Thread: 200 SHO RPM's

200 SHO RPM's

This is my first Yamaha, it's on a Xpress X 19. Took it out for the first time Saturday for the break in period and after 2 hours, smashed it to see what it would do. It was only hitting 4750-4800 RPM. I'm guessing these are like the Mercury's and have to be put on a computer to make sure it's getting 100% throttle? Any other possibilities I should be looking for? I appreciate any idea's y'all might have
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

2. Member
    RPM limiter should be 6200 I believe. Sounds like you might have way too much prop or the prop way too far in the water. Either need to trim the motor up, raise motor with jack plate, or get lower pitch prop if you are getting wide open throttle.

3. Member
    Only two 2 hours on it? Take it back to the dealer.

4. Member
    Assuming you understand trim and how to, I'd start out assuming the motor is too low in the water.

If you have a jack plate, raise it 1/2" - 1" and see what happens. If it gets better, I bet it will, go a little higher. If it blows out, drop a little. Just keep tweaking until you get what you want. You should be able to get close to 6000 rpm.

This is part of the fun of getting a new high performance boat, getting it set up so it runs the way you want.

What's on the SHO for a propeller?

5. Member
    It's also possible that the throttle linkage is not adjusted properly and not allowing the engine to actually go full throttle.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies fella's. It has a PowerTech or something like that 25p prop on it at the moment (came on it from the factory I assume) I've been told they aren't the best props out there and I plan to get a new prop soon. I don't believe it's to much prop for the motor, I'm thinking the dealer didn't adjust the throttle correctly or at all, as PSM207 commented.

Yes sir, Pinkie, I understand the jack plate and trim as I've had many glass boats with 250-300hp Mercury's. This is my first Yamaha so I don't know much about them at all and thought I'd ask the question here. I did raise the jack plate up some but didn't want to get to crazy with that yet since I've only put two hours on it. I did trim the hell out of it to get the 4800 rpm. it didn't sound like it was trying to make anymore rpm's if that makes sense?

I'll have to find a Yamaha dealer around me to check the hot foot linkage and make sure it's getting 100% throttle. I bought the boat In Oklahoma 14 hrs one way so I won't be going back there for service lol.

I do appreciate the feedback
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

7. Member
    25" is way too much prop unless you think its going to push that boat into the mid 70's

8. Member
    Koma - Hot Foot or Shifter throttle?
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

9. Member
    Koma - It is possible to visually verify the throttle body at the engine for full open position.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

10. Member
    Have Hydro Tech Marine flash it to a 300hp.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    25" is way too much prop unless you think its going to push that boat into the mid 70's

From everything I've seen and read this boat is capable of low 70's? It was hitting 60 pretty quick at 4800 rpm so i'm guessing 70 isn't a stretch...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM207 View Post
    Koma - It is possible to visually verify the throttle body at the engine for full open position.

it has a hot foot. I was looking at everything and noticed the bolt to limit the hot foot pedal wasn't set tight so I'm gonna say that it wasn't checked to make sure it is getting 100% throttle. I have a buddy coming over this weekend and we're gonna check the throttle linkage at the motor and see where it's landing

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koma View Post
    From everything I've seen and read this boat is capable of low 70's? It was hitting 60 pretty quick at 4800 rpm so i'm guessing 70 isn't a stretch...
    If you were hitting 60mph I expect you tach is reading incorrectly.

I have a 2022 X19 with the 175 SHO I bought new. I was only getting around 5000 rpms during the break-in period also. Mine also came with the Powertech 25p prop. Right around the 20 hr mark my boat seemed to "find another gear". Almost like the computer in the engine allowed it to after 20 hrs. My rpms WOT then went to 5500-5600. I have since switched props to an older 25p yamaha pro series prop and got another 100-200 rpms. I could play around with props a little more but low 60s is fine for now. Also, I have an Atlas 10" manual jackplate. Hope this helps.
    WashCo Tournament Series

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    If you were hitting 60mph I expect you tach is reading incorrectly.

I guess that's possible. I have the engine data on my graphs and it was reading the same as the analogue rpm gauge? Something else to look at, thanks for the input

16. Member
    You can definitely check the throttle linkage on the motor visually to make sure the hot foot is opening to 100% on the throttle.

The PT 25 VMX3 (if that is what you have) is very stiff. That is what came on my 250 / X21 and it is pretty equal to a 27 T-1 in stiffness.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

17. Member
    Break the motor in before you change too much, like Copperhead said the motor and ECM is governing rpm's, my new motor started running better at 10 hours and somewhere around 20-30 hours it came to life. They told me not to mess with props or throttle until 30 hours. Be patient and let it get broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by baarw View Post
    Break the motor in before you change too much, like Copperhead said the motor and ECM is governing rpm's, my new motor started running better at 10 hours and somewhere around 20-30 hours it came to life. They told me not to mess with props or throttle until 30 hours. Be patient and let it get broke in.
    There is no rpm break in limiter on that motor. Check throttle linkage.
    Proud Army Dad

19. Member
    If what the other person said about the prop you are using being about 2 pitches stiff I would say you have way too much prop.

20. Member
    Best I can tell I'm getting full throttle at the motor. I played with the Hyd. jack plate height over the weekend and got up to 5050-5100 RPM at 63.4 mph. I'm thinking that y'all are right about to much prop. I've talked to a few guys running these boats and am told the Razor by Croxton is a great prop for this boat. I reached out to Mark and asked his thoughts on what pitch he would recommend based on my numbers, I'm guessing 23p or 24p. I also figured out that you don't want to goose the throttle with the boat in reverse LOL

I appreciate all the feedback and help