Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gold as currency

I am not a gold bug. I don’t want it as an investment or hedge. I am thinking of buying some to use as currency in case the stuff hits the fan, in whatever form that comes.

I have heard of it being used in recent times during natural disasters but those stories don’t go into detail. Has anyone tried buying something with gold bars or coins? What would be the best denomination to use?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I am not a gold bug. I don’t want it as an investment or hedge. I am thinking of buying some to use as currency in case the stuff hits the fan, in whatever form that comes.

I have heard of it being used in recent times during natural disasters but those stories don’t go into detail. Has anyone tried buying something with gold bars or coins? What would be the best denomination to use?
    I would think if things go that far south its not going to be gold needed. but food and bullets. Those will probably go hand in hand to be honest.

3. Member
    If we get that deep then chickens will be worth more than gold.
    ________
    $8

4. Member
    Might be firing that gold in bullets if SHTF!

5. Member
    If stuff hits the fan as you say how would you use the gold? Cash would be worthless likely and I would assume any standards for gold value would depend on the person you are directly dealing with so they could give you less than what you feel it is worth. In times of chaos all rules are out the window.

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    My idea of investing in precious metals is buying another 1000 rounds of ammo. I suppose if things get that bad you could always pour yourself some gold bullets.

7. Member
    There will always be a need for a base currency. Gold and other precious metals will be one option.

8. Member
    A sign would be Costco is starting to sell it but they won’t buy it back…..
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

If the crap hits the fan, gold won't be worth much in terms of barter. For bartering, the most valuable two things will be canned goods and ammunition.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Yeah if it gets that bad, you need ammo and lots of it. You’re gonna have to take what you need to survive.

11. Member
    I didn’t start this thread to have a debate. I guess nobody can answer the question but feel the need to say something irrelevant.

12. Member
    1/10ths could be useful. But really, somebody with a gun is going to kill you for them. Invest in brass, lead, steel, plastic first.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

13. Member
    Never bought anything with precious metals, but have accepted them as payment, but not during a natural disaster. Accepted them at spot value. If you want it for a situation like you’re asking about, I would think you would probably want multiple “denominations” worth of metals. Get some silver for smaller purchases. Pre ‘64 quarters, nickels, & dimes and some 1 oz coins. Then get somesome 1/4, 1/2, & 1 oz gold coins for larger purchases. I would only want american eagles or canadian maple leafs. I probably wouldn’t bother with bars myself, unless you need to payoff a shady politician. This, of course, is after I have a solid stockpile of ammo and food. I also agree with what most of the other commenters on this thread are saying. The precious metals will probably be better as a storage of wealth during the rebuild after a societal collapse rather than a currency during it.

I'm not sure what company is pushing around this thought, but my brother asked me the same thing. My answer is when sheet goes completely south, no one will care about gold, what can you do with it in survival mode? Like others have said, food, bullets, guns and something I was told 20 years ago. Hand farming tools, seeds, etc (Gardening).
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If the crap hits the fan, gold won't be worth much in terms of barter. For bartering, the most valuable two things will be canned goods and ammunition.
    Yep Brass and tin would be a lifeline.

16. Member
    Is this based on the "Doom &Gloom" TV commercial selling gold?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Yeah if it gets that bad, you need ammo and lots of it. You’re gonna have to take what you need to survive.
    Like minded friends and family. Hopefully more capable than not, sadly.

18. Member
    Taught myself how to reload and can filet a fish..............

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Taught myself how to reload and can filet a fish..............
    The fishing and the hunting might take a different look

20. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I am not a gold bug… I am thinking of buying some to use as currency in case the stuff hits the fan…

What would be the best denomination to use?

Who controls John Gill?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast