Outboard and Cold Weather Storage

We’ve had some unusually cold temps here in the south lately, high teens low 20’s. I store my boat inside a fully enclosed non-insulated metal shed. I trimmed my motor down fully to let all of the water drain out, but have since read to also disconnect the motor flush port. I didn’t read this until after our latest freeze, do I have to worry about any water having been left trapped by not disconnecting the flush port? Hoping I didn’t cause any issues by not doing this…..

2. Member
    I've been trimming them down fully (for 60 seconds), and it's worked for close to 40 years up here in the Frozen Shithole of Hoth. I jack the trailer up all the way to be certain that the livewell plumbing is clear (RV antifreeze is an option).

3. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    My boat is stored in a non insulated metal building as well. Of course being in SE GA we rarely have to worry about anything. When I know we are having a couple of days of extremely cold (for us anyhow) below freezing temps, I make sure batteries are at full charge and day before or morning before bottom falls out I plug in a small ceramic heater and put it on floor about 2 ft from the lower unit angles towards the plug. Set it on 60 to keep the temps above freezing.

I normally leave it trimmed down during the cold weather. Most of my boats were stored in non insulated garage's, and never had an issue.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I store my boat outside under double covers , I trimmed it down and have a T in my water pressure line to drain that . Make sure the trailer if lifted in the front so any would drain rearward and have never had a problem and I don’t winterize it either , never know when a warm spell can come through. Been doing this for close to 30 yrs with no problem keep batteries fully charged and I change the lower end fluid late in the year to make sure no water is in it .
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Member
    Like mention above.
    Outboards are designed to drain by them self.
    If storage tilted all the way down.

7. Member
    Owned a boat non-stop for the past 23 years. Seen temps as low as 2 degrees (stupid winter). I always make sure at the ramp and lower, raise the motor 2x. Then when I get home, I lower it and keep it lowered when not using. Never had an issue.

I make sure the livewells are left open when I leave the ramp.

8. Member
    Nothing to worry about. Mine has stayed in unheated garages for basically ever. Now it sits on my lift at the lake. Trim it down and you’re good to go. Friends in Canada pull their boats up on the island, throw a shrink wrap around the boat/motor and see ya in spring.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    They will be fine come spring....lmao
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Member
    My boat is stored completely outside. I got it winterized, put a boat cover on, trim the outboard all the way down, jack the trailer all the way up, drainplug and live well plugs out. Hope for the best count down the days till march. I clear all snow off the cover as it falls
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (90,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramos26 View Post
    My boat is stored completely outside. I got it winterized, put a boat cover on, trim the outboard all the way down, jack the trailer all the way up, drainplug and live well plugs out. Hope for the best count down the days till march. I clear all snow off the cover as it falls
    You will be fine, been doing the same thing for years