Engine Adjustments When Using Lithium Batteries

I posted this question on the Bass Cat Owners page, but received no answers. I am hoping someone on this page may be able to educate me a bit. I keep hearing that when using lithium batteries instead of AGM's that you have to drop your engine height to recover some performance because of the weight reduction in the bilge area. I have on order a 2024 Puma that should soon be delivered and will be equipped with the standard AGM starting battery for the Mercury, a Pro Guide Starting 100 amp 12 volt lithium battery for electronics, and a Pro Guide 36 volt 50 amp trolling motor battery. When the AGM dies I may use the lithium 100 amp starting battery for starting and all electronics. Also the motor is equipped with a 300 Mercury Pro XS spinning a 24 Fury three blade prop with an eight inch Bob's hydraulic jackplate. Electronics will consist of two Lowrance Pro 12 inch graphs on the bow with Active Target and one Lowrance 12 inch pro graph in the console. Finally, the boat will be equipped with a Lowrance Ghost 36 volt trolling motor. Will the Bob's hydraulic jackplate sufficiently lower the Mercury for maximum performance, or should I ask BassCat to install the Mercury a bit lower for maximum performance? I have never used Lithium batteries before.

For those that own Puma STS boats using lithium batteries, are you happy with the performance using lithiums? Many people have suggested I just use AGM batteries for everything and report that the performance is much better with AGM's instead of lithiums. With my electronics though, I think I need at minimum a lithium house battery. This battery issue has me confused and is my only area of uncertainty about the new boat order. This is my retirement boat and the last new boat I will probably ever own. Thank you in advance for any assistance that you may provide.

Corky

2. Member
    I ordered my Puma STS with lithium for trolling motor and AGM for crank. It also has Power Poles and a Merc 250 with Atlas jackplate.

I switched all of the batteries. I'm now running two lithium 36v in parallel for trolling motor and two lithium 12v in parallel for crank/electronics.

I've got two 12's and a 9 on the bow and two 12's at the console.

The Fury 24 that came with the boat had horrible hole shot with this setup when I was loaded for normal fishing. I switched to a Bravo 4 25 and hole shot is excellent. I give up see top end speed, but I'm ok with that.

The jack plate was enough adjustment. There was no need to have it mounted at a different height.

I top out at 73mph when it's just me in the boat with a half tank.

Add a second angler and fill up the take and live wells and it tops out around 71.5 mph.

That seems slow for a BassCat, but there's a lot of weight on the bow with three graphs, three heavy duty gimbsals and a large mounting plate for all three graphs.

I miss the speed of my Coygar FTD, but would much rather have the wider deck of the Ouma STS.
    Last edited by TNReb; 01-14-2024 at 10:09 AM.
    2023 Puma STS

I have a 24 puma 300xs with graphs and power poles running all lithium. Stock 24 fury 3 currently. No need to have the factory mount engine lower than normal. Depending on fuel load/live well my boat likes 1-2.5 on bobs plate for best running on pad +top end.
    I had a 22 Jaguar and ran a traditional battery set up for a while then switched to lithiums. I had to go down 1/2 to 1 number lower on the bobs plate once the rear end lost the weight just as an example. If you have any other questions pm me and I’ll give you my number. I’m happy to discuss. I’ve had a lot of boats and so far this one is one of, if not my favorite yet. I think you’ll really like it.
    Last edited by white gambler; 01-14-2024 at 03:24 PM.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Member
    White Gambler: I sent you a message with my phone number and I look forward to speaking with you. Thanks.

Corky

5. Member
    Corky- I have almost the exact same set up only I have 8’ Raptors on the back. I’m running 4 pro guide Lithiums with ghost set to 24v so that my 4th battery is dedicated to Electronics. No need to have the motor lowered on the boat as the Jackplate will go low enough. I’m running a 25 Fury 3 blade and getting great results. Lots of variables in motor, prop, and hull so there not on size fits all solution. The common key with performance boats is keeping weight towards the rear as far as gear goes. All of my heavy stuff, plastics, weights, etc are under or behind seats. Still have hard baits, hooks, and 40 or so rods up fronts. I’ve seen 81.5 solo and routinely see 78 by myself with live wells full. Add another guy and subtract 3mph. Holeshot is sub 3 sec with livewells full.

6. Member
    Limbhanger: Thank you very much for the information. Sounds like I am just worrying myself over nothing. I have never used Lithiums before and my last new boat was 13 years ago. I knew how to use electronics and batteries on my old boat, but there has been a world of change in equipment, motors, and boats since I purchased my last new boat. I am very excited about the new Bass Cat. Are you happy with the 300, or do you wish you had purchased the 250? My friends give me a tough time about ordering the 300, but it is probably my last new boat, I wanted a 300, and I ordered it. They all say I will be unable to fish BASS tournaments, but I figured out many years ago that it is doubtful that I will ever qualify for the Bass Master's Classic. I am now 67 years old and this is my retirement boat and the boat I wanted to have my whole life. I appreciate your assistance and information.

Corky

7. Member
    so far the biggest thing i have noticed is where the weight is definitely matters in the STS. For example, if it is just me, i keep the left tank full almost exclusively and run out of the right.

another thing i have noticed is keep the jigs and heavy stuff in the passenger compartment behind the seats. so jigs, weights etc goes back there.

Rick talks about not overtrimming to early -- this i can attest to for sure. Also i find while i dont bury the jp, i found best for me with the above scenario is 73 w/a 23 Fury and JP about 2(bobs). I think I can run a 24 fury too.

Also plenty of guys, crews for example have had it to 76 on video so speed is there. Will it be as fast as a cougar? I cannot speak to from experience, but I think it is plenty fast. One of our members has had it to 80 on video.

I think it will be fast IMO.
    Last edited by caddyjoe77; 01-16-2024 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling -- DOH!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
    Limbhanger: Thank you very much for the information. Sounds like I am just worrying myself over nothing. I have never used Lithiums before and my last new boat was 13 years ago. I knew how to use electronics and batteries on my old boat, but there has been a world of change in equipment, motors, and boats since I purchased my last new boat. I am very excited about the new Bass Cat. Are you happy with the 300, or do you wish you had purchased the 250? My friends give me a tough time about ordering the 300, but it is probably my last new boat, I wanted a 300, and I ordered it. They all say I will be unable to fish BASS tournaments, but I figured out many years ago that it is doubtful that I will ever qualify for the Bass Master's Classic. I am now 67 years old and this is my retirement boat and the boat I wanted to have my whole life. I appreciate your assistance and information.

Corky
    you’re gonna love it! Which dealer are you buying from?

9. Member
    I am purchasing the boat from Josh Brown at Texas Boat World in Harker Heights, Texas close to Lakes Belton and Stillhouse Hollow. He has been incredible in all areas of the order. I just can not wait to get the boat!!!!

I got the merc 300 24 fury with three lithium for tm and one 31 agm for crank and electronics. Hole shot good I run the bob jp up to 3 and as it breaks over lower it down to 1.5.
    I have played some while on pad jp at 3 then start lowering it. When it got to 1.5 you could feel the boat lift and smooth out. You'll have to play with
    JP and trim to see when steering is good