Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Congrats on getting a boat, very exciting!

Since no one has mentioned it, factor in your costs tow vehicle (do you have enough to tow), insurance, gas , storage, maintenance, ect. These will add up. Also, you will quickly find that you need more rods, reels, lures….go luck with that!

Lastly, welcome to BBC. Some very knowledgeable people on here about everything, so ask your questions. Post a pic when you pick her up.

2. Member
    Don't let the naysayers scare you off. It'll be fine just be sensible in the capabilities of the boat and your operational skills. The most important thing is getting out and having fun.
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150

3. Member
    That would be a great starter boat, better than what I started out with, just use common sense when the conditions get ruff and enjoy time on the water with your family. Post some pictures when you get her.

4. Member
    That G3 will be a good boat for family fishing. They build a solid and safe boat.
    It will even handle getting you out of rough waters if a storm happens to pop up.
    Get it and enjoy fishing with your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    The guy lives next to both lakes, I didn’t just randomly pick them out of the entire state, duh. First time boat owner in a 17’ aluminum boat, on the #1 rated “most dangerous lake in Texas”, what could possibly go wrong.

It’s good to see you out of staters, know the lakes better than the people that live here.

If he keeps it in the backwater areas, he should be fine. Get out with the wakeboats and it’s a goner. Just giving the guy a warning, not everyone is as smart as Ol’ Musky.
    I guess I trusted the Tomcat1500 enough to figure out how to safely operate on the lakes he wished to use the boat. My mistake, sorry.

We can all say a prayer that he stays in the backwaters or that a wakeboat doesn’t come along and kill him.

6. Member
    That boat, assuming in good condition, will suit you well.

Just use some judgement as to when and where you go.

In the 1970's, I lived about 30 miles below Toledo Bend. I had a 14' flat bottom with a 7.5 Johnson. Mostly fished the Sabine below the dam, but went out on the big water occasionally. Not recommended, but I'm still kicking.

Learn to drive your boat.

7. Member
    Whatever you do don't get one that is underpowered, always get the max hp motor that the boat is rated for. That is the best advice I ever got when I was boat shopping for the first time.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I guess I trusted the Tomcat1500 enough to figure out how to safely operate on the lakes he wished to use the boat. My mistake, sorry.

We can all say a prayer that he stays in the backwaters or that a wakeboat doesn’t come along and kill him.

Well, you are the self proclaimed expert at everything. One might think you’re a female, since all you want to do is argue.

The boat seems like it would be a good starter and should fit your needs. You don't say if the motor is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke but do ensure you do a compression check on it and if it is a 2 stroke, ensure you do your due diligence on the state of the fuel injectors and the fuel injection system. These are one of the weaker links in a two stroke and I would hate to see you get a motor with an impending issue.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    Congrats on getting a boat, very exciting!

Since no one has mentioned it, factor in your costs tow vehicle (do you have enough to tow), insurance, gas , storage, maintenance, ect. These will add up. Also, you will quickly find that you need more rods, reels, lures….go luck with that!

Lastly, welcome to BBC. Some very knowledgeable people on here about everything, so ask your questions. Post a pic when you pick her up.

Well, you are the self proclaimed expert at everything. One might think you’re a female, since all you want to do is argue.
    Personal insults.

Weak.

12. Member
    The guy lives next to both lakes, I didn’t just randomly pick them out of the entire state, duh. First time boat owner in a 17’ aluminum boat, on the #1 rated “most dangerous lake in Texas”, what could possibly go wrong.

It’s good to see you out of staters, know the lakes better than the people that live here.

If he keeps it in the backwater areas, he should be fine. Get out with the wakeboats and it’s a goner. Just giving the guy a warning, not everyone is as smart as Ol’ Musky.
    Conroe and Sam Rayburn are toys compared to Lake Erie, and people run 18-19 foot boats on Erie all the time, just have to be smart about it.

13. Member
    I had an G3 eagle 190 for a few years. I wasnt a big fan, it was narrow and very light compared to other tin boats. It sits a little higher in the water as well so wind was an issue all the time. The Yamaha is a great motor though. I would look for an xpress or war eagle if you can find one.

14. Member
    I used to put my 16.5ft aluminum V hull with a 50hp Yamaha in the Narraganset bay all the way out to the ocean. Any boat can go any where as long as you only go out in weather that your boat can handle. The difference between a 21ft glass boat and a smaller aluminum boat isn't about where you can go its about how often the weather allows you to. Wake boats are annoying but just slow down.

Don't hesitate and get the boat now! Nothing is better than being on the water
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (90,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

15. Member
    Take a test ride, fiberglass boat versus aluminum, you can thank me later.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    That G3 will be a good boat for family fishing. They build a solid and safe boat.
    It will even handle getting you out of rough waters if a storm happens to pop up.
    Get it and enjoy fishing with your family.
    When rigging your boat, assume its going to spend its life in the rain, making your boat "waterproof" will ensure your safety and performance of all systems, including wiring, bilge pump, livewell, navigation lighting, and carry all required safety equipment on board, as well as first-aid supplies and spare tools, and don't forget the roll of toilet paper in a Ziploc bag !

17. Member
    I just wanted to circle back to this post and thank everyone for the feedback. We ended up going with a new G3 17-10. Loving it so far. We just have very basic electronics on it so that is something I am working on upgrading.

We are coming off of a 5th day straight on Spring Break fishing, Lake Conroe, Sam Rayburn, and Livingston. My teenage daughter loves to fish so great memories being made. thomas 1.jpgAllie 2.jpgAllie 3.jpgAllie Boat.jpgAllie 1.jpg

Those smiles are priceless!

19. Member

20. Member
    Awesome! Glad it worked out! My daughter lived to fish UNTIL she turned into a teenager. So enjoy it while ya can!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast