Thread: Refrig. advice?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    We bought a Kenmore Elite several years ago. It is sooooo noisy. Ice maker works great, dispenser sucks. Water dispenser sucks. However, it does keep items cold and very frozen.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
    I have a Subzero that is 30 yrs old. I’ve owned it for 20 of those yrs and the only thing I have had to do was door gaskets and a control panel. Total cost of around $300. If you can swing the initial expense, they are well worth it.
    Yes I know of a Subzero that is well over 30 years old. They are proud of them!

3. Member
    Problem solved with ice makers: I haven't hooked an ice maker up on any of my refrigerators in years. I do the ice in trays and keep the cubes in an ice bucket. To each his own.

4. Member
    Whirpool is typically pretty solid stuff. Pay the bit extra and buy from your local appliance store. When things go wrong because they always do with the new appliances it's much easier to go through them for help then dealing with the big box store process.

5. Member
    We have a Whirlpool side by side for the garage fridge, about 15 years old and working fine. Granted we have never hooked up the ice maker since it was in the garage and no water line nearby to tap into.

Bought a scratch and dent KitchenAid french door, nothing but issues and only got 5 years out of it before it was retired. Very disappointing for sure.

Replace that with an LG, 3 flawless years so far.

6. Member
    Our first Lg was nothing but a piece of crap. They replaced it under warranty. Not Lg, the store we got it from. Only stipulation was we had to get the same brand again. This one has been great going on 15 years. Only problem was ice maker no longer works. Simple fix unhook it and move on. Wont buy another Lg though.

7. Member
    Do the Big Box stores contract appliance's to specs like lawn equipment?

8. Member
    Whirlpool, no Samsung. They bought mine back as it was a giant square turd. Have as few widgets and gadgets as possible and run with it with fingers crossed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Do the Big Box stores contract appliance's to specs like lawn equipment?
    They probably do the same thing electronics stores used to do, exact same product just a different model number so they can avoid their price match guarantees. I learned all about it when I worked at Best Buy, those Infinity tower speakers, exact same components and specs, just a different sticker on the back/box with the model. And of course, marked up as a "Best Buy Exclusive" item.

10. Member
    Well now I've learned a normal Fridge shuts down in a unheated garage in the extreme winter cold.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Well now I've learned a normal Fridge shuts down in a unheated garage in the extreme winter cold.
    Of course it shuts down. It’s cold inside!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Our first Lg was nothing but a piece of crap. They replaced it under warranty. Not Lg, the store we got it from. Only stipulation was we had to get the same brand again. This one has been great going on 15 years. Only problem was ice maker no longer works. Simple fix unhook it and move on. Wont buy another Lg though.
    easy to fix these I just fixed ours check out you tube for videos
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Of course it shuts down. It’s cold inside!
    Then why is the Ice Cream melted? I read up on it and they make "garage ready" refrig,s and some they have a kit to install.

We have a 2009 Samsung French door refrigerator that’s been mostly trouble free. I’ve replaced the water dispenser lever twice, and a plastic guard on the ice maker mechanism. Found the parts online easily, and replaced them myself. I roll it out once a year and thoroughly clean the coils underneath and the drip pan. Been quiet and dependable since day one, and make a ton of ice.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Then why is the Ice Cream melted? I read up on it and they make "garage ready" refrig,s and some they have a kit to install.
    You have to understand how refrigerator freezers work. The thermostat is in the refrigerator. Compressor shuts down when the refrigerator gets cold. Below 40 the thing won’t run, so the freezer gets warmer than it should. A little heat like a light bulb in the refrigerator will make it run.
    nothing else matters.​

16. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Whirlpool or GE,,,, and don't get one that butters your toast and you can watch TV on,,

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    When it comes to appliances I stick with companies that have been making them for years and have a good reputation. We bought all GE for our kitchen when we remolded in 2009 and they have been great.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You have to understand how refrigerator freezers work. The thermostat is in the refrigerator. Compressor shuts down when the refrigerator gets cold. Below 40 the thing won’t run, so the freezer gets warmer than it should. A little heat like a light bulb in the refrigerator will make it run.
    This is some garage heater kits available. Some come with this and are listed as "garage ready" https://www.amazon.com/s?k=garage+re...sl_x07hgihs6_e

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    When it comes to appliances I stick with companies that have been making them for years and have a good reputation. We bought all GE for our kitchen when we remolded in 2009 and they have been great.
    GE is no longer the company you bought from. It is now owned by the Chinese government. Their products now require connection to a Chinese operated site for smart home control, and the company has been caught selling products with malware pre-installed. The company has really only been serious about refrigerators for about 25 years.
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    Samsung
    NO, NO, NO....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast