Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    My WaterFurnace was installed in 2016 and the Aux heat has never come on once. We live in a 1988 built, 1880 sq ft race and heating to 70 and cooling to 72 costs me around $400 annually. I love this system!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You understand the concept of thermostat setting, right?
    Gas heat is warmer than electric heat. Wood heat is even warmer than gas. We don’t believe in no physics around these parts. Savvy?
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    You understand the concept of thermostat setting, right?
    You r such a funny guy.

4. Member
    68 degrees is 68 degrees no matter what the source is.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 519DVX View Post
    My WaterFurnace was installed in 2016 and the Aux heat has never come on once. We live in a 1988 built, 1880 sq ft race and heating to 70 and cooling to 72 costs me around $400 annually. I love this system!
    And your in Rochester NY, it aint warm there in the winter

Heat pumps never make hot air, only warm air compaired to other heat systems. That is unless the AUX. heat is on. Then they make hotter air. Normal air temp of a heat pump in normal operating mode is no more than about 75 deg. If you put your hand over a vent while one is running you will say DAMN, this thing is blowing cold air.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Heat pumps never make hot air, only warm air compaired to other heat systems. That is unless the AUX. heat is on. Then they make hotter air. Normal air temp of a heat pump in normal operating mode is no more than about 75 deg. If you put your hand over a vent while one is running you will say DAMN, this thing is blowing cold air.
    This is what I was talking about. It does Not feel warm.

8. Member
    Air coming out of the vents of a heat pump should be around 20 degrees warmer than ambient temp, no less than 15. If the air coming out of your vents is only 75 then its either 55-60 degrees in your house or your heat pump isn't working properly.

9. Member
    All I know is my Trane heat pump was junk only lasted 7 years. Replaced it with a standard natural gas furnace.
    John the Garage Doorman

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    All I know is my Trane heat pump was junk only lasted 7 years. Replaced it with a standard natural gas furnace.
    And I bet you are a whole lot warmer with the gas heat too

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    And I bet you are a whole lot warmer with the gas heat too
    Yes we are.
    John the Garage Doorman

12. Member
    Heat pumps are common in Mass but most have gas or oil fired for back up , I run oil fired boiler I spend way more per year on oil but I can say my boiler will crank out the heat in below zero Temps in a down fired mode, endless hot water , system over 20 years old with no repairs just maintenance. I don't mind the cost its nice to have the powerful heat source.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

13. Member
    Your installer was incompetent. Had our water furnace since 2009. Emergency heat turned on once at 13 below. Get your ground loop extended by a competent installer.
    do you read it correctly? it always works great, never feels cold anywhere in the 3 zone house! danco is the best around for these and that's who installed it. it has 3 loops about 30-40 yards each direction times 3
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Gas heat is warmer than electric heat. Wood heat is even warmer than gas. We don’t believe in no physics around these parts. Savvy?
    Great post!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Air coming out of the vents of a heat pump should be around 20 degrees warmer than ambient temp, no less than 15. If the air coming out of your vents is only 75 then its either 55-60 degrees in your house or your heat pump isn't working properly.
    Ok, I was off a little bit! But at these temps the air coming out of the vents will never feel warm. I found this online "The average temperature output of a heat pump is 85°F to 92°F in heat mode without auxiliary heat."

16. Member
    Ok, I was off a little bit! But at these temps the air coming out of the vents will never feel warm. I found this online "The average temperature output of a heat pump is 85°F to 92°F in heat mode without auxiliary heat."
    The output is not like a car/truck blowing out actual hot air it works on pulling in your ambient air get it warmer send it out , it's not fast but definitely more comfortable vrs a conventional hot air furnace blowing out hot air going on and off constantly.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

17. dartag1829
    We are at a rental in Florida. It has a heat pump system. Been down near 30 the last few nights. It keeps the house warm no problem. We keep it at 70 during the day and 68 at night. Only thing is the outdoor AC unit is right outside our bedroom window. It has a squeel on start up. It does run a lot keeping the house warm... Makes me appreciate my gas furnace back home in Michigan.

18. Member
    It dont matter what you use to heat if the house is poorly insulated and leaks air like a sieve. Your wasting money year after year. Instead of spending $20-40k of some " green system", your far better off air sealing and insulating. Once thats done, your energy consumption will be a fraction of what it is now. And it wont matter what you use cause you'll be using very little.

19. Member
    Meter burner when it comes to so called auxiliary heat.$
    Scary part is that it intails more electric consumption
    Last edited by BillsFan; 01-21-2024 at 10:41 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    We had a Trane heat pump for our 2nd level. Piece of crap. Always needed work, and it was brand new when we moved in. Replaced with a Bosch 4-5 years ago, been a great unit. It heats until 5f, according to the manual. But I switch over to emergency heat at anything approaching 10f or below.
    John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast