Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Cranksta View Post
    Took a chance and ordered the new, made in the USA, JM Platinum spinning combo. Im pretty sure its going back. The amount the threads that stick past the reel when its fully tightened is crazy and uncomfortable. 1in of threads are exposed.

Attachment 542209
    I never understood why companies make spinning rods with the “handle” below the reel foot and the locking nut on top. Let’s put the most uncomfortable part of the rod right where you will put your hand I prefer a spinning rod like the Tatula. I refuse to buy a spinning tod that doesn’t have the handle above the reel seat

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I never understood why companies make spinning rods with the “handle” below the reel foot and the locking nut on top. Let’s put the most uncomfortable part of the rod right where you will put your hand I prefer a spinning rod like the Tatula. I refuse to buy a spinning tod that doesn’t have the handle above the reel seat
    coat savings… I hate having the locking nut up front like in those rods..

Uplocking reel seats like how you’re describing on the Tatula often times loosens up during the day. Especially on a handle like the standard spinning reel seats. The Daiwa Tatula uses a VSS reel seat installed for unlocking and while it’s comfortable it also limits the amount of contact your fingers have with the blank.

the current fad is to have a longer handle up front, but imo that’s all it is, a fad. Unless you’re holding the rod completely above the reel stem, all that excess grip material is wasted space. How hold the handle, that would leave like 2-3” of excess grip which id prefer not to have.

I personally use the VSS style on nearly all of my own spinning builds and have the handle below the reel seat but I use a hood like a KDPS (same setup as a St Croix Avid X), or an SK2 hood which is only 2.5” on length. It looks similar to a Zodias. It’s an extremely comfortable handle, that promotes more direct contact with the blank and they’ve never loosened up on me.

everyone has their preference. But I think most can agree the handle design on the Platinums suck
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-12-2024 at 04:46 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    In order for different size reels to be used the factories leave a longer seat so 40 and 50 size spinning reels can be used. They have a much longer foot than 20 and 30 size reels.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I never understood why companies make spinning rods with the “handle” below the reel foot and the locking nut on top. Let’s put the most uncomfortable part of the rod right where you will put your hand I prefer a spinning rod like the Tatula. I refuse to buy a spinning rod that doesn’t have the handle above the reel seat
    Its pretty much "to each their own". I have the opposite view. I feel I hold the power on the spinning rod in my last three fingers, two being below the reel stem. That's where I want my handle to be comfortable (not on a nut). When you're casting, your index finger isn't even in the equation. When working bottom contact baits, I want the fore grip area to be short, so that my index finger and thumb can rest on the actual rod blank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12