Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BassMaster Auto enrollment with out authorization!

Just saw my bank get charged almost $40 for BassMaster. I can only assume they set up my account for auto enrollment when I don't recall selecting to re-enroll after the anual subscription ran out.

Edit: As of today Jan 15, 2024

I just contacted BassMaster Magazine customer service and they removed the auto renew then issued a full refund. Was quite painless. I was not expecting it to be so easy.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 01-15-2024 at 04:42 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    I haven't got Bassmaster for a few years now. Yesterday got an offer of $8 for a year and $12 for 2 years. Give them a call and tell them stop the autopay.

Yeah and my bank to reverse the charges. Magazine has been pretty thin lately and Jan thru Feb this year = 1 issue.

Could just call and cancel it. Nah that's too easy.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Just saw my bank get charged almost $40 for BassMaster. I can only assume they set up my account for auto enrollment when I don't recall selecting to re-enroll after the anual subscription ran out.
    You may have had to opt out of auto renew when you subscribed. I think there are 10 issues per year so a couple of months are skipped and while the magazine is thinner than it once was I think the amount of info remains the same but there is less print advertising than in past years - same thing can be seen with the auto magazines such as Car and Driver as info moves to the internet.

6. Member
    I got that too. Threw it in garbage

Its common practice that a lot of subscription services have it in fine print that they auto re-new unless you opt at at the beginning of the agreement. To combat not having to read all the fine print and selecting the opt out option I pay for subscriptions in money orders. This way they have no way of auto billing.

8. Member
    I pay by check so no worries here.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Yeah and my bank to reverse the charges. Magazine has been pretty thin lately and Jan thru Feb this year = 1 issue.

10. Member
    Went through the same thing for a couple of years.. each time, thinking.. Oh I'll keep it another year, since its paid and then forget till I finally get charged again. Sad thing it went from being a true magazine in that time to being a stapled instead of bound, and the content a weak reminder of its old self.. they made it literally as hard as possible to cancel the damn thing. Can't blame them really.. trying to keep a magazine alive these days is probably not easy business.

My days of getting a magazine subscription using a credit card are over. They all have it in the fine print that they will automatically renew.

12. Member
    I thought everyone knew the auto renewal was a pretty standard thing in these types of scenarios. Need to be extremely cautious when subscribing to stuff. Good luck; hope it works out for you

ah my bank is pretty good about this stuff. I'll see how it plays out. Usually have to wait until the money transfer is complete to get any where with a reversal claim. I did not authorize the payment so Meh. Pretty shady practice though. I use to pay by check but don't recall how I paid this last time.

If you login to your account, you can turn off the auto renewal. Then the will email you when it is time to renew. I finally turned it off because the price was so high and now get email with better price for the renewal

15. Member
    I no longer subscribe to BASS. When I did I did it the BBC way. I paid them cash on the barrel . No problem unsubscribing. . Automatic renewals are a pain in the posterior.

16. Member
    Best thing to do is turn off auto-renewal, let subscription run out. They will email you and stalk you on Facebook with special $15 offers. The lures package they send is worth as much. #winning.

17. Member
    Very sorry for your loss.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Last week I got an email from BASS saying thank you for your subscription. I’ve been a life member for 30 years!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    They all do this. Especially new streaming services that will sign you up for a free trial. Even the Mississippi wildlife management department got me for several hundred dollars on a hunting license renewal. Purchased license on phone one year. Next year got hit with the charge with no warning. And not possible to cancel. Even those that do warn you they do it by email knowing the majority of them will go to spam folders and never be checked.

COMMON PRACTICE for a long time now. Like others have said---it's in the fine print and we agreed to it when making first purchase.
    XM radio promised to turn me in for lack of payment when I cancelled the card they had on file for me.
    Took several calls to get that chit straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast