Thread: Talons-Cost

Talons-Cost

What is the going price for a set of Talons, 10ft, including brackets and isntallation? Can one do the job or do I need a pair. Don't know much about them but now fishing in Florida and find that I need them for the shallow lakes I am fishing.

Power poles and Talons. Which whay do I need to go? Not sure how each differs and if there is a cost difference. I have read that the additional weight of these may cause issues with your boat. Need good information to make a decision to lay out the cash. Your comments will be appreciated regardless of your preferences.
    Spurgeon Chapman

2. Member
    Power poles for sure, customer service is excellent.

There are several comparisons and installations videos on YouTube also.

4. Member
    i installed talon myself and it was easy. took 2 hrs or so. I have poles now on different boat and like them also. old boat had no room for pumps was the main reason I went with talons. both great include the raptors in your search also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I went Tallons due to lack of room for pumps for Power Poles. Both are good products. Get 2 of which ever choose.

6. Member
    If you have a jack plate it’s definitely a DIY. And…get 2 if you can afford it. I went with talons because of not having room for the pumps.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    100 % wouldnt be going talon .. Raptor or Powerpole.. were one of the largest shallow water anchor dealers in the country happy to help you out.

8. Member
    I've owned blades and talons, and both are great. I would give the nod to the talon, but can't go wrong with either!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailtail View Post
    What is the going price for a set of Talons, 10ft, including brackets and isntallation? Can one do the job or do I need a pair. Don't know much about them but now fishing in Florida and find that I need them for the shallow lakes I am fishing.

Power poles and Talons. Which whay do I need to go? Not sure how each differs and if there is a cost difference. I have read that the additional weight of these may cause issues with your boat. Need good information to make a decision to lay out the cash. Your comments will be appreciated regardless of your preferences.
    If you go the talon route, I'd say you could get a set of 10ft bluetooth versions for around $1,500 apiece, check mygreenoutdoors.com, they're a board sponsor. Brackets might cost another $300 apiece. I have talons and have had no issues with them, but they are heavy. They are very easy to install yourself though, I'll attach a link with some notes I took after installation. If you have room for the pumps, you can't go wrong with powerpole, and customer service seems to be second to none.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...=#post10892111

10. Member
    I have talons on my boat and love them. I mostly only use one and bump the trolling motor and fish in an ark lift the talon, drift in the wind, drop the talon and do it again.

11. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I have dual 12' talons and like them. I bought them to replace a single 10 footer that was on my boat when I bought it five years ago and because I ran across a really good deal here on BBC on a one year old set of takeoffs from a pro that was getting a new boat with PP's. I don't have a jackplate so had no choice but to stick with the sandwich brackets and installed them myself. I read recently that Minn Kota is discontinuing its manufacturing of the Talon. I haven't confirmed whether this is true or not but if I was buying new today or having to replace my Talons for some reason I would certainly be going with PP or Raptors

12. Member
    love my 15' talons unlike poles they will hold in huge waves and wakes etc.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    love my 15' talons unlike poles they will hold in huge waves and wakes etc.
    Same.

I run two 12 foot talons. Have had them on my boat now for about 5 years with no issues and they work great. I went with the Talons for a few reasons. First, I had no room for hydraulic pumps in my transom and didn't really like the idea of having something else back there with oil that could leak and cause a mess. Secondly, the Talons have the capability of holding my boat in deeper water. Third, I don't like the way power poles or raptors extend way out behind the boat. So far, I don't have anything negative to say about the Talons. Mine have worked fine since install and I did all the installation myself.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5