Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Screwed up and put def in my diesel tank

Did the dumb thing as the title says, was distracted getting ready for a fishing trip last week and put def in my fuel tank, after I realized what I was doing i immediately yanked it out but not after about 1/4 of the bottle went in. I immediately started preparing to get truck towed to Ford dealership to get everything cleaned out but with the little bit of preparation I had to do get in the cab to pop the hood and pull fuel pump fuse and put truck In neutral the system already primed and the dealer called me and said they found crystals all the way to the injectors, I called insurance company and they came out yesterday and covered the claim. This was a $15,000.00 mistake and I hope to never do this again. I’m trying to get ready for the eufaula regional in a few weeks and msn now I’m on a real time crucible as they have to put a whole new fuel system on my truck. Just goes to show what a little distraction can make happen

2. Member
    This can happen to anybody...........sorry it happened and it looks like it was made right.

I know that error is frequently cited as the cause of the CP4 fuel pump failuer. Is that being replaced in the $15k bill?
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

We're you filling it up while it was running?

Otherwise I'm not following how you got Def to the injectors.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

5. Member
    This should never be covered by insurance and is the reason why our rates are skyrocketing.

I don’t care how distracted you are, there are 2 different colors of caps.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    I know that error is frequently cited as the cause of the CP4 fuel pump failuer. Is that being replaced in the $15k bill?
    They replacing every fuel
    compon all the way through the injectors, have a 60
    gallon s&b tank that is factory replacement and they said the will be able to clean that out and save it

yes new fuel pump
    injectors
    lines
    water separator
    he mentioned some other things but pretty much the entire fuel system

and yes he said they see it a lot especially with the 1500s going to diesel now

7. Member
    I am surprised insurance would cover negligence like that.

8. Member
    The reason our rates are climbing is because of dirty courtroom lawyers not someone like me!

im 45 years old
    run my own business and have about 8 different insurance policies and other then a fiberglass boat repair claim last fall because of an underwater metal pipe I have never made a claim

so don’t even try and say this because normal people like me are not here to buck the system

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    We're you filling it up while it was running?

Otherwise I'm not following how you got Def to the injectors.
    This

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    This should never be covered by insurance and is the reason why our rates are skyrocketing.

The reason our rates are climbing is because of dirty courtroom lawyers not someone like me!

im 45 years old
    run my own business and have about 8 different insurance policies and other then a fiberglass boat repair claim last fall because of an underwater metal pipe I have never made a claim

so don’t even try and say this because normal people like me are not here to buck the system

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck1958 View Post
    This
    They said the system had enough to prime it up with me having to get into the truck every time the door opens it primes the system

12. Member
    I don’t want to jinx myself but I really have no idea how this could ever happen.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

I have heard many stories like this. You are not alone.

I am so careful with mine, I once left a BP station because their regular gas pumps were green and the diesel was black.

I said, NO DIESEL IS GREEN. DON’T CONFUSE ME.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    They said the system had enough to prime it up with me having to get into the truck every time the door opens it primes the system
    Priming it doesn’t push it to the injectors.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

15. Banned
    Sounds like something I would do . As my main man Forrest would, say $hit happens.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Priming it doesn’t push it to the injectors.
    Mechanic said that once primed the def draws up and does not go down
    he said compare it to putting a rope in water and it wicks it up

i can say on my end the truck was never cranked and I pulled the fuel pump fuse then put it on wrecker the next morning
    now what happened when it got to the dealer I have no answer for

17. Member
    Dang, sorry about your entire situation. I had a Ram Ecodiesel for 7 years and worried about that for 7 years. I always filled up the DEF at the local truck stop and that kept me out of trouble, had to think about what I was doing. Just get in line with the big rigs and piss them off.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post

im 45 years old

Don’t take offense, you screwed up, automobile insurance should be for wrecks. How long have you owned this truck? I half way wonder if there is some bamboozling going on by the dealership. Hopefully a ford certified mechanic chimes in on the thread.

These guys are telling you that it made it through the fuel filters and into the Bosch pump and you never turned the truck on?

Don’t take offense, you screwed up, automobile insurance should be for wrecks. How long have you owned this truck? I half way wonder if there is some bamboozling going on by the dealership. Hopefully a ford certified mechanic chimes in on the thread.

These guys are telling you that it made it through the fuel filters and into the Bosch pump and you never turned the truck on?

Bullshit, Insurance is for shit happens moments.

By your logic, insurance would not cover at fault accidents.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

20. Member

. Then what mistake should and shouldn’t be covered?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast