Ice fishermen and others

What's the thinnest ice you've ever drilled through and fished? Not trying to get someone killed.

Back in 1987 I worked for my uncle in Illinois,he and his BIL co-owned a business.The BIL loved to fish,and I got to go out on the ice quite a few times.One time we went,when the holes were drilled,the ice was only 3" thick.BIL said that was plenty,and we fished,but I was very nervous sitting in that homemade 3-man shanty on 4x4 skids.I just knew we were going to be recovered by divers.

2. Member
    1.5 inches

3. Bob G's pool boy
    3" of good ice is plenty. 10" of bad ice isn't enough. The picture in this link is pretty much the standard.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/beari...E821.v5-web018

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

4. Member
    Varied in spots from 2-2.5”. I prefer 4” under my feet, a spud is your best friend for thin ice
    Last edited by ECobb91; 02-02-2024 at 05:27 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

We used to fish 2" of ice every year when I was young.

Worse ice was on was pond, that had about 4 1/2" of bad ice. I took my boot toe, and managed to dig thru the ice, water was coming up thru the holes from the ice being pushed down from our weight. Wasn't deep enough to care if we went thru, but went to a different pond that had better ice.

On new clear ice, 2" was enough to get us fishing in shallow areas.

I fell thru once stepping off a dock, was a cold ass day and the truck was stuck. Wasn't any fun. I also did something really stupid over 30' of water. Had holes drilled, at the times using a 8" auger. Stepped back and stuck my foot thru a hole, doing a odd splits on the ice. It was 4" thick, melting, and we were over deep water. I wasn't really wanting my buddy to help me, but my boot swelled up and I couldn't get my foot out of the damn hole. He laid down on the ice on the other side, got ahold of my boot, and was able to get my foot out. It was about 40 degrees, so I went up and put my boot liner on the truck heater for awhile and then went down and fished. As I remember we caught some really nice gills that day.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    3" of good ice is plenty. 10" of bad ice isn't enough. The picture in this link is pretty much the standard.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/beari...E821.v5-web018
    This. It's not about how much, it's about quality. Three inches of good clear ice is plenty to make me feel safe. I have a floating suit, so I've definitely pushed it in the past and gotten lucky, but I doubt I've ever fished on less than two inches. I've definitely walked on less, but determined it wasn't safe to fish.

7. Member
    When I was young and dumb it was 2 inches.

8. Member
    Been quite a while since I iced fished. I loved it. I've fell through the ice plenty. The most unpleasant was one day it was melting. As I got closer to the shore I could see it was melted away from the shore a good ways. I walked a good ways looking for the narrowest slice of open water. when I found my spot I walked up to the edge as close as I dared and stopped. I had a sled and plenty of equipment. I gathered it all up under my arms and stepped forward . That next step the ice caved and I was thigh deep in water. I had to lift my legs very high for each successive step only to have it cave again as I made my way to the shore. Needless to say when I made it to the truck I sat there for a while warming up. LOL.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    My boss from Minnesota used to talk about ice fishing all the time. At a sales meeting someone asked if if he had ever been kicked in the ice hole?

10. Member
    There’s a difference between clear ice and white ice. Clear ice I like 3” minimum, white ice I like 5”.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

11. Member
    Early ice everybody spuds there way out…One wack of a good sharp ice chisel… if it goes through its about 2 1/2 or less,if it doesn’t it’s 3” or better.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    There’s a difference between clear ice and white ice. Clear ice I like 3” minimum, white ice I like 5”.
    Walked all the way across the lake first week of January on white ice last year carrying a 10' pole in case I found a thin spot. It was barely 3". And never got a bleeping flag all morning!
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

13. Member
    I've done 2.5. It was and is stupid to go out on that amount. 3 is marginal. 4 is safe. We're talking fresh clear ice here. Allways carry ice picks and a chisel when on the ice.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Walked all the way across the lake first week of January on white ice last year carrying a 10' pole in case I found a thin spot. It was barely 3". And never got a bleeping flag all morning!
    My heart would have been racing, it’s sucked for us the last couple years with only a week of “safe” ice.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

15. Member
    Zero ice around here in the Pocono Region.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    My heart would have been racing, it’s sucked for us the last couple years with only a week of “safe” ice.
    I was at camp last week and noticed the guy who lives at the other end of the lake had made a loop around the lake on his big SxS. I also saw where he drilled a test hole the day before to check thickness and I drilled a fishing hole close to it. It looked like 8"-9" to me. Talked to him the next day and he'd been telling everyone there's a foot of ice. True fisherman right there! Measure and add 50%. The interesting thing was I chiseled a 12"x18" hole next to his tracks in front of camp to get water and it was really easy since there was only about 4" there. He's lucky he didn't go through. We've had several warm rainstorms that opened up areas and made thin spots
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I was at camp last week and noticed the guy who lives at the other end of the lake had made a loop around the lake on his big SxS. I also saw where he drilled a test hole the day before to check thickness and I drilled a fishing hole close to it. It looked like 8"-9" to me. Talked to him the next day and he'd been telling everyone there's a foot of ice. True fisherman right there! Measure and add 50%. The interesting thing was I chiseled a 12"x18" hole next to his tracks in front of camp to get water and it was really easy since there was only about 4" there. He's lucky he didn't go through. We've had several warm rainstorms that opened up areas and made thin spots
    No doubt, that’s a huge risk I had an acquaintance that was plowing a lake with his truck for snowmobile races and went through. Luckily his window was down and he’s able to exit before it went completely under.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

18. Member
    I've fished on 2" of good ice quite a few times. I knew the water and area though. Big difference between good, new ice and crappy ice. I've got a spud I've used for years and know what it means when I hit the ice.

19. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Done the 2 inch ice thing many times. But never without a SPUD bar in my hand testing as I walked forward.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia