New ZXR20 hydraulic jackplate questions

I'm coming out of a 2021 ZX225 with a manual jackplate and this will be my first Bassboat with a hydraulic jackplate so I have a few questions. What is a good setting for the plate for hole shot and when getting on plane? When towing the boat with a MotorMate how high or low should the motor be?
    Any other things to consider with this boat?

Thanks
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

2. Member
    I don't know what hydraulic jack plate you are referring to but I'm pretty sure the Atlas manual used to say "trailer with the jack plate all the way down".

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    I don't know what hydraulic jack plate you are referring to but I'm pretty sure the Atlas manual used to say "trailer with the jack plate all the way down".
    Yes, it's an Atlas.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

I have a ZXR20 with an Atlas. I keep mine on 12 most often when taking off etc and adjust as needed when running. 10-12 is a good all around point for me. I've found 16 to be about the most I need when WOT in most conditions to maximize speed etc.

I run mine all the way down when towing. That is what the manual states so I follow their directions since tgey built it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have a ZXR20 with an Atlas. I keep mine on 12 most often when taking off etc and adjust as needed when running. 10-12 is a good all around point for me. I've found 16 to be about the most I need when WOT in most conditions to maximize speed etc.

I run mine all the way down when towing. That is what the manual states so I follow their directions since tgey built it.
    -
    Great, thanks for the information. All the way down works with a motormate and the skeg isn't to low to the ground?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    -
    Great, thanks for the information. All the way down works with a motormate and the skeg isn't to low to the ground?

I use the Pro Rule motor stabilizer and its not too low at all.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 01-28-2024 at 10:00 PM.

I’m about the same as Mark as far as running goes, although sometimes on the tidal rivers I’ll run it at like 18. They like to be run high, but be careful because that’s been known to throw blades on the T2 props, which is why I switched to a Bravo 4 blade so I can run it higher.

When trailering I drop it really low, probably not as low as it will go just so I don’t strain the motor hoses, so probably like 3 or 4.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    What Mark said, just be careful you don't tow with the motor so low the plastic wire housing rubs on the gel coat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ119 View Post
    What Mark said, just be careful you don't tow with the motor so low the plastic wire housing rubs on the gel coat.
    this ^^^^^^^

10. Member
    I run mine on 6 all the time. It all depends on your load, the prop, etc.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I pick up the boat in a couple of weeks and I'll start playing around with the settings.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

12. Member
    I have an Atlas on a 2022 ZXR 20 and have owned numerous boats with hydraulic jackplates. I always trim all the way down when towing with no issues regarding clearance or scratching the gel coat. I currently use the MotorMate. As far as were to set the jackplate when running, each time may be a little different based on the conditions and weight in the boat. That is one of the great advantages of having a hydraulic plate is being able to adjust with the push of the blinker trim. My current boat performs better at lower settings 7 to 9. It will pickup sufficient water pressure at 17 to 18 without blowing out but doesn't perform as well. By comparison I have a friend with a 2021 ZXR 20 and he runs his at 2 to 3. Each boat will vary. If you haven't purchased the trim gauge I would suggest doing so.

13. Member
    My boat liked the plate at around 18 at WOT. I always tried to keep it around 10 for taking off but never had a issues if I left it high getting on plane.

14. Member
    Just got a brand new ZXR21 broke in, came out a 16 ZX250 that I put a lot of seat time in, so I'm not a novice but new to the Hyd. JP.
    I loved the mid-range ride, but it's completely different ride and behavior than the ZX and will have to figure this ZXR hull out from scratch it seems.
    My only after break in run I had time for, I was all over the place, proposing and walking that I never had in the ZX.
    I stayed between 6 and 8 on the JP, and had a very light load, 1/4 tank.

Any input appreciated!

15. Member
    I have 4-5 hours now and so far I really love the boat and ride! As the above post says, there is a big difference with this new hull. More movement but I don't feel out of control. I've played with different jack plate heights but so far 5-9 seem to work best for me. With a pretty heavy load at WOT I've seen 70 MPH with two people. I'm okay with that since 50-55 is more my typical speed. The only thing I seem to have trouble with is water over the transom when stopping. With all my other Skeeters, unless you just came to an abrupt stop that wasn't an issue, now I really have to watch it or water pours over the back.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I have 4-5 hours now and so far I really love the boat and ride! As the above post says, there is a big difference with this new hull. More movement but I don't feel out of control. I've played with different jack plate heights but so far 5-9 seem to work best for me. With a pretty heavy load at WOT I've seen 70 MPH with two people. I'm okay with that since 50-55 is more my typical speed. The only thing I seem to have trouble with is water over the transom when stopping. With all my other Skeeters, unless you just came to an abrupt stop that wasn't an issue, now I really have to watch it or water pours over the back.
    When you come off plane and the boat sits down, just give it a little throttle for a few seconds. That will prevent backwash

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    When you come off plane and the boat sits down, just give it a little throttle for a few seconds. That will prevent backwash
    I do and have always done that but now it seems to want to push water over the back more with this boat. I think the jack plate pushes more water than the manual plate. Not a big deal, I'm getting the hang of it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225