Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The bucket trap is the best. Coat the spinner with some peanut butter and that bucket will be full in no time!
    Darrall Dougherty

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Go to tractor supply and get some bait and bait boxes. Also get a couple that are called Tin Cats. Something we deal with every day
    Just watched a video on the tin cats, looks like that might work for catching numbers, thanks. Is there a specific bait or bait box brand? I've tried blocks of dcon sat out over a few weeks and they ate it, but apparently it was just an appetizer.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darrall View Post
    The bucket trap is the best. Coat the spinner with some peanut butter and that bucket will be full in no time!
    I did the bucket trap with a huge ball of peanut butter spread around the roller but no dice. Didn't look like any had been up my ramps either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slig View Post
    Just watched a video on the tin cats, looks like that might work for catching numbers, thanks. Is there a specific bait or bait box brand? I've tried blocks of dcon sat out over a few weeks and they ate it, but apparently it was just an appetizer.
    I'll take some photos of the bucket tomorrow. Also get some Rampage place packs and throw around they work pretty quick
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

5. Member
    Amazon
    RinneTraps - Flip N Slide Bucket Lid Mouse Trap |Humane or Lethal| |Trap Door Style| |Multi Catch |Auto Reset| |Indoor Outdoor| |No See Kill| |5 Gallon Bucket Compatible| Made in USA (1)

I put 8" of antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket for cold environments like an attic space.
    Last edited by Savage; 02-01-2024 at 04:59 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slig View Post
    I did the bucket trap with a huge ball of peanut butter spread around the roller but no dice. Didn't look like any had been up my ramps either.
    Do you have any birdseed? Some sunflower meaties pressed into the PB sweetens the pot pretty good. Like to put a couple of dabs of PB on the ramp itself and also sprinkle a few seeds at the base of the ramp. Is it possible you got them all already?
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

7. Member
    Cats have worked for me. I tried the poison in the attic in the early years until one died in the laundry room wall. Had a cat ever since and no more mice. Currently have 3 cats, they're all outside cats and sleep on the back porch.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    Get a cat. People by me who live close to rivers/streams get them from shelters. Cats live outside or in around sheds and take care of all the critters.
    I’d rather have mice than a cat. Lol

9. Member
    Cheese will work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    What are you baiting the traps with? Cheese? Try something different like peanut butter. Setup a game camera or something to watch and see.

10. Member
    I always went old school with the snap traps and some spray cheese in a can. Seemed to work well when I needed to eliminate a few.

11. Member
    Bucket trap with 1 gallon of antifreeze instead of water . Doesn't freeze and embalms them instantly . Been using it for years in the camper and barn .

12. Member
    I don't consider myself an expert, but I've killed over 500 mice and rats over the last 8 years. We live next to huge open grazing fields. Over the past 2 years, they've eaten through 4 car wiring harnesses. Actually came face-to-face with a huge rat 3 days ago when I opened the hood. Here are my observations.

Victor traps work best. The yellow bait pads are okay, but the all metal ones work best. I cut an old credit card to extend the bait pad, which creates more leverage to spring the trap. You can also glue a 9mm brass case to the bait pad and stuff it with Skippy (not Jif). When mice push down on the case to get more PB, whammo. Use a utility knife to score and roughen the credit card which holds PB better.

If you use traps outside your house, I place a cardboard box with access holes in it over the traps. I put a brick on the box. This keeps birds and dogs away from the trap. Old Amazon boxes or Costco fruit boxes work well.

I also glue the trap to a piece of cardboard or old manila folder. This prevents wounded mice from running away with your trap. They can't get traction when they are on the cardboard. The cardboard also keeps blood off your concrete.

Place traps against a wall which is how mice typically travel.

I've used Tomcat poison blocks and they disappear. Haven't found any dead mice yet. I did find a block under the hood of my car. Apparently, a mouse brought it to the engine compartment and was saving it for a snack.

I've been told that if you see or kill one mouse, there are dozens that you don't see. Good luck with yours.

13. Member
    Mice and rats cannot burp. Mix 50/50 baking soda to corn muffin mix. They’ll die and won’t poison any outdoor birds etc.

14. Member
    You need an assassin. Get a couple kittens. Thats what we did when we moved into an old farm house. Those lil guys didn't fuk around. No mice, no moles, no spiders, no nothing.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter64 View Post
    Bucket trap with 1 gallon of antifreeze instead of water . Doesn't freeze and embalms them instantly . Been using it for years in the camper and barn .
    I have been using used engine oil, works similar.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmy-rt188p View Post
    Victor traps work best. The yellow bait pads are okay, but the all metal ones work best. I cut an old credit card to extend the bait pad, which creates more leverage to spring the trap. You can also glue a 9mm brass case to the bait pad and stuff it with Skippy (not Jif). When mice push down on the case to get more PB, whammo. Use a utility knife to score and roughen the credit card which holds PB better.

If you use traps outside your house, I place a cardboard box with access holes in it over the traps. I put a brick on the box. This keeps birds and dogs away from the trap. Old Amazon boxes or Costco fruit boxes work well.

I also glue the trap to a piece of cardboard or old manila folder. This prevents wounded mice from running away with your trap. They can't get traction when they are on the cardboard. The cardboard also keeps blood off your concrete.
    Some good tips there. I've never thought to glue the trap down. I attach it to a drag (large bolt or something) like you would with a leghold. You can lose quite a few traps otherwise. Sometimes the other mice will drag it off and cannibalize. I prefer the metal bait pans too. Never used a spent case but I wedge a sunflower seed into the pan for the same effect.

I'm a believer in the power of bucket traps. Here's one night's haul at the cabin we used for a moose hunt last fall. I'd been there before and knew there was a mouse problem. I brought my own bucket and caught over 30 for the week.
    PXL_20230927_210009071.jpg
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

17. Member
    I have a weasel that hangs around my shop. Other than scaring the hell out of you, when he pops up beside you he is a mice machine!!! I always have a spare pair of underoos in the shop.

18. Member
    go to a farm store and buy a chick waterer. If you can buy it in your state buy Tom Cat Liquid mouse bait. Order online if you can't get it. Mice drink it, then go outside looking for water and die. Even IF the die inside, they dry up and don't stink.

19. Member
    I also dislike cats very much, but I would not hesitate to get one if I had critter issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    I’d rather have mice than a cat. Lol

20. Member
    I got 2 kittens. Have not seen an alive mouse since, and I live in the forest.

I can not stand cats in the house, my 2 are outdoors and I took a large cooler put a hole in the side with a livestock heating pad and set it up under the porch. If its cold outside they are either on the porch or in their house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast