Question 1993 Champion 190 w/ Mercury 200 xri 2 stroke

I have a 1993 Champion 190 with the Mercury xri 200 2 stroke outboard. I have been working on restoring this 31 year old ride! My next step of the project is to loose the stock 200 xri and put on a 200 Pro XS. I am concerned about a few things while doing so. The pro xs is 100 lbs heavier than my outboard. Also I will be adding a th marine atlas jackplate and I have not decided on a setback yet. Thinking 6” or 8”. My transom seems to be virtually brand new as it is not at all waterlogged and is still solid as a rock. I wonder with 100lbs more sitting on the transom and a setback how that will affect where the transom sits in the water.

Overall I am looking for more speed out of this boat. I have always struggled with getting this boat to run “fast”. At the moment with a full fuel tank and 2 people with gear I barely see 53-54 mph out of the boat. Completely empty I have never ran it over 56 mph. I have heard countless threads where the same rig gets 62-65 mph. I am hoping that a new outboard, jackplate, and prop will improve my performance to reach the 65 mph mark.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    The 100lbs will definitely drop the rear, could go with lithium’s to help lighten the load a bit. You could throw a few sand bags on the back and it’ll be similar in drop.

3. Member
    I had a '94 190 SC with a 200 xri and 6" manual plate. It ran a Yamaha 25M worked by Mazco. It has a 52" 24v Minn Kota Maxxum and a single 7" graph at the bow. My brother still has this boat. It still runs better than 65 mph gps. I now have a '95 202 with a 225x. I agree with the previous post. An extra 100# will cause the boat to set lower in the water at the stern. My question is: What is on your bow? If you have a heavy spot lock TM and a couple of heavy graphs, it will completely change the performance of the boat. The Champs were not designed to perform with all that extra weight on the bow. I learned this when I replaced the Maxxum on my 202 with a Garmin Force. This added 30# to the bow. I lost 300 rpms at WOT and 3-4 mph. I had to drop down from a 25 to 23 Tempest to regain some of the lost performance. The 200 xri should run about 6000 rpm at WOT. If, not, you might not be propped correctly or the motor is not performing. If you do have a spot lock TM and multiple graphs at the bow, it is possible that the extra 100# on the stern might help to balanced out the boat. Best wishes!

Get a 200 Yamaha SHO and flash it to 330HP. You’ll butt hurt a lot of folks as you wave passing them.

5. Member
    Check out the previous 190 thread for additional info

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1248629

6. Member
    Recently changed the setup on the bow from lowrance ghost and single hds 12 unit to ghost and hds 12 and garmin 12 with livescope. Also removed the spare fuel tank from under the seats and 7 gallons of fuel. Also deleted oil injection and removed oil reservoir. No improvement in performance. Assuming my tachometer is accurate I run 6200 rms at 53-55 mph WOT. As of the last test I maybe had 30# of equipment in te bow other than the electronics and could not get over 54. The prop is not great but I can’t imagine that a prop would change my top speed by 10mph. I’m hoping the new mercury and a jackplate will be my best bet at higher top speed. Does anyone recommend either 6” or 8” setback for this boat with a pro xs?