Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kentucky Derby!!

Wife & I are wanting to go experience it this year, anyone that has been or knows--> will you throw out some advice on the ins & outs of this? Thx guys!!

2. Member
    The wife is gonna buy an expensive hat
    Wish I was going

Went in 2019. Had a great time. Had the winning horse (Maximum Security) but got dq. Parked in a shopping center near the track and rode a bus right up to the front gate. We stayed in Lexington. Toured a few of the horse farms and Keeneland Racetrack. After the race we drove up to Nashville for a few days before flying home.

4. Member
    From millionaires and celebrity's on one side to the infield "party". https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ompletely-nuts

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    The wife is gonna buy an expensive hat
    Sure backwards baseball cap and a Porta-Potty Run!

6. Member
    The infield is the place to be!

And if you have the time hit some of the locations on the bourbon trail.
    Home | Kentucky Bourbon Trail

7. Member
    My advice is definitely not the infield. Now if you’re young and just want to get chit faced and party then yeah. That’s where you want to be. Otherwise avoid it like the plague. The stands are nice. Dress nice in vibrant colors. Get the wife a nice derby hat. The temperature is typically pretty comfortable that day.

Get you a race program, place some bets, try some of the drink, and watch the crowd. Suck it up and just be prepared to pay big $$$$ to park. Get close, pay the $100 and save walking a couple miles. Is what it is. It’s going to be a really expensive day, so make sure take a nice bankroll.

It’s a fun day though for those that can afford it. I don’t go on derby day anymore cause of the cost, but we go a few other times every year. Always a good time. Have fun.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    Sure backwards baseball cap and a Porta-Potty Run!

I was there in 2009! I didn't appear in the video though. One of the most fun, wildest days I have had.

9. Member
    It's one of those things everyone should do once in their life. I went with The Kentucky Colonels and had a blast. We stayed at a local hotel and were bussed into the Derby as well as bussed back to the hotel so no one had to drive. The hotel staff met us at the door with mint juleps and kept them pouring all weekend.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    My advice is definitely not the infield. Now if you’re young and just want to get chit faced and party then yeah. That’s where you want to be. Otherwise avoid it like the plague. The stands are nice. Dress nice in vibrant colors. Get the wife a nice derby hat. The temperature is typically pretty comfortable that day.

Get you a race program, place some bets, try some of the drink, and watch the crowd. Suck it up and just be prepared to pay big $$$$ to park. Get close, pay the $100 and save walking a couple miles. Is what it is. It’s going to be a really expensive day, so make sure take a nice bankroll.

It’s a fun day though for those that can afford it. I don’t go on derby day anymore cause of the cost, but we go a few other times every year. Always a good time. Have fun.
    Nailed it.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. Member
    OHHHHH the infield. HAHAHAHAHA I remember the boob-o-meter well and maybe the conception of a child. It gets real in the college section.

The infield now has bleacher seats and it’s nice. Not much shade. But it could cooler temps too

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    OHHHHH the infield. HAHAHAHAHA I remember the boob-o-meter well and maybe the conception of a child. It gets real in the college section.
    Sounds like the good old days in the mid-1970's at the Watkins Glen F1 race in early October. One year, I saw the crowd burn a Greyhound bus in the Bog that a large group of tourists from Brazil had leased to see Emerson Fittipauldi win the F1 World Championship.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Bucket list item
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen656 View Post
    Bucket list item
    If you like sports and horse racing you really should try to make it once. It’s quite the experience. Hope you all get to make it once.

16. Member
    Go watch the 360° 4K hi-res movie if they still have it. It was like $10 but worth it. It's in the museum.

https://www.derbymuseum.org/Exhibits...ions%20soaring.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    From millionaires and celebrity's on one side to the infield "party". https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ompletely-nuts
    Wow! Had no idea there was a Burning Man side of the Kentucky Derby! lol

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    If your a fan of thoroughbred horse racing and are wanting to take in some high caliber racing and not have a lot of distractions then KY Derby is not the place to be. If your interested in going to a horse race that's turned into a glamorous event you can experience that. If your looking to party and see some wild stuff then head to the infield. For a social event I recommend it. For a fan of horse racing stay at home and watch it on TV.

19. Member
    Thx guys! Didnt realize the $$$$ to play that game.
    guess we'll have to come up with some other Southern experience at a lower price. Was planning $4000 for the whole trip not a damn ticket. Any other suggestions?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W.O.T View Post
    Thx guys! Didnt realize the $$$$ to play that game.
    guess we'll have to come up with some other Southern experience at a lower price. Was planning $4000 for the whole trip not a damn ticket. Any other suggestions?
    There are plenty of tix for the Ky derby way less than 4k a piece. And im not talking general admin either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast