gaspergoo came up close enough for me to see it, I literally dropped in the floor of the boat laughing harder than I've ever laughed in my life. Damn near peed myself. I was still wearing the charred hat too just to jack with him.
    2014 920/SHO

10. Member
    Screenshot_20240205_222612_Photos.jpg

Pre fishing for a tournament with a club member in April - two people walked out into the water wearing furry dog costumes. They splashed each other, then stripped out of them and frolicked in the water naked for 10 minutes or so. It was about 50 degrees. Two women. It's a big world out there.

11. Member
    So many but one quick one here. At the waterfall on Pickwick we were fishing the river ledge and noticed a girl getting out of a pontoon that was pulled up on the point going in. She proceeded to walk up a little and drop her bottom off and squatted and let it rip. Reminded me of a cow pissing on a flat rock. She looks up as we are getting into view and just smiled and waved to us. Probably very liquored up. Looked neatly shaved too. The guy who was standing on the bow just shook his head and laughed.

12. Member
    Awesome story about the 2009 Bass Champs at Choke. I was on the lake that day too fishing in a different tournament. Caught a 10.6 in the early afternoon.

My starting battery died within sight of the South Shores ramp. We waved down another team fishing in our tournament and my partner jumped into their boat with our fish. We were in such a hurry to transfer our fish I never even thought to get a picture of that 10.6. Could have been worse. My partner got to weigh in on time and was able to drive back down from Calliham with the truck/trailer.

2009 was such an incredible year for Choke especially with that 15+ lake record caught a short time before the Bass Champs tournament.

I can't recall if it was sometime in May in 2009 or 2010 but I might have lost the biggest fish of my life fun fishing with a friend at Choke.
    Last edited by 5-20; 02-06-2024 at 02:26 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    Fishing in a narrow creek arm, I came around a sharp bend and lo and behold a rival football coach and his schools cheerleading sponsor were getting busy on the deck of a pontoon boat. I just trolled around them and kept on fishing. He or she never said a word about it to me; but we’re both divorced a year later. We beat them 3 years in a row after that. I’m still smiling about it now, years later,
    Should have asked him how deep it was back there.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

14. Member
    Years ago I was fishing a regional FLW tournament at Wheeler Lake. This was at the old Decatur boat harbor and boats were lined behind us all across the bridge in line to put in. It was a cold February morning and my partner launched me. About five minutes later I realized there was water coming into the boat and that I forgot to put in the plug. This was before cell phones were popular. I had no way of calling back then. I barely got my boat on plane and ran most of the water out. ThenI started thinking about my options. It was too cold to jump in the river and put the plug in. There was no where to ground the boat without damaging the hull.
    So I decided to pick out a trailer that my boat would fit on and drove it on as soon as he had launched his partners boat.
    Yep just drove it right on a stranger’s trailer. The guy gets out of his truck and ask me what the hell ? I explained it to him and he and everybody who witnessed it started laughing. He let me drain the water out and put in the plug before he launched me. When I came in for the weigh in people were pointing and laughing at me. The partner I had drawn walked off from me as he was too embarrassed to be seen with me.
    Last edited by geodebasser; 02-06-2024 at 06:30 AM.

15. Member
    Not once but twice I’ve had a boat partner go to step out of the boat onto a dock. With one foot on the dock and one on the boat, the boat slowly starting moving away, and instead of jumping quickly to the dock, the guy ever so slowly starting doing the splits, looked over his shoulder with an expression of anguish, and then dropped into the water. Never push off strongly as you make that step. Got to commit, or else!

16. Member
    Have to share this one also. I used to be in a club where there were three or four of us liked to cut up., We were fishing a go away tournament at Mitchell and we all stayed at the Shoney Inn on the interstate. They had a buffet on Friday night that was packed with locals. My friend had that fart putty in a jar. We had been in a convenience store earlier and he walked behind me and started working that fart putty in his pocket. He walked out and everyone stared at me.
    Well he left the fart putty on the table in his room. I picked it up before we went to the buffet.
    Like I said there was a huge crowd around the buffet. I waited until my buddy was at the buffet loading his plate up and walked behind him. I started working that fart puttty in a jar. It sounded like the longest and loudest fart that you ever heard. I then said Hank, what is wrong with you? Of course everyone was staring and this local lady tore into him. She got in Hank’s face and said you are crude and despicable . My revenge was scorched earth and he never brought the little fart jar with him again.. For years after people in the club would kid Hank and tell him that he was crude and despicable.

There are so many incidents. There was the time I drew a partner who stayed out too late. We were in a cove and there was a wedding going on in someone’s back yard. We were trolling by it when my partner started hurling over the side of the boat in front of them. He just kept hurling until he had the dry heaves. I bet the people at that wedding never forgot him.
    Last edited by geodebasser; 02-06-2024 at 06:41 AM.

My Dad and I used to go fishing every fathers day. I just got a BassCat with a 200 ProMax and had it light with tackle since he usually flyfished for bream. We turned up in a lake off the river that looked like glass and I stood on it. After a couple of minutes he started hitting my leg. I said what and he shouted look around. I slowed down and said what and he said look around. I said I don't see anything, He he said theres water water all around and there ain't a F'ing thing on fire. SLOW DOWN.

18. Member
    My first boat, first time in the water...put the plug in, backed it down, and parked the truck. Walked back down to the boat, got in and started to motor off. By chance opened the center storage compartment (Targa V18) and it was completely filled with water! Turned around and went back to the dock and pulled the boat out. I had put the f-ing plug in the wrong hole! These two older gents who were fishing on the bank could not stop laughing which became contagious. We all laughed for a solid five minutes at my mistake. A couple of weeks later, same ramp, same two older gents were there again as I was getting ready to launch and one of them said "Your the guy who stuck it in the wrong hole a couple of weeks ago..." we started laughing like school girls again! Good times...

19. Member
    Slow day, nothing is biting and my buddy winds up and heaves a huge cast that lands 20 feet up on the bank. I turn to him and go "yeah, that's where they are, up on that bank. Good cast"

Another time I pull into a private lake and there is a Amish buggy with a boat trailer hitched to it. Horse is tied up to a tree. I was like well.... how about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Missedone View Post
    Running slat traps in a narrow 14ft flat bottom aluminum boat with the 3 bench seats that were welded/riveted in. We must have shook a snake out of the tree when pulling up a trap as I heard my friend yell as the snake cleared the middle seat and was heading to the back straight to were he was sitting. In a flash my friend jumped up and in a Olympic style gymnast move jumped with his left foot landing on the left gunnel and then his right foot landing on the right gunnel and landed in my lap in the very front of the boat. Somehow, the boat didn't flip over nor did he or I take a forced swim. We played sports together and I didn't know he had that type of skill. I guess it just takes the right motivation. When things calmed down we got the snake safely out of the boat and about flipped the boat over laughing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast