Need Snow Blower Repair ASAP....HELP

Need help as I have to repair this 42 year old 7/24 Toro Snow blower. It will not stay in any forward or reverse gears unless I hold the shift handle. I'm thinking a tension spring might have broke in the trany area. It's about 15 degrees in my detached garage and need to make short order of this. With arthritis in my hands the cold is very tough on me now.

Anyone tackle this problem ?

LOTS MORE Snow coming tomorrow (20-30") so this is a #1 priority right now.

2. BBC SPONSOR

3. Member
    Don't know nothing about a snow blower. Maybe use a bungee cord to hold in gear. You are going to have a hard time finding a shop to repair.

4. BBC SPONSOR

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Hopefully one of these will help.

6. BBC SPONSOR

I have the exact same TORO blower as in the 1st video and every year I remove those same panels and clean and lube everything that moves. Easily done and after 14 years my machine still runs perfectly and starts on the 1st pull nearly every time. A bit of maintenance goes a long ways.

8. Member
    Lots of great videos you posted, however shifting is not my problem, it's keeping it in whatever gear you choose. So I found a broken tension spring and went to 2 places and found a spring close but still no cigar but I'm going to try to shorten it and it will have to do I HOPE. Installing t will my next challenge. So Ya Here We Go ! ! !

9. Member
    I love winter, love the snow, always have, but little compares to the hate I have for doing auto or snowblower repairs in it. Once the cold burn gets it my hands, minutes feel like hours.

10. Member
    Mission accomplished. It’s holding in gear better than it has for years. $7.19 plus NYS tax so $12.75….lol