Ryan_8

Hours on a Fish Finder

Why are people worried about the hours on a fish finder? When selling or listing an unit that is everyone's first question on humminbirds. If the unit is the latest gen model you know it is but only a few years old at most. Does it really matter if the unit has 50, 500, or 5000 hours? For people that always ask how many hours are on the unit, what is consider high? If it is high what are your worries with the unit, even if it may only be a year old? Look at how many hours a computer, phone, or tv gets used with no issues and nobody caring/worrying about the hours. Seems like it is was a sales gimic by someone to try and sell their unit faster and has now become the norm.

Just curious on everyone else's thoughts and opinion. It seems that this only relates to hummingbird and not Lowrance or Garmin.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    They think it’s a good question to ask like asking for boat hours
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    It's pretty meaningless. The more important question is what kind of hours have they been? I troll for Stripers with a pontoon. I would submit that 2,000 hours on my finders would be better than 500 hours on a finder mounted on the front of a ballz out bass boat being hammered by the waves at 60+ MPH.

Most electronic failures occur in the early days of operation, or during shipment anyway.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    May mean something to the repair center? Given a choice I will take lower. But as Sly says it depends. If you are the seller high is not important. I got a demo model once with 500 hours.(BPS) The keyboard was loose and intermittent. Kids mashing on it in the store. Sent it back and spent a bit more for new.(somewhere else) Used is a crap shoot if you don’t know the seller. Let the buyer beware. Like used cars. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Not sure it matters but why not ask how old or how many hours are on them? I've sold at least 10 units over the years and no one has asked how many hours are on them. My Helix units have over 1000 if not higher hours and they are almost 3 years old. All three of them have been sent in for screen issues and all three are slowly going bad again. I put a lot of hours on everything on my boat since I fish over 200 days a year so if I was buying my boat I would be sure to ask .
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

After selling several used units------IMO, asking for hours comes from tire kickers. Never wound up selling a unit to someone who asked for the hours.

7. Ryan_8
    I've sold three units of the past year and the question was asked several times about the hours on each unit. I understand asking the age/condition of the unit, just don't understand the whole hour phase.

8. Member
    I had a helix 9 G2 with more than 1,500 hours. Zero issues. I’m guessing something else is going on with the screen issues mentioned above. Hours don’t matter at all in my experience.

9. Member
    Funny thing though, people only ask about hrs on Birds. I don't know if hrs are recorded on other brands but hrs are never mentioned in for sale ads.

10. Member
    I've sold a few to a buddy & all had over 2000 hours on them & he's never had a problem with any of them & neither did I.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Not sure it matters but why not ask how old or how many hours are on them? I've sold at least 10 units over the years and no one has asked how many hours are on them. My Helix units have over 1000 if not higher hours and they are almost 3 years old. All three of them have been sent in for screen issues and all three are slowly going bad again. I put a lot of hours on everything on my boat since I fish over 200 days a year so if I was buying my boat I would be sure to ask .

Ive sent in 3 units for repair to Humminbird by using the pre paid method online and NOT one time have I got a used unit back or gotten the same generation even.

I think it matters. Everything wears out and has a lifespan, including electronics. I'd rather have one with 500 or 1000 hours vs one that has several thousand hours on it. Stuff doesn't last forever.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    I think it matters. Everything wears out and has a lifespan, including electronics. I'd rather have one with 500 or 1000 hours vs one that has several thousand hours on it. Stuff doesn't last forever.
    That i agree with but a couple thousand really isn't that many either.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    That i agree with but a couple thousand really isn't that many either.
    That's a good point. Doing the math, that would equate to only 83 days of continuous use. However, extrapolated to actual days on the water, even 2,000 hours could equate to several years of use and pounding waves while running across the lake (and that use could be especially more abusive if that unit was installed at the bow.)
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5