Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's almost certainly on the Merc side...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Update:

Finally quit raining and I put the muffs on and started the engine.

Water pressure is available as a data source from the VVL gateway, and at idle w/ the muffs on was 3.5-4PSI. So this confirms the VVL can pass the water pressure data to the NEMA2K network.

It is not available as engine data in the Mercury app.

I was able to make an instruments screen and add Water Pressure, and add it as a data overlay, data available on all 3 of my HDS units.

Since my HDS 7 is new and I hadn’t customized it much, I did attempt to hard reset it and reset the VVL link to factory defaults. I left both of the other HDS units off, and completed a re-setup of both the VVL and Merc Setup Wizard. This should’ve simulated a fresh install. The behavior of the Merc App did not change.

To me it seems like a bug in the Mercury “App” (the thing that replicates a true vessel view display on the HDS). Still have Battery and Trim available twice in the engine data list.

I posted up in the Lowrance forum too, and two other users reported that they can’t get water pressure in the engine data screen on the Merc App either…here is that link as an FYI —> https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1260628

I also watched several YouTube videos this weekend on the VVL and VesselView in general and never saw water pressure on anyone’s screen.

I did open a case w/ Lowrance, will see what they say.

Don, maybe next time you get one in the shop, have a peek at the engine data screen and see if H2O pressure is available?
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-22-2024 at 08:14 AM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Odd part is that the manual DOES show it available (there's even screens shown displaying it).

Be careful about referring to the "app", as that would be a completely different device/system (Vessel View MOBILE). I understand what you meant, but in this context it will be extremely confusing to those who haven't followed it along.

The specific programming that's holding that back is likely NOT in the Lowrance, but rather in the VesselView Link. I'll definitely make a point to look at that next one I have in (or mention should I be in contact with someone). I'd have no problem looking into it with Merc, but that would be something that I would need "hands-on access" to do. Hence the suggestion of the Selling Dealer.

You CAN (or should be able to) add it to the additional VesselView Data Screen (user definable) like lpugh did:

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh

I do no not the choices mercury provides so I designed my own shown above,

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Don, thanks for the reply.
    I will refer to it as the "Mercury Panel" from now on -- struggled trying to come up w/ a way to refer to it.

I definitely did make an instruments screen, like lpugh did, using the Lowrance gauges that incorporated all the data I wanted to see and that works.
    I do prefer the Mercury "theme," but its more important to me to have all the data I need than what it looks like.

I may go to Cabelas, but it is not super convenient either, the closest one is 50 miles away.
    Not sure what hands on info you would need, I'd be willing and able to try to do a zoom call or FaceTime or whatever would work to try to debug, but hate to take your time up w/ it too.

Truly appreciate all the advice and help you have provided so far ...hopefully this thread helps some others too.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you get on the phone with those guys, you need to be prepared to answer any question they might have (ie: need access to everything and anything related). Versions, connections, what happens if you do this or that, etc.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    When you get on the phone with those guys, you need to be prepared to answer any question they might have (ie: need access to everything and anything related). Versions, connections, what happens if you do this or that, etc.
    Makes total sense, I live in the electroncis/IT industry, so pretty familiar w/ debug strategies....

7. Member
    I had promised some pics when this install was complete, finally got around to collecting them. FWIW, I have a call set up with Lowrance Support; as nobody can solve my lack of available Water Pressure on the Mercury Panel in my VVL setup -- starting to think it is indeed a bug, we shall see; I'll report back when that issue is at its end.

2 Views on my HDS7 here, the first one is the "Instruments" panel I made up with a bunch of data, including water pressure. The second is the standard "Mercury Panel".
    These were taken sitting in my garage, engine keyed on, but not running.

I still have to resolve why each one reports a different trim percentage, even though I have calibrated trim on both of them with the exact same procedure and at the same time...(You can see Trim in the data overlay on the chart view on the HDS 12 says 60.8% and in the Instruments view on the HDS 7 says 34%). And, of course, the Mercury Panel uses a different set of units -- so I will need to get used to this a bit.

Helm 2.jpgHelm 1.jpg
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; Yesterday at 10:17 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind you can only calibrate the VesselView Screen's display of trim. Displays on any other screens or overlays is "raw data".

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Keep in mind you can only calibrate the VesselView Screen's display of trim. Displays on any other screens or overlays is "raw data".
    Make sense, but trouble understanding why the raw data would be different one screen to the next, when the source of the data is the VVL...

Actualy raw data the same between both units…Uugh…clearly some bugs in the Lowrance system.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; Today at 04:10 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123