Patrick Walters jerkbait rod.

Pat now has a jerk bait rod in the elite line up. I was listening to a podcast and he was saying the AGS model was a softer action and had more flex?? I believe the specs are the same. Has anyone felt the 2 rods? AGS and reg-guides?? Also are they both full cork handles?

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    According to the Daiwa website the AGS model is split cork.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Sounds like the AGS model is the one to get. The regular sounds like its built "heavy" in action.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

4. Member
    That’s what I was wondering is if there is a different in the rod blank that makes them different? I think I’m going to call the tackle trap..

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    That’s what I was wondering is if there is a different in the rod blank that makes them different? I think I’m going to call the tackle trap..
    Thank you. I'll get the correct answer and let you know. I would be surprised if they made a different blank for the AGS model. Those AGS guides can certainly make a significant difference in how a rod feels, so I suspect this is the case here. I've been wrong before though

6. Member
    I felt both of the new ones in a shop, and they actually had the older version on an adjacent rack. To me, the blank on the Seth signature rod felt slightly softer (more parabolic), whereas the Patrick signature rod felt maybe a half power heavier and slightly faster. I think the Patrick signature rod is meant to be used for the 110+ sized baits whereas the Seth rod feels better with a 90. The AGS rod was lighter weight overall. It did seem like the blank on the old and new version of the Seth rods were the same, but I can't confirm that there were no changes other than color.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys… I have the new version of Seth rod regular guides. (Bought from the tackle trap because of there excellent service and support of us fishermen!!) very nice rod for 110jr … never lose a fish with it because it flex’s so nice (sv70 reel 8lb sniper line) the only reason I’m ask is the video I saw with Walter’s and another pro angler talking, can’t remember his name. But they started talking about jerkbait rod and he said the AGS one was better with small JB than the regular guides… interesting to me as they have the same specs. Pat was saying he was putting heavy hook on him JB and heavy line and is able to horse the fish out of cover much better. I’m just really curious :-)

Thank you for the kind words and the continued support. I very much appreciate that!

I spoke with the engineers at Daiwa about the technical differences between the new 2023 Tatula Elite AGS rods in general versus the non-AGS models. The specialized manufacturing process used when making the AGS rod blanks excludes more resin from remaining in the finished blank. The AGS guides are also more rigid than the Fuji guides used on the non-AGS models which can result in a stiffer, more rigid feel to the blank.

If there's anything Daiwa that we don't have in stock and you're looking for it, please feel free to send me a PM. I order regularly and am happy to get you anything you may need!

9. Member
    Guys this is why the tackle trap is so special!! There so will to help us anglers find answers…. I enjoy buying tackle/grear from companies like this! Definitely sounds like there’s a difference.

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    According to the Daiwa website the AGS model is split cork.
    I had my hands on the AGS model today and it's a full cork handle. It was also very light.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I had my hands on the AGS model today and it's a full cork handle. It was also very light.
    How did the rod flex?

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    How did the rod flex?
    I thought it was faster compared to the Gen 1 Megabass XX Jerkbait Special I currently use.

I'm "sort of" looking for another sub-7' jerkbait rod that I could also use for topwater and today I was able to handle 5 of them with prices ranging from $150 (Tatula) to $850 (Poison Ultima). Now I'm more confused as to what I want.....