Thread: Fishtips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

Fishtips?

I started posting tips on www.fishtips.com, and so far it seems to be a pretty cool platform.

I get some awesome feedback and am selling some tips so it’s obvious to me there’s people using the platform. The problem is all the local “hammers” absolutely hate me putting out information. I fish for a living, doing guide trips and what not. This is a great way for me to supplement my income and help others out. Not to mention, my phone blows up after a good day on the water with people wanting to know how, and now I’m providing that at a small cost.

most of the people buying the tips seem to be people that only get a day or two to fish a month, and want to maximize their time on the water. I feel like I’m helping others and at the same time helping to add income to my business.

I also understand that the locals are upset because people aren’t having to work for the info, but the people buying could give two sh%#’s about tournament fishing.

so let’s hear it, the good and the bad. I know there’s a lot of people against it, but I’m just wondering what y’all’s take on this is.

I would never buy a fishing tip. Never.

3. Member
    I mean if fishing is your living, then by all means do what you do. I more shocked there’s people out there paying it with all the information out there for free.

4. Member
    Really? This is such a blatant attempt to drive traffic! Are you also selling extended warranties?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    I started posting tips on www.fishtips.com, and so far it seems to be a pretty cool platform.

I get some awesome feedback and am selling some tips so it’s obvious to me there’s people using the platform. The problem is all the local “hammers” absolutely hate me putting out information. I fish for a living, doing guide trips and what not. This is a great way for me to supplement my income and help others out. Not to mention, my phone blows up after a good day on the water with people wanting to know how, and now I’m providing that at a small cost.

most of the people buying the tips seem to be people that only get a day or two to fish a month, and want to maximize their time on the water. I feel like I’m helping others and at the same time helping to add income to my business.

I also understand that the locals are upset because people aren’t having to work for the info, but the people buying could give two sh%#’s about tournament fishing.

so let’s hear it, the good and the bad. I know there’s a lot of people against it, but I’m just wondering what y’all’s take on this is.
    Not much different that hiring a guide to me. I could easily see a guy who gets little time to fish using it. Especially if its a vacation etc where maybe its a once a year deal at an unknown lake to them. If you spent time fishing a lake and know some techniques or areas you want to post for the world to see at a cost rock it.

However let the crying start in 3... 2... ohh wait im sure its started already.

6. Member
    I'm from out of town and only have a few day's, where do I send the money?

My Bucket list as follows. Make a nice side hustle Guiding local waters, Set up a Air BnB and have a complete BBQ food service on said Air BnB for guided touring guests. Don't sell your self short and go after your dreams. My only beef with you selling your tips is that you may be stepping on others toes if you are selling tips given to you in secret thinking they would stay a secret. Some fishing tips are hard to come by others you just have to ask the wright question from the write person. If your sales relate to fishing hole or pattern then they can die quick and you end up shooting your self in the foot over all in the end as you may find it hard your self to locate fish if every one is fishing your way, Huh
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    My Bucket list as follows. Make a nice side hustle Guiding local waters, Set up a Air BnB and have a complete BBQ food service on said Air BnB for guided touring guests. Don't sell your self short and go after your dreams. My only beef with you selling your tips is that you may be stepping on others toes if you are selling tips given to you in secret thinking they would stay a secret. Some fishing tips are hard to come by others you just have to ask the wright question from the write person. If your sales relate to fishing hole or pattern then they can die quick and you end up shooting your self in the foot over all in the end as you may find it hard your self to locate fish if every one is fishing your way, Huh
    Ive always thought something similar would be cool. Except I would have a dock with a bbq joint inside. I suck at fishing and no one would pay me to take them out.
    Ohh well when the lotto comes through

9. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missedone View Post
    Really? This is such a blatant attempt to drive traffic! Are you also selling extended warranties?
    it’s not, if I was trying to drive traffic I would have put it in the OK forum… I’m looking for feedback. Get off your soap box bro

10. Member
    I would consider it for a short trip to a new lake. I definitely fit your target audience description. Two trips come to mind, both were working trips where I took my boat and only had a few hours in the evening and one full day per weekend. Story short, in both cases it was somewhat of a bent rod pattern that got me clued in. In both cases I was doing okay but really stepped up after I got a clue of what the locals were doing. I have considered hiring a guide in situations like that but never did. So yeah, in a situation where you have little time to make the most of it I might do it. I would feel strange getting waypoints and would rather get general info like depth, which end of the lake, ledges vs shallow cover, etc.

If you pay the fee do you get to ask some number of questions? Kind of like asking the genie three wishes.

11. Member
    Sorry but I love this sport way too much and if I have the ability to share information with a fellow sportsman to improve his success, then I believe I would feel like an absolute douche bag telling him I'm happy to help you but you need to pay me first. But that's just me.. I won't sell lures on here at a cost way over retail either and I see people do that so... You must do what you feel good about doing I guess.

12. Member
    As I left the lounge I started scrolling down the list of subjects and stopped off at "Clever Tips and Ideas". I like to see if anyone has anything good to offer up; then I realized these tips are mentioned just to help each other out... Made me think of you selling your proclaimed valuable information. Again, that's just me. I offer you success in your endeavors.

13. Member
    For a full time guide who can earn some extra income from people calling looking for tips, I think it’s fantastic.

For the guy who put his time in finding what he thinks a good sneaky spot that’s been given to a bunch of people on fishtips, it absolutely sucks.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    If I was driving from several hours away to fish Stripers on a 100 mile long-1000 mile shoreline lake over a 100ft deep, I would take all the info. I could get and pay if in reason. Same with any lake for the first time be it Bass, Walleye, Crappie etc.

15. Member
    Part of the fun for me is figuring it out, so I don’t see a reason to get tips. Rarely fish tourneys, and if I do they are fruit jar one's. If I win great, that means I figured it out, if I don’t catch a fish, oh well, learn from it.

Good company, great scenery, a nice cigar, safely back to ramp define a great fishing day for me.

If you can get people to pay you for fishing tips, good on you.

17. Member
    The free market will decide the long time success. It’s not right or wrong, it’s just if there are enough people to demand the service to make it worth while.

18. Member
    Why not do it. Fishtips is a great idea. Many dating apps out there doing a very similar thing. Could call them Beeftips, since most of what they offer is location of cows.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    yep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast