Looking at a 198p

Posted this in the ranger forum figured I might get more traffic here.

I'm looking at getting a 198p, I've been torn on wanting a fiberglass boat or a tin rig. I currently have a small tin rig that is used for crappie fishing and have owned 21ft glass boats before.
    I was just looking for input on these 198ps? It's a 2020 model, when I do a search on this forum or anywhere else all I see is cracked hulls. Thanks for the feed back.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kycrappie11 View Post
    Posted this in the ranger forum figured I might get more traffic here.

I'm looking at getting a 198p, I've been torn on wanting a fiberglass boat or a tin rig. I currently have a small tin rig that is used for crappie fishing and have owned 21ft glass boats before.
    I was just looking for input on these 198ps? It's a 2020 model, when I do a search on this forum or anywhere else all I see is cracked hulls. Thanks for the feed back.
    I was in the same situation you were and had the same thoughts. I liked the 198p but I kept hearing reports of the hulls cracking, not to mention the performance issues people were having and needing to grind the welds on the back to make it run right. I ended up getting a few year older fiberglass boat for less than what I could find a used 2017-2020 198P for.

Just saying you are NOT going to find posts about "How Great They Are". People only post Bitches and complaints.

Over all I have been very happy with my rig.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Just saying you are NOT going to find posts about "How Great They Are". People only post Bitches and complaints.

Over all I have been very happy with my rig.
    I have same rig . No problems with mine either .

5. Member
    I have had mine for 4 years and have fished some big waters with it, does everything I want it to with no problems so far. I would definitely buy another one.

6. Member
    As mentioned, you will hear mostly about issues, but not happy owners. If you are concerned about cracked welded hulls, then look at brands with riveted aluminum hulls in that style.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    Not the same, but am happy with my 2022 RT 188P. It's a great fishing platform. While safety in big water is always paramount, consider the amount of time you spend running the big motor compared to the time you spend fishing from the front deck.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The 208p is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    The 208p is another option.
    I just saw this in the latest Bass Pro Shop fishing catalog. $20K more than a 198P. I hope they have one at the local boat show in February, very interested in the hull manufacturing process.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    I have a 2020 RT198p and have been very pleased with it. As stated above, it does everything I need. Plenty of room, even for 3 (over) grown men fishing in it. It's a relatively heavy hull - for a tin - and performs very well in rough water (again, for a tin boat). It has its limitations no doubt...it'll get you a little wet in really rough water, has a tendency to lean a little if two or three fishermen are on the same side and is definitely no speed demon. I have had no quality issues with mine but I also do not abuse it. No matter what brand, material or build process, if you abuse a boat it's going to show. I have mine completely loaded - hydraulic jackplate (highly recommended), dual power poles, Ultrex, 4 - 12" graphs, MEGA 360, AT, trick step, keel guard (yes, it can be done) and a host of other add-ons and upgrades. Feel free to PM me for more information, pics, etc.

Reb

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I have had mine for 4 years and have fished some big waters with it, does everything I want it to with no problems so far. I would definitely buy another one.
    X2
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    X2
    Where you been? I hope you have been to busy catching!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Member
    No complains at all about my 2018, it's been a great boat!