Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who sharpens their hooks?

Reading the other hook thread got me to thinking. I bet that I haven't sharpened a hook in over 20 years. I just replace them. I don't think I can put a sharper point on one than what they come with plus I think it weakens them a bit so I just replace as needed.I don't even carry a file in my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Reading the other hook thread got je to thinking. I can say that I haven't sharpened a hook in over 20 years. I just replace them. I don't think I can put a sharper point on one than what they come with us I think it weakens them a bit so I just replace as needed.I don't even carry a file in my boat.
    NO
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Seems like you were able to sharpen the older hooks back in the day but not now usually just replace with a new one.

4. Member
    Used to but it seems like a waste of time. Every time I would sharpen a hook the point would roll shortly after and I would have to throw it away.
    John the Garage Doorman

5. Member
    Provided its a descent hook I dont think anyone has the ability to do better by hand than what they come. Also factor in the coatings etc which will be removed I cant think its a good idea. Plus im just lazy and would just grab another.

6. Member
    So, you replace all your trebles on your crank baits when they get dull?

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    Seems like you were able to sharpen the older hooks back in the day but not now usually just replace with a new one.

Yep. With so many of the new ones it seems trying to sharpen them does little good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    So, you replace all your trebles on your crank baits when they get dull?

Yep. Trebles are cheap. I buy in bulk and keep a bunch handy. I can swap them out quicker than I can sharpen.

9. Member
    I sharpen hooks on things like jigs and spinnerbaits. Texas rigs and hard baits with trebles get replaced when dull.

Yes, on spinnerbaits........ Removable hooks, no, I replace.

11. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I sharpen all but trebles. Just a couple swipes with my stone and my flipping hook is sharp as ever

Dale Sinclair original

While I can't replicate a chemically sharpened hook, I can certainly touch up one in the boat with my EZ-Lap. I can get them sharp enough to dig into my thumbnail with no pressure which is my benchmark for a suitable hook.
    Ranting incoherently

I buy the super sharp hooks like everyone else does. But, if I get a burr on the tip, I’ll knock it off with a file. No harm, no foul. If I have to actually sharpen the hook, I’ll put it in my practice day box and only use it on tournament practice day or fun fishing.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Yep, spinnerbaits and jigs. Just wish it didn’t take so long go replace trebles. I have a split ring opening deficiency.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Reading the other hook thread got me to thinking. I bet that I haven't sharpened a hook in over 20 years. I just replace them. I don't think I can put a sharper point on one than what they come with plus I think it weakens them a bit so I just replace as needed.I don't even carry a file in my boat.
    Same here.

16. Member
    I constantly check my hooks and sharpen them if needed, except on trebles. Those get replaced.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I sharpen single hooks on Ned rigs as they take a lot of abuse. Trebles I’ve begun to replace on a regular basis (didn’t use to) on crank baits but for top water baits I will more likely sharpen instead of replace.

Depends on what I did to it but I definitely will sharpen treble hooks
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

No just jerk harder or replace

Spinner baits and buzz baits yes. Especially buzz baits, once they get good and broken in I don't want to replace them if the hook gets dulled.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast