A question for you all on Drivers

So Have a question for you all good players.
    For a beginner would I be better off to start with a driver that has more loft? like 11 degree or 12 degree?
    Have watched some videos and a few have talked about having a driver with more loft to make it a bit eaiser to get the ball up in the air.
    Wanted to get your alls thoughts

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    It all depends on your swing speed, shaft profile, and launch conditions to be honest. I'd look for a driver with loft adjustability. That at least gives you options and I'd go with a 9 degree and adjust it up as needed.

3. Member
    Get fitted Luke, let a pro get you setup properly for your swing.

Most, if not all drivers now are adjustable. However, many variables determine the loft you need. Common rule of thumb, slower swing speeds need higher loft and more ball spin, the opposite is true for higher swing speeds. The best thing to do is get on a launch monitor and see the data. You have a golf galaxy or other type of golf store near you? If so, you can rent a bay with a launch monitor fairly cheap. As mean dean said, a fitting would be the best.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

I can understand the fitting.
    But right now at this beginning am I going to really get a huge amount out of that?
    I can see it for guys that have played for a while, but in the start? Is it really worth it?

6. Member
    Yes, on the fitting. Better to spend some money on proper equipment fitting than to spend on several different clubs trying to find the right fit on your own IMO.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

If you are a beginner do not bother with fitted clubs until you have played a year or two.

Go down to Golf World, Dick's, etc. and find a two year old driver on sale for half of what it used to be priced.

No use spending a lot of money out of the gate to find out you really do not like the game or just suck like most of us no matter what clubs you use.

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    No, don't waste the money on getting fit at this time.

Let me expand on this: a beginning golfer isn't able to deliver the club contestant enough for a fitting to be worthwhile and good fitter wouldn't take your money because of this. Spend any money would waste on a fitting on getting a lesson.
    Last edited by Rebel1; 01-18-2024 at 01:05 PM.

For starting out, I wouldn't recommend a fitting because your swing will not be consistent enough to provide adequate numbers. I'd try to find a good used driver at Dicks, etc. There are certain brands & models that are generally more forgiving than others and that should be the first thing you look for. I'd stay away from Titleist & TaylorMade, maybe look Ping G425 or some of the 3-4 year old Callaways.

The second thing you need to look at is the shaft. There's a ton of factors that play into shafts, but if your swing is moderate to fast get something with a stiff shaft and something with a red label. Red label shafts generally have higher loft & higher spin which will be more forgiving in a developing swing. Blue label shafts can be fine too if you're producing a consistent swing. Stay away from black & white label shafts as they are low launching, low spinning drivers and suit better for skilled players with very fast swing speeds.

Something that a lot of people don't take into consideration is shaft length as well. Unless you're really tall, a shorter shaft length will help you find more fairways and keep your drives straighter.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Appears you are 45 and I am going to assume in reasonable health/condition, average height. Go on FB marketplace and pick up a 2 YO (last years model) used, adjustable driver, 10 degrees, stiff shaft. Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, Cobra, etc. Really does not matter as they are all great and the EASIEST club in the bag to hit. Do not go down the rabbit hole of various shaft types at this stage.

Let 'r rip...
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

11. Member
    More loft is easier to hit. But true length is a combo platter of shaft, swing speed, and path. If you want more loft, and more speed, look at one of the manufacturers that make a mini driver. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Appears you are 45 and I am going to assume in reasonable health/condition, average height. Go on FB marketplace and pick up a 2 YO (last years model) used, adjustable driver, 10 degrees, stiff shaft. Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, Cobra, etc. Really does not matter as they are all great and the EASIEST club in the bag to hit. Do not go down the rabbit hole of various shaft types at this stage.

Let 'r rip...
    If he gets a low launching, low spinning shaft he’s gonna spray the ball everywhere, more than likely way right assuming he is right handed.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    If he gets a low launching, low spinning shaft he’s gonna spray the ball everywhere, more than likely way right assuming he is right handed.
    No way of knowing w/ out his SS, path, angle of attack, and a + would be video

I made a lot of assumptions with respect to a typical middle aged male SS. Most used drivers he finds on FB will have stock shafts, which is just fine (likely preferred) for 99.99% of double digit HC's. OP is a beginner, so assuming he's in that category.

If not, he can chime in with more info and we can try to better help
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

14. Ryan_8
    In general yes, a higher loft will be better for beginners. The ball will launch higher. You will sacrifice distance but will be more forgiving.

15. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    My new Callaway Paradym AI Tripe Diamond should be here any day now.

16. Member
    Triple D, damn son

I have last year's triple D 3-wood in the bag. It's a missile off the tee.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    My new Callaway Paradym AI Tripe Diamond should be here any day now.
    I have the same. It’s a rocket

18. Member
    Shaft is more important than degree of driver