Thread: Crazing?

Crazing?

Didn't want to highjack the other thread on the 188, but the OP shared a picture of "crazing" on top of the gunnel. What causes that? Is that from trailering with it covered?

2. Member
    First time I’ve heard that term, was in that thread.

3. Member
    I am the owner of the 188. From what I understand it is the "flexing" of the fiberglass over time. My PO had the boat wet sanded and buffed. He took it to a professional who advised him they are OK as long as you don't have stress cracks or damaged fiberglass. Most older boats will have them to some extent. My 188 has a few in the hull part and they are noticeable but you have to look for them at an angle.

4. Member
    My 186 (1996 model) has the crazing on the left gunnel really bad - the right gunnel is still in perfect shape. I asked a repair shop if they could fix it and they said yes but it is expensive and it would eventually come back.

5. Member
    I’ve seen it on the top cap when the boat has sat out in the elements for a long time. Environments in the southern states can bake em!

6. Member
    Crazing seems to be more heat, age and chemical composition related than caused by flex. many other sections of the boat could flex more ,but you will not get crazing. Stress cracks would be caused by flexing.

Crazing is caused by the thickness of the gel application. When Porthouse took over he wanted a finish that would last a lifetime, the downside to this is thicker clear, neglected, will cause the crazing. Not to worry, it’s cosmetic. It can be repaired but is costly, wrapping would be more cost effective.

8. Member
    Thanks Matt. That makes sense as to why a rig I looked at one time had the crazing everywhere on the top cap. Let's just say it wasn't the only part of the boat that was neglected! I assumed it was cosmetic, but couldn't justify going backwards to what I already had.