Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Two biggest ones I can think of were the Reaction Innovations Beavers which pretty much everyone copied, and the Berkely Chigger Craw which is almost an exact copy of a Netbait Paca Craw. I for one try to avoid ones like these that I know were "copied" and just buy the originals to support the smaller manufacturers.
    Worst one in recent memory for me is Zaldains swimbait ripping off a Magdraft. It's literally the same bait and he did it like one day after leaving megabass smh

What's funnier is when a knock off wins a "best in show" award at icast or something. I remember this place being in a tizzy over that one year where it was pretty obvious.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    For those of you on FB, Mickey Ellis is going to do a video too...
    I saw that. I think he's a little pissed over the "Hangover" release. I brought one but defiantly prefer his Rising Son over that.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    What's funnier is when a knock off wins a "best in show" award at icast or something. I remember this place being in a tizzy over that one year where it was pretty obvious.
    Otherwise known as "The Berkely Award" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    True dat, SK Sexy Shad may be the most duplicated color out there. I have no idea if you can copy right a color, but I do know that you can copy right phrases. For example, Pat Riley had the copy right on "Three-peat".
    You cannot copyright a color

The reason that there are so many knock-offs is the type of patent that covers most baits, even assuming that a manufacturer got a patent, which many do not. Most fishing lures would be covered under a Design patent that describes the shape of the item. Someone can copy the item and make on tiny changes to avoid violating a standing patent.

Zman has been adamant about defending their patent on the blade being directly attached to the eye of the jighead, which I assume must be a Utility patent. In that case, major changes are required to a similar item so that it does not violate the standing patent.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    I always found the original of anything is the best. Humminbird side imaging, Garmin livescope, Yamamoto senko, Zman Chatterbait etc.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    For those of you on FB, Mickey Ellis is going to do a video too...
    Anyone know when this will happen?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Humminbird / Minn Kota

9. dartag1829
    Would imagine every bait company design group has a Free Loader Knock Off in the works. Was the Hog Farmer Spunk Shad the first design of that style bait???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12