Opinions on 2000 OX66 200

I've heard they're good motors, but wanted to ask here. I might go look at a boat with one on it.

2. Member
    Best motor Yamaha ever made. With the proper maintenance they last a long time. Mine is a 2003. 1400 hours, but had a remanufactured power head installed at about 1000 hours due to a crack in the water jacket.

3. Member
    As long as the maintenance has been done and good leak down test. They are reliable motors.

4. Member
    I had over 1500 hours on mine when sold to a buddy who is still running it. I loved that motor and it smelled better than my 4 stroke in the mornings.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

5. Member
    I would add if your mechanically inclined they are easy to perform the maintenance on them. Maintenance parts still available.

6. Member
    Agreed...I have a 2000 225 and like previously mentioned, maintenance is key!

7. Member
    Great motor, best Yamaha for sure.

8. Member
    I had a 250 OX for many years.
    Best motor I ever owned. Easy to maintain but loves the gas and oil

9. Member
    Worst issue with these was diaphragm failures in the mechanical fuel pumps mounted to the side of the block. When they fail un-oiled fuel goes through the pulse ports that operate these pumps. This washes lubrication from the rod bearings near the failed pump and the bearing overheats. Before you know it a rod can come through the side of the block. If you replace or rebuild these pumps say every 3-4 years, keep the O2 sensor cleaned, and occasionally run some ring free, it is a darn good engine. A friend bought (cheap) a failing one of these to me, the crank, rod, and piston had to be replaced to fix the damage caused by a bad pump diaphragm as well as boring the cylinder oversize. The failing rod bearing debris scored the cylinder wall on that cylinder quite badly. I made blockoff plates for the pumps and he runs it with a regulated electric pump (his choice).

10. Member
    I will second the lift pumps are an issue. I end up changing them at least once a year. Going to go with the electric pump option as I am sick of dealing with them. I always use the Sierra rebuild kits which I last found on Amazon for $13 each which is a lot cheaper than buying the complete Yamaha pumps. It is still a hassle I would prefer not to deal with anymore.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    I will second the lift pumps are an issue. I end up changing them at least once a year. Going to go with the electric pump option as I am sick of dealing with them. I always use the Sierra rebuild kits which I last found on Amazon for $13 each which is a lot cheaper than buying the complete Yamaha pumps. It is still a hassle I would prefer not to deal with anymore.
    Just curious what sort of electric option you plan to use? I am interested in doing the same thing. Already have the oil mixing pump deleted, might as well change the two fuel pumps too... LOL 1999 P200TLRX

12. Member

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    Just curious what sort of electric option you plan to use? I am interested in doing the same thing. Already have the oil mixing pump deleted, might as well change the two fuel pumps too... LOL 1999 P200TLRX
    Holley red pump works great. Why would you want to delete the oil injection? Is there something wrong with it? That system is one of if not the most reliable out there. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.