Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

more conflicting info on EV's

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...rs/ar-AA1mObRb

Hertz is going to sell a bunch and go back to gas power per this article. They cite HIGHER REPAIR COSTS (many here feel EV's are much lower in repair costs) and lack of demand to rent EV's.

You may be able to snag a used EV from Hertz if you're in that market?

2. Member
    ________
    $8

3. Member
    The article mentions slumping sales of EV's in general. I wonder if that's due more to the high costs and car loan rates or whether a lot of the people interested in buying an EV have already done so.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    There's no way to sugar coat it, it's a black eye in the EV transition. The CEO was on CNBC and explained it as there was a few reasons.

The CEO stated they were ahead of the curve, too far ahead. They had too many EVs for the people who wanted them. Many people don't want to deal with the stress of learning how to drive and charge an EV while dealing with the stress of traveling.

An accounting issue arised because of when they bought the Teslas. They bought the cars, then Tesla started cutting prices causing the value of Hertzs cars and everyone elses to plummet. It was an issue on the books.

They also had issues with repairs and maintenance. Becuase of the lack of service centers, and lack of parts, it was taking too long to repair and maintain.
    Thanos was the hero

5. Member
    It would take a month to get one home if you lived a a thousand miles or so from where they were selling them, especially this time of year. I have recently driven from San Antonio to Kansas City and can't remember seeing one charging station.

6. Member
    Those cars have been ragged to hell and back. They have 80k miles on them. Surprised the price is not Hertz paying people to take them, of which I still wouldn’t own one right now.
    Joey Aderhold

Buying a rental car would be akin to marrying a prostitute. Lot of HARD miles on that odometer!

8. Member
    Made me think of my friend in the 1980’s who bought a Crown Vic from the Police auction,lots of hard miles
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    Buying a rental car would be akin to marrying a prostitute. Lot of HARD miles on that odometer!
    But think of the things she could teach you

Lots of videos and info flying around about the auto industry as a whole not just EV. Car lots are piling up and places like carmax have finally started dropping prices some. Must not be too bad yet however as I have test drove two vehicles in the past month. Got back and told the sales guys to call me with their best out the door price without financing and I am yet to hear from either one Guess I look like a chump who can't afford them or something.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    The article mentions slumping sales of EV's in general. I wonder if that's due more to the high costs and car loan rates or whether a lot of the people interested in buying an EV have already done so.

Are overall sales down on ICE vehicles? I don't know the answer to that but I would think for the reasons you listed there would be a decline in ICE sales too.

And GM is engineering a new Gas engine while we speak.

12. Member
    I bought a used Xterra from a rental place one time to use on the farm. It was a good little SUV. I don't know enough about the Tesla to know how a rental fleet would harm one?

EV only is not the long term answer, some type of hybrid might be.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Are overall sales down on ICE vehicles? I don't know the answer to that but I would think for the reasons you listed there would be a decline in ICE sales too.
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...s-in-2023.html
    Ford sales were up 7.1 percent year over year and EV sales for Ford set a record for 2023.....December sales were solid for EVs but that probably had alot to do with rebates....EV sales were up +18 percent for the year..
    You kind of have to take that data with a grain of salt though because of vendor and supply issues from 2020, 2021 and 2022 and EVs are just coming out of the Plants for Ford in decent numbers.......Like anything else it is all how someone wants to twist the data...

I'm buying my wife a new car this year and I'm betting that interest rates will drop some and the automakers may be forced into some good rebates on certain models...So we are waiting a bit to pull the trigger..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...s-in-2023.html
    Ford sales were up 7.1 percent year over year and EV sales for Ford set a record for 2023.....December sales were solid for EVs but that probably had alot to do with rebates....EV sales were up +18 percent for the year..
    You kind of have to take that data with a grain of salt though because of vendor and supply issues from 2020, 2021 and 2022 and EVs are just coming out of the Plants for Ford in decent numbers.......Like anything else it is all how someone wants to twist the data...

I'm buying my wife a new car this year and I'm betting that interest rates will drop some and the automakers may be forced into some good rebates on certain models...So we are waiting a bit to pull the trigger..

I don't really buy into the record sales of EVs. If yiu start at zero then every subsequent quarter and year will be " record setting". In other words if you sold 3 last year then you sell 4 this year is it really a true record?

16. Member
    What you seldom hear is that the EV’s just don’t hold their charge. I know, living here in n/w Montana. I’ve spoken to multiple folks up here that have them. They all told me the same thing. They park them in the garage during winter months. And we have like 1 public charging station… not gonna cut it up here.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I don't really buy into the record sales of EVs. If yiu start at zero then every subsequent quarter and year will be " record setting". In other words if you sold 3 last year then you sell 4 this year is it really a true record?
    Exactly, it's all relative.

Just bought a new small ICE SUV. EV was not even a consideration. I don't want the range anxiety. Maiden voyage with the new SUV was 1300 miles in 2 days, driving 10 hrs a day. Probably would have had to tack on another day in an EV and a ton of plotting for charge stations. No thank you.

18. Member
    Today's news, just for some info on the subject. https://www.inc.com/associated-press...g-network.html

19. Member
    It's pretty simple. People don't like inconvenience.
    Plugging in and having that designated stop? It's a problem that can't be resolved in the amount of time that to many people think that it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    And GM is engineering a new Gas engine while we speak.
    Same as Evinrude coming out with the G2 when everyone was else moving to 4s.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast