2002 Kill Switch Operation

I got new to me 2002 optimax on a Ranger boat. Thing is, there isn't a kill switch on it. Actually, there might be one, I'm not sure.. The previous owner is unaware of there ever being one in place.
    Anyway, in the pic below, underneath the key slot, there's a switch with a cover over it. I'm presuming that's the kill switch? All the KS that I've used before were the little horseshoe clip and the engine wouldn't operate without it being in place.. Since there doesn't appear to be any kind of clip in place, yet the engine runs just fine, should I presume it was disconnected at some point?
    As always, thanks for any help..

killswitch.jpeg

2. Member
    as long as switch is flipped up it will run fine lanyard is to be hooked to you for switch operation in case of accident
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And if you note the small slot in the top of the plastic switch cover- you can push the switch DOWN with the key, hook the lanyard loop over the toggle, then push the toggle back UP (to the run position).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    FYI. It's now PA law you must have lanyard attached to you. Weather you chose to or not is up to you ,but I at least would have it in place if you get checked.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    And if you note the small slot in the top of the plastic switch cover- you can push the switch DOWN with the key, hook the lanyard loop over the toggle, then push the toggle back UP (to the run position).
    Ah.. OK, that's starting to make sense..

Thanks all! I don't really care that much about the legal requirements, but generally I'm a fan of a device that might prevent me from being run over by my own boat...

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actually been part of the Federal Safety Requirements since 1986 (at least required that it be equipped with one).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor