Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can BFS replace ML spinning?

I have a Megabass Whipsnake that I use for my light stuff. I am thinking about getting a Megabass P5 Popx stick or Aello and a BFS reel. Would I be able to get rid of the ML spinning setup altogether and replace it with a BFS setup? Specifically, can you get long enough casts out of a BFS set up on things like small swim baits, poppers, finesse jerks etc?

My BFS setup will cast farther than my spinning setups will.

Don’t think that a BFS setup will totally replace a ML spinning setup. A wacky setup is the first that comes to mind.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

3. Member
    IMO spinning reels have these advantages that baitcasters fall short:
    Speed to drop baits when fishing vertically
    smoothness of the drag
    ability to have the fall near vertically on a cast (baitcasters pendulum the bait back towards the angler)

with the techniques/baits you listed, BFS would be fine. For other finesse stuff or when fishing for smallmouth in areas that they run and dig, spinning reels are still supreme as even a $60 spinning reel has a smoother drag than a $250 baitcaster.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    BFS will not completely replace ML spinning but it has for me when fun fishing. I even use it when crappie fishing. Love casting a ned head with 3 inch senkos catching 4 pound plus smallmouth on BFS.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    IMO spinning reels have these advantages that baitcasters fall short:
    Speed to drop baits when fishing vertically
    smoothness of the drag
    ability to have the fall near vertically on a cast (baitcasters pendulum the bait back towards the angler)

with the techniques/baits you listed, BFS would be fine. For other finesse stuff or when fishing for smallmouth in areas that they run and dig, spinning reels are still supreme as even a $60 spinning reel has a smoother drag than a $250 baitcaster.
    I don't know where this comes from, the way your bait falls has to do with the lure, how much slack is in your line and how high you hold the rod tip. The reel makes no difference at all.

6. Member
    100% yes it can replace ml spinning for me, but keep in mind that BFS was developed for short to medium range presentations and not intended for bomb casting. Most BFS reels are rated to hold 40 to 50 meters of threadline, long enough will be different for each person.

Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    My BFS setup will cast farther than my spinning setups will.

Don’t think that a BFS setup will totally replace a ML spinning setup. A wacky setup is the first that comes to mind.
    Ironically, one of my BFS setups is dedicated to light wacky rigging and performs fantastically. What’s your thought process behind wacky rigging being best on spinning gear?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I don't know where this comes from, the way your bait falls has to do with the lure, how much slack is in your line and how high you hold the rod tip. The reel makes no difference at all.
    Completely agree, with the light lines and low inertia spools and bearings of todays bfs reels the resistance is not enough to cause a significant pendulum effect. I prefer having control over the slack by pulling off line or raising and lowering your rod at the end of the cast to provide some slack. I also don't understand why you would want complete slack resulting in lost connection to the lure and less sensitivity when a lot of bites comes on the initial fall of a lure.
    Last edited by Bassjam2000; 02-04-2024 at 02:05 PM.

Absolutely not
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

8. Member
    Close...but no cigar. Light balsa minnowbaits and smaller inline spinners as well as crappie jigs will confirm that spinning will still have its advantages. Perhaps it'll be more apparent in the UL-L power ratings, but still I prefer a ML spinning for lighter balsa baits versus my BFS.

9. Member
    BFS is an interesting take on fishing lighter baits, etc. but it does not replace spinning tackle. It is still much easier to throw certain baits on a spinning outfit, and you will have less problems with break-offs with light line due to the fact that guides on the bottom of the rod distribute the stress better than guides on top. And yes, it is easier to let off more line and allow a bait to drop straight down than it is with a casting outfit. The pros have access to all of the best and greatest tackle, but there are virtually no pros using BFS in place of spinning tackle - this tells me that they don't regard it as an equal substitute.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    and you will have less problems with break-offs with light line due to the fact that guides on the bottom of the rod distribute the stress better than guides on top.
    What evidence do you have to support that claim?

11. Member
    Bass BFS is a fun replacement for horizontal moving baits - small cranks, jerks, those cute little spinner/chatter/buzzbaits, pitching finesse jigs short distances etc. 7-10lb fluoro/leader stuff.

Vertical techniques like damiki/tightlining/hovering - spinning will always get the nod. True finesse with 4-6lb line/leader? 100% mid-high tier spinning reel for that smoother drag.

12. Member
    As a tournament fisherman, I say anyone thinking there is no advantage to spinning can continue thinking that way with no argument from me. We all decide for ourselves what gives us advantages and make use of what we believe in. I know personally, I’ve done fine with spinning. If anything, I hate seeing it getting more popular.

As far as casting distance (though that isn’t the reason for us using spinning), I know I can cast 85 yards on my spinning gear. The farthest I can cast on ANY baitcasting setup is 65 yards. Even with that occasional great baitcasting cast, I don’t think I’ve ever touched 85 yards on baitcasting. As much as I like spinning (it has its place), I still throw baitcasting 90% of the time… so it’s not a bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    Ironically, one of my BFS setups is dedicated to light wacky rigging and performs fantastically. What’s your thought process behind wacky rigging being best on spinning gear?.
    I prefer a light spinning setup over my BFS setup simply because I can skip much more effectively. That’s the primary way that I fish a wacky rig.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    As a tournament fisherman, I say anyone thinking there is no advantage to spinning can continue thinking that way with no argument from me. We all decide for ourselves what gives us advantages and make use of what we believe in. I know personally, I’ve done fine with spinning. If anything, I hate seeing it getting more popular.

As far as casting distance (though that isn’t the reason for us using spinning), I know I can cast 85 yards on my spinning gear. The farthest I can cast on ANY baitcasting setup is 65 yards. Even with that occasional great baitcasting cast, I don’t think I’ve ever touched 85 yards on baitcasting. As much as I like spinning (it has its place), I still throw baitcasting 90% of the time… so it’s not a bias.
    Excellent synopsis...

FWIW, I can consistently cast a Zoom Super Fluke
    45-50+ yards on my 2013 Certate 2510R-PE/Shimano Hard Rocker BB 8'3" MHF with 16lb YGK SS112 + 15lb Tatsu leader. I rig it the way Mike Iaconelli recommended.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    What evidence do you have to support that claim?
    FWIW, a properly built and spaced spiral-wrapped/acid wrapped BC will absolutely handle torque on the blank better. This is even more true the lighter the power of the blank...I fished essentially custom rods for a decade straight and I can atttest that my custom acid wrapped GLoomis CBR 845 outperformed the factory build easily, and that under load all of my custom spiral wrapped BCs resist blank torque much better than factory rods even with higher power/lure/line ratings. When a fish runs hard on light line, the guides on bottom releases with a bit less tension than line being pulled through guides sitting on top of the blank...this becomes even more evident when the blank is really loaded up and the line touches or crosses the blank with guides on top...at this point, there is additional tension on the line versus if it is pulled cleanly and smoothly from the bottom.

Think of it this way, when you complete a Judo or wrestling over the shoulder/hip throw, is it easier to grab from the bottom/front of shirt and throw or grab the shirt over the back and try the same throw?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post

What is your spinning setup, I struggle with spinning gear.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr14 View Post
    I'm not speaking for JJohnSind, however the answer to your question comes down to the applied techs and type line, etc.

Another vital aspect of using a threadline and getting proper line management, is how the line is spooled on, and what type line/diameter line fo the intended usages. Also, not all spinning reels handle line twist the same, nor do different spinning reels lay line the same on the spool. Lastly, you will want to pair to a rod that will balance and work well with the diameter size of the spool.

Just saying, there are going to be lots of variables and not just one single answer for everything.

18. Member
    BFS is another tool in your toolbox. I have been enjoying it for the past couple of years. It has not replaced any of my spinning tackle, or any baitcasting tackle, for that matter. It has augmented my rod and reel selection and provided more options.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mybigfish812 View Post
    BFS is another tool in your toolbox. I have been enjoying it for the past couple of years. It has not replaced any of my spinning tackle, or any baitcasting tackle, for that matter. It has augmented my rod and reel selection and provided more options.
    This is a perfect summary. BFS isn’t, and shouldn’t be, a direct replacement for a spinning reel. Rather an addition to the finesse system. Ive used a medium casting rod that behaves much more like a soft ML, and it’s a blast.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr14 View Post

I’ve got quite the selection of spinning gear now. There’s lots of variables and lots of setups, but I can help you get on the right track. Line choice and how you spool it is how most people mess up. Feel free to DM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast