5th Battery or Lithium Starting to do everything?

Hey guys, I have a 2019 cougar with merc 250 pro xs v8 and I'm currently running 3 lithium TM batteries and a large AGM cranking battery that power all accessories, 3 hds 9's and active target with no issued supported by a power pole charge system. I think my cranking battery is loosing some punch, full charge only 12.55v so I'm thinking I will need an upgreade. As of right now the back of the boat is full with all 3 lithiums on port side, and massively agm on starboard side plus raptor pumps. My options are upgrade to 100ah lithium starter to replace the agm and run everything or add a 100ah lithium to run the accessories. If I go this route where to I put the 5th battery? What are others doing with same cougar ? Do I build a bridge?

thx all

2. Member
    You may need a bridge if you're adding a 5th battery.

Just a heads up - that can make it very aggravating to access your bilge pumps if one goes out.

Another possible option is to turn the trays sideways. (I'm not sure if this can be done with the BassCat trays) Iaconelli did this in one of his BassCats a while back and he actually had 6 batteries back there. I'm not sure if he had to switch to individual trays for each battery or what. I know he was running Pro Guide batteries at the time, but I'm not sure what size batteries he was using.
    2023 Puma STS

3. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    At one time I ran 3 12” graphs up front (livescope/360/maps) and a 15 at the console. This was on my old champ and I never had an issue with the 125ah ionic battery. Motor was a 250xs.

Currently running a solix 12 and Garmin 12 up front and a solix 15 on the console.
    Same battery with zero issues. It should handle all your needing to do.

I swapped batteries to the Eyra I bought last year.
    300xs motor
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    You may need a bridge if you're adding a 5th battery.

Just a heads up - that can make it very aggravating to access your bilge pumps if one goes out.

Another possible option is to turn the trays sideways. (I'm not sure if this can be done with the BassCat trays) Iaconelli did this in one of his BassCats a while back and he actually had 6 batteries back there. I'm not sure if he had to switch to individual trays for each battery or what. I know he was running Pro Guide batteries at the time, but I'm not sure what size batteries he was using.
    im thinking of bridging a lithium, I'll have to remove to get to the pumps an extra step I guess. I. Not going to be doing any repairs on the water anyways.

Ionic 125
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

6. Member
    I'm shopping around and there are several "amazon" lithiums that get great reviews from reputable critics. A few off a 100ah mini battery. I was thinking I cout mount this battery in front starboard side road locker right at the back. The cougar has a deep pocket. Then from there Dunn dedicated wiring to hds 12 at console and 2 hds 9's up from and AT box. Thought on this ? Is the battery ok up front in this location

Sorry we didn’t comment on your post, we were waiting other comments and opinions for learning how others think. We have commented on it this morning and have our answer there.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Sorry we didn’t comment on your post, we were waiting other comments and opinions for learning how others think. We have commented on it this morning and have our answer there.
    Sorry where can I find your response ?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Sorry this thread seems to be about engine height and such....

anyways, I have lack of space in my cougar so I may pick up a 100ah mini and mount it in the box behind the driver. Anyone see an issue with this ???

PHL has a great option for adding a 5th battery with run & gun that doesn't create a situation where you have to add a stand alone charger and plus in multiple chargers every night

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HellaBass View Post
    PHL has a great option for adding a 5th battery with run & gun that doesn't create a situation where you have to add a stand alone charger and plus in multiple chargers every night
    i have a power pole charge... plus this system is gonna run me over $1000 and I still have to find a place to add that battery and another charger. I can add an amazon lithium for under $400. And I still