Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Updating electronics in older boat...

What fish finders would you mount in an 05 Ranger 185vs that had stock units?
    The number of units available are mind numbing.
    Any input on updating the 24 volt trolling motor?
    I understand that the wiring would need to be addressed.
    Any input would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I think it matters how you fish. My last boat had 2014 units in it and from the time I bought boat until I ordered the second I became an almost 100% shallow water fisherman in florida. honestly all I needed was a decent GPS/mapping at console and a depth / temp. I don't mark structure.

my graphs on my 2024 are relatively cheap but far better then my 2014 units, bigger and far more then I need.

If you structure fish I think the answer may be differnt but don't sleep on a $1000 unit of 2024 that is 10x better then your 200x models
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLTJR View Post
    What fish finders would you mount in an 05 Ranger 185vs that had stock units?
    The number of units available are mind numbing.
    Any input on updating the 24 volt trolling motor?
    I understand that the wiring would need to be addressed.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    It would be good to post what you currently have to help with update suggestions.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    It would be good to post what you currently have to help with update suggestions.
    Going to look at an 05 185 VS tomorrow.
    I believe the units to be dated to the boat.
    Lowrance Elite 5 HDI in the console and up front.
    Appreciate the comments.

On my 2010 188VX I up-graded to an ULTREX (80) from a FORTEX (80) and I went with an HDS 7 Live in the front and an HDS 12 Live in the cockpit. I also up-graded to Power House Lithiums for my 3 batteries.

Spanky

6. Member
    Depends on what you want and what you can afford. 24v trolling motor is plenty for that size boat. Garmin Echomap 93sv when you can find them on sale for $700 are hands down the best value on the market right now for fish finders.

7. Member
    Thanks for the comments. I'm not planning on tournament fishing. Just want decent electronics. Appreciate the info on the Garmin's.

8. Member
    Yep it depend on what you want and how much you want to spend . I just added a Fortex 80 to my Stratos 201 Pro .
    Brought it form a guy in my area , off the board here . It was almost new from a new PHX boat about the size of you'r.

He want one of the newer Spot lock Toller. Mind had a 74 MK . It still run but was getting old when this deal came along .
    Next i will replace my 2 LCX 113 c HD units . As they are getting old also .It what you want to spend .
    I just fish for fun these days and a peace of mind .

Take your time .I bet there will be plenty of unit on sale new and used , Unless you just have to get some ....asap .

In addition to my big boat I also have a 16' bass boat that I use to fish some smaller waters. I have two Lowrance Elite 5 HDI on it. They are just fine for what I use it for. Pretty good detail plus gps, down image and mapping.

I upgraded to the Elite FS9s...more out of the need for a bigger screen than a need for better graphs. Getting old is not for the weak. Trying to upgrade everything at once is probably easier to do, but way more expensive. Look at the "for sale" pages, I'm sure you can find some older units at a good price that are still serious upgrades to what you currently have.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

My opinion. I would add Garmin 93sv and livescope setup to it.
    Very popular units and very good also.

Shoot me a message if you need some good pricing on them.

12. Member
    Find out if it has a in hull transducer in it now , probably does ,Unless you want to epoxy in a different brand you may want to investigate being able to use it . That may for cost and labor be what decides the brand .
    If its connected to the Lowrance unit there now look at the end attached to it , or if it also has a trans on the step of the hull or jackplate does it have a Y connector now ?
    No matter what brand you use that's probably how you want the new to you set up to be , in hull to run on pad - transducer on step or jackplate for sidescan and active imaging if its Lowrance , called different names for the other brands .
    If you update the brand that's there now you may just need adaptor cables for a newer system to use the in hull
    If you want graphs networked then you probably want the graph at the bow to be the same brand ,
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

13. Member
    +1 on the Garmin 93SV units. I just put two on my 2006 Stratos rehab project. Got em for less than $700 and they've been great. Big enough but not so big that they are obnoxious or break the bank.

Also, listen to what majatk said about transducers. I would've likely still gone with Garmin but I ripped out all the old wiring without investigating if the thru-hull transducer could work with the new units...now I need a new thru-hull...my bad.

14. Member
    I did go with everything Garmin - costly but in the end but what I want .

Since I was taking everything out of the battery - gas tank compartment I knew I was putting a new in hull in , but I was first going with Minnkota , it was during the shortages a few years ago . I bought a MK in hull and Y , then thought about ultrex probably was going to brushless soon and didn't want my new stuff dated that quick . switched to Garmin before I went further .
    If on a budget consider what you have and can use .
    If you can get everything one brand , graphs - trolling mtr and ffs .You cant go wrong with Garmin , Lowrance or Johnson Outdoors MK ,
    It would be a good time to pickup a used Ultrex with so many getting the new brushless .
    If your bucks up then pick a brand , like you pick your truck Dodge - Ford - Chevy , you'll probably be loyal for a while .
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

15. Member
    Brand really doesn't matter. They all have their pros and cons.

The best answer is it depends on how you fish and what you want to spend. Also Dont forget the cost of good mapping. The base maps that come with new units are not going to cut it. You can get by with just a gps unit with 2d sonar to be honest. Absolutely no need for all this new tech just to go an fish and have fun.

nothing wrong with the units on the boat now. They are not the same time frame as the boat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    Brand really doesn't matter. They all have their pros and cons.

The best answer is it depends on how you fish and what you want to spend. Also Dont forget the cost of good mapping. The base maps that come with new units are not going to cut it. You can get by with just a gps unit with 2d sonar to be honest. Absolutely no need for all this new tech just to go an fish and have fun.

nothing wrong with the units on the boat now. They are not the same time frame as the boat.
    The base maps that come on the Garmin Echomap unit are great.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Depends on what you want and what you can afford. 24v trolling motor is plenty for that size boat. Garmin Echomap 93sv when you can find them on sale for $700 are hands down the best value on the market right now for fish finders.
    Agreed

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    The base maps that come on the Garmin Echomap unit are great.
    depends on what lakes you fish and if you want satellite imagery or just topo.

19. Member
    Echomap Ultras are the best units on the market for the money right now.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

20. Member
    I'll just chime in as another fan of the Garmin units, especially the 93 and 106.. I have several (3) on my 16ft tin rig and currently installing several on a 92 Ranger... They really are pretty amazing units. If you're used to older electronics, there'll be a learning curve, plenty of time with the owners manual and watching youtube vids, but once you figure out what the units can do, they are light years ahead of what was available in the past..
    Keep an eye out for sales, places like bass pro shops often have them at discounted prices..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast