Problem spraying gelcoat?

So I tried to did some minor gelcoat repairs today. I’ve watched a thousand videos on these repairs with guys using those little Preval sprayers. Well had everything set up today, mixed everything up correctly, and damn it. I could not get the gel coat to come out of the sprayer. I had two of them and it wouldn’t come out of either.

I added Styrene to thin and had my measurements perfect. I even added a little extra thinner once I started having issues.

Any ideas? Could the gelcoat just been too cold?? It was thick, but I have no idea what gelcoat normally looks like. Frustrated to say the least.

2. Member
    gelcoat is a thick product. The only way a preval will spray it is to thin the hell out of it. You're not supposed to thin gel more than 10% with styrene in the first place. 99% of those guys on YT are hacks. Gel needs to be done above 60 degrees and needs to stay at or above that temp for 48 hours to cure right.

3. Member
    Did you take the strainer off of the bottom of the pick up tube?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O. View Post
    Did you take the strainer off of the bottom of the pick up tube?
    I did not. I should have.

5. Member
    Yeah, take the little strainer on the end of the tube off and do a trial run on a piece of cardboard. Do the thinning like you did before. I have used it to fix a lot of small nicks in my gel. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

6. Member
    Straight gel requires a Bink 2001 or a 2100 with a 68bp tip. If you want to spray gel like paint get some Dura Tech Additive.You can look it up on youtube, it sprays like paint. Styrene is a bit nasty, that's the shit that kills ya.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR