Thread: Back Block

Back Block

If you’ve had one, did it help, how long until you felt some relief. First one next Tuesday, he says he’s doing 2. The pain is strictly from arthritis according to him (doctor). Pain has stopped my fishing, a lot of otc and tramadol. Fingers crossed that this will give me some relief. How much pain the day after? Lightly sedated for the procedure.

2. Banned
    didnt work for me, but nothing did. they just keep feeding me pills at this point

3. Member
    Had 2 lumbar injections last year. L2-3. Took about a day till it felt better. But just a temporary fix. Mine lasted all summer. Came back with a vengeance. Had a fusion in November. No pain at all now. But still residual muscle issue from injection

4. Member
    Hope it works for you

Good luck to you. I’ve been fighting back issues for 6 years now. I had L5-S1 surgery Oct 26th. I’m still having debilitating inflammation. I’m having SI joint injections the 9th and the 23rd of this month. I’ve had so many epidurals I’ve lost count and never had any relief. Doc said if these work there’s a surgical procedure that will fix this problem for good. I pray to God this will work. The worst thing about the injections is the thought of them. I’ve had them in my neck with no sedation and in my back with it. Not much difference except having someone to drive you.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    I had the back block shot years ago and it didn't help but my back has changed now and I have a MRI set up for Monday morning and another back block shot this Thursday in Gainesville. Also, while on the subject the doctor doing the shot said he would do 2 shots and if necessary the next step would be to cauterize (burn) the nerve that is causing the discomfort. May I ask has any of you had that done and if so what was the results? I recently went through physical therapy for 2 sessions for weeks to no avail. Mine is low back, right side only. Thanks guys and good luck to you with the shot!

7. Member
    I had surgery on L2-3 L4-5 and L5-S1 in Feb of 2021 to clean out the bone spurs/arthritis and some disk bulges. Last November it all came back and I'm going in the 8th for my first of two branch blocks on those 3 levels. The goal is to get them done and after that do ablations on those three levels. I have heard the ablations only last 3-6 months for most but figure that'll get me thru the fishing season. Good luck, hope it works for all of us
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

8. Member
    I've had 3 ablation with the last one done while under ketamine so he could get deeper and had no results. I'm stuck in no mans land.

9. Member
    Have had a number of these over the past 20 years. Depending on who does it the first one can last 6 to 12 months and each one after that lasts a shorter time period. But it's great when it works. First time I had it done it was a series of 3 injections spaced out over a 6 week period.

10. Member
    There’s this saying, I feel your pain. Hope we all get relief.

Not sure what you mean by a back block. If you’re referring to lumbar epidural steroid injections then they might give you some relief. Just about everyone develops some degree of arthritis in their back as they age, and steroid injections can help reduce inflammation which I turn reduce pain. I’ve always had a series of 3 spaced 2 weeks apart. They worked on my neck after one series. I’ve had probably 18-20 injections in my lower back in 8 years. I’d estimate they gave noticeable relief just over 50% of the time. There are just too many variables involved like how the patient cares for their back after the injections. I’d consider physical therapy if it’s been diagnosed as simply arthritis.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"