Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Any electricians in the lounge? I've got a question about wiring and a new washer

So our 15 year old Kenmore washer finally quit yesterday so we bought a new LG washer with an agitator. After we got it installed yesterday and running we noticed the ceiling light in our laundry room was flickering with the motion of the agitator as it turns back and forth. This was not an issue with our old machine but it was the old type washer. I done a little research and have found that its a common thing and a couple of things that i read several times was

1 Cheap LED lights and that they need to be NON dimmable. Led lights are prone to noise on the wiring coming from the newer style electric driven motors in washers and the current draw makes its flicker

2 The problem is actually outside and that it could be an issue with the drop from the pole to my house and would be the power company's issue and this is making it show up. Several people said its a neutral issue.

Those 2 things I saw often

I wanted to ask in the Lounge to see if anyone has ran across them personally or someone that has seen this on jobsite or know anything about this issue. Appreciate any info. Thanks

*My light and switch is not dimmable. The LED bulb is dimmable if that matters
    Last edited by wvbassmaster; 02-05-2024 at 07:47 AM.

2. Member
    I've had some flickering issue with the LED lights as you describe. Easy to change them out and see if that resolves the problem.

3. Member
    Is that the only light you notice that is flickering?
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post

Yes

5. Member
    I have the same problem with my tankless water heater, I was told to install one of these things at the light fixture and put it back in the ceiling and it would fix it. I don't have a dimmer but they said it didn't matter. I have not done it yet so I can't say for sure, but sounds logical.

Aeotec Bypass for Nano Dimmer, Load Resistor and Dummy Load for dimmer, TRIAC dimmer switches to fix Light Flickering Issue - Amazon.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    Yes
    I would definitely try another bulb from another box. I chased that one time and every bulb in the box did it. New box and issue went away. If it still does it after that, confirm if the washer receptacle and light are on the same circuit. If so, I'd check for a wire at the breaker or even the neutral on that circuit.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

so after going into some other rooms i noticed this in our bedroom on the other end of the house from the laundry room. all of our bulbs have been switched to LED. Not all of them are doing it

8. Member
    Sounds to me like you need to check the voltage at the 115 supply in the wall. Put in a multi plug splitter put the meter leads in one of the unused female recepticles. Use a sweep meter if you have one OR plug a lamp in and watch that bulb. If an incandescent bulb in that lamp flickers when you use the washer, you DO have a bad connection.
    Could be a loose wire.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 02-05-2024 at 01:59 PM.

9. Member
    Verizon contractors laying conduit for Fios cut the neutral in my yard last summer causing similar issues. Most, but not all of the lights would dim/flicker with different loads such as the dish washer, microwave or washing machine. I'd at least try a few fresh bulbs from a fresh box and see what happens. If it is still happening, call your power company. I called on a Sunday and they had a lineman out in less than two hours, issue was confirmed to be a loose neutral on their end in less than a minute and the broken neutral was found and fixed within a couple more hours. Neutral was actually cut in two different locations.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

After you check everything else it could be the washer if it has a variable speed motor. Variable frequency drives that control motors create harmonics that "should" be filtered. If not properly filtered it can affect many things. If there is a TV nearby you may see noise on the screen.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

11. Member
    Let not forget about the ground. Verify you have a good connection to the ground rod and water pipe ground. This is assuming that your on a 3 wire system and not a two wire.
    Eric Beaty
    2013 BassCat Cougar FTD
    2013 Mercury 250 ProXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    so after going into some other rooms i noticed this in our bedroom on the other end of the house from the laundry room. all of our bulbs have been switched to LED. Not all of them are doing it
    If your breakers are labeled, need to see if all the ones that are blinking come off the same side of the breaker panel. If so, the main power cable to that side is loose. If the blinking lights come off both sides, than probably a loose neutral.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

13. Banned
    Turn the light off while your using the washer.

14. Member
    Could be a loose wire in the washer receptacle or at the breaker panel for that circuit.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

15. Member
    It is going to be a process of elimination. I would start with the power company and make sure you have a good source before you start your elimination process.

If your breakers are labeled, need to see if all the ones that are blinking come off the same side of the breaker panel. If so, the main power cable to that side is loose. If the blinking lights come off both sides, than probably a loose neutral.
    All of the breakers on one side of the panel are not fed from the same main conductor. Breakers 1 & 2 (top row) are on the same main conductor. Breakers 3 & 4 (next row down) are fed from the other main conductor. They stagger this way down the rest of the breakers.

17. Member
    I had the same problem with cheap led light bulbs. Buy a higher quality bulb and your problem should go away.

18. Member
    Got one that's also on the 'huh?' list. The Hunter ceiling fan in the grandkids toy room. Granted it's 20yrs old. I changed the bulbs to LED several years ago. Turn the light on and it's like a strobe light. All of them blinking together. I thought too, a bad bulb, but no. What stopped it? I put one incandescent bulb in. Now I have 3 LED and one incandescent, and no blink. Go figure.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecktech View Post
    Got one that's also on the 'huh?' list. The Hunter ceiling fan in the grandkids toy room. Granted it's 20yrs old. I changed the bulbs to LED several years ago. Turn the light on and it's like a strobe light. All of them blinking together. I thought too, a bad bulb, but no. What stopped it? I put one incandescent bulb in. Now I have 3 LED and one incandescent, and no blink. Go figure.
    One of my boys had a very similar problem. He finally just put regular incandescent bulbs back in. Tan had a remote so could have been something to do with that.

i checked my panel last night. All the lights that are blinking are on the same side. Our home was built in 2002. I checked each label and I only show one source feeding the utility room other than the dryer and hot water tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast