Mega Live mounting preferences?

Ok, we have had mega live for awhile now.
    So, I have had mega live on trolling motor and now a rite-hite turret. Now that I have made it through a complete year with a rite-hite, I must say I'm spoiled by it.
    I have talked with several guys with battle ship mounts, some home designed, and others with target lock. The major consensus is they love it in 10 FOW, and lose favor in shallow water. And forget about getting in the weeds and moss. So I have been helping a friend update his rig.
    He has been researching and wants to update his rig with an Ultrex, Helix 10 & 9 and will add mega live then M360.
    So target lock would be a option but thinks he would mount mega live on Tm then add target lock and M360.
    Any thoughts on which way he should move? Not to forget about the new gas cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Ok, we have had mega live for awhile now.
    So, I have had mega live on trolling motor and now a rite-hite turret. Now that I have made it through a complete year with a rite-hite, I must say I'm spoiled by it.
    I have talked with several guys with battle ship mounts, some home designed, and others with target lock. The major consensus is they love it in 10 FOW, and lose favor in shallow water. And forget about getting in the weeds and moss. So I have been helping a friend update his rig.
    He has been researching and wants to update his rig with an Ultrex, Helix 10 & 9 and will add mega live then M360.
    So target lock would be a option but thinks he would mount mega live on Tm then add target lock and M360.
    Any thoughts on which way he should move? Not to forget about the new gas cylinders.
    Explain that progression.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Add mega live, then add target lock and then m360. That's a $4600 add on after spending close to 7K
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 01-14-2024 at 06:34 PM.

Add mega live, then add target lock and then m360
    It would depend on the waters fished, the target species, and the typical presentations.

If the purchases are individual at different times I would choose the MEGA 360 first, then add MEGA LIVE later, and then later the Target Lock.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

What I see with pro's boat rigging is even if the FFS is Garmin or Lowrance and the trolling motor is another brand, a MEGA 360 is also involved.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I was shocked to see Otts new rig and he is not even running targetlock. This completely shocked me
    Nitro z21

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I was shocked to see Otts new rig and he is not even running targetlock. This completely shocked me
    I just watched Ott's video of his new boat. He's got Target Lock but its not on the boat because he doesn't think he'll need it for his first tournament.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I don't think I would use live much without target lock. I had the unit mounted to my trolling motor shaft when I first got it and it was a lot of aggravation to stay on target and fish effectively. Just the way we like to fish and the waters were on I guess but the target lock is definitely nice.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    It would depend on the waters fished, the target species, and the typical presentations.

If the purchases are individual at different times I would choose the MEGA 360 first, then add MEGA LIVE later, and then later the Target Lock.
    Totally agree with this for most people. I love my Mega Live, but I love my Mega 360 "more better"
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    This is exactly what the question was. Different setups. The pro's have someone to rig and unrig their boats. (The highly sponsored ones) I prefer mega live, lots of folks on here love their m360. So what other setups do some of you use?

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    This is exactly what the question was. Different setups. The pro's have someone to rig and unrig their boats. (The highly sponsored ones) I prefer mega live, lots of folks on here love their m360. So what other setups do some of you use?
    I have both my Mega Live and Mega 360 on separate Fishing Specialties pole mounts. Very sturdy, well engineered, and a large variety of mounting location options available.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have Mega Live, Target Lock, M360 and Livescope (yes my Ultrex is heavy.....). I'm not a "pro" and I rig all my stuff.

The waters I fish almost exclusively are the St Lawrence River (not Lake Ontario), Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend,

On the St Lawrence, I would never go without M360 and in many sections of the river the currents make it very hard to fish with FFS of any type when mounted on the TM. If Target Lock didn't exist, I would not use FFS on most of the St Lawrence. The St Lawrence is about the rocks and they are easier to see and find with M360. You'll know very quickly whether or not there are fish on a specific rock or rockpile just by casting at it.

On Rayburn/Toledo, I take the M360 off because there is a lot of fishing in hydrilla and open water chasing shad schools around. M360 is not as useful for me as FFS so I lighten the Ultrex. One day I'll spend some time with landscape mode but it is not a replacement for the awesomeness that is M360.

In the spring I'll be getting the new Ultrex mount or a Quest.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 01-15-2024 at 05:29 PM.

13. Member
    That's Interesting BoatBuggy, I have never heard anyone say using a ffs in a river was hard. I can see where target lock would solve the ffs on TM. Current is always a witch..

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    That's Interesting BoatBuggy, I have never heard anyone say using a ffs in a river was hard. I can see where target lock would solve the ffs on TM. Current is always a witch..
    When the current is 2+ MPH and there's not many places to hide it's hard to do much of anything on a trolling motor..... It's why drifting on the St Lawrence is so popular. FFS is awesome if you are out near Lake Ontario where the river is wider, the islands are bigger and current isn't al that bad - it's the winds that'll get you out there and wind is another great reason for Target Lock. I suspect Oklahomans know a little bit about wind.