What Surge Protector do you all use?

Been working on trying to get the things we need for the new camper as we have never had one this nice.
    Ill be using it the first part of March here for our Trout Season opener and it can still be pretty cold so not planning on dewinterizing it just yet but will be using elsectric at the camp ground.
    One thing a lot of the You Tube vids say is to get a Surge Protector. This is something we have never had before either in the 5 years of owning our old camper and useing it a lot at campgrounds on a regular basis.
    This is the one I am looking at getting right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8T5F5Z...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I know there are others like the Power Watchdog that are more top of the line and have the replaceable surge module if it does happen.
    but it is conciderably more expensive.
    Just courious what some of you use?

In 40 years of owning 5 different RV's, I've never used one. There's always been a circuit breaker at the plug-in, so never saw the need or expense for additional protection.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I use a progressive industries ssp 30xl

4. Member
    Progressive 30 Amp EMS-PT30X.

5. Member
    I also use a Progressive industries protector. I got the one that is hard wired into my motor home so I don’t have $300-400 hanging on the electrical outlet. It is nice to see what kind of power you have coming into your camper. Even had one older camp ground that didn’t have enough voltage in the summer time because of everybody running the AC. so I used the generator that night and went to a different campground the next day.

6. Member
    I use one. I like being able to use it to test power before plugging in to trailer.

7. Member
    We have a southwire surgeguard that is hardwired into our rig from the manufacturer and at some point i will replace it with a Power Watchdog unit. A couple of reasons i want to replace it. The first reason being the replaceable surge module. The one i have now if i take a hit and fry the module i'm without power from the pedestal or generator until i replace the entire unit or rewire the coach to run without it. Both options really suck.... I really like the replaceable module idea and would keep one on hand. The other reason is data. I like that the watchdog has an app and gives some good data. Being full time in the rv like we are being able to track KWH used is handy for those parks that charge for power if you stay for over a week.
    Last edited by jb882; 01-29-2024 at 09:23 AM.

8. Member
    I have the Watchdog, 2 in fact, 30 amp & 50 amp. Cheap protection against power issues from the campground. If people realized how much fluctuation there was at campgrounds they would all own one. The less expensive surge protectors only protect against one surge. The Watchdog protects against the surge but also against low voltage, which can cause as or more damage than a surge. Ultimately it is your decision and I would say that the only bad decision is not using one.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

9. Member
    Hughes. Spouse bought for almost $250. We just bought a Grand Design Solitude and for what we paid for it a great surge protector seemed like cheap insurance. Not saying there may be cheaper options for less but this one less thing to worry about. Good luck.