Thread: Square bill rod

Square bill rod

What is a good rod for throwing mainly 1.5 square bills around cover?

2. Member
    I have 3 dedicated SB rods and like them all. Kistler Reel N Feel, Cashion John Crews SB rod and Dobyns XP 705CB Glass. Cashion is better for the lighter baits and the Dobyns is just great all around.

3. Member
    I really enjoy my ALX IKOS Hustler rod. However, it is a glass rod (although it's not your traditional heavy (weight, not power) glass rod) and a lot of guys prefer a graphite or graphite/glass composite rod for fishing squarebills around cover. It will really boil down to what type of rod you want to throw them on and then from there you'll have several good options for any of them.

For the money this rod cannot be beat!!! They are on sale now for $90. I own 3 of these and use them mainly for square bills. I like the 6'10" version but, the 7' version is fantastic also. Gonna come down to preference between the two.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powe...age-PDCBR.html

5. Member
    I'm not an expert by any means on squarebill fishing. But; I bought the ALX Hustler this year after about a two year decision on where to buy this rod or not.
    I had bought fiberglass rods in the past and hated them. I like this one well enough that I bought a second one. I caught a lot of fish this fall with squarebills and this rod.
    I can make accurate cast and no problem working cranks through lay downs and pulling fish out.

6. Member
    Use square bills a lot post spawn. Dobyns 804 cb has become my go to.

7. Member
    Daiwa Rebellion 7M-G is a sleeper - so light and crisp and sensitive I wasn't sure if there was any glass in it until you load up on a fish and it bends beautifully into the backbone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Daiwa Rebellion 7M-G is a sleeper - so light and crisp and sensitive I wasn't sure if there was any glass in it until you load up on a fish and it bends beautifully into the backbone.
    Yeah man, that rod has been on my radar as a compliment to my custom Mahogany blank GLoomis CBR 845 (from circa 2001).

9. Member
    No doubt, ALX Hustler. That rod is magical with shallow-mid depth cranks.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

10. Member
    The ALX Husler is my go to square bill rod.

11. Member
    Daiwa tatula for my deeper square bills, and megabass z crank for smaller and shallower
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD